Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

GRU intl->domestic, one ticket, collection of luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:08 am
Original Poster

I searched for an answer to my doubts but found different opinions, so I hope you'll help me to clarify the situation.
I'll arrive to GRU (T3) on AC flight from YYZ and will have next flight on AV to IGU (from T2) on the same ticket. My question is, if my luggage will be checked through in YYZ to final destination (IGU)? Some say I'll have to collect it after arrival to GRU and then take it with me from T3 to T2 in order to check it again for my domestic AV flight to IGU. What are your experiences?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:37 am

Collect luggage and clear customs/immigration then re-check which will be right outside the exit door so no need to carry all the way to T2.
tropikey likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
I find the queues at the domestic recheck area are long during the peak intl arrivals banks, and there isn't (AFAIK) any priority line. I often walk my luggage over to T2
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Hi,

im on the same boat. AC YYZ-GRU-GIG. One ticket

1) is 2h10m enough for transiting in GRU? I->D
2) my GRU-GIG flight is LATAM. what terminal is that and how far is it from AC arrival terminal?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by supatight80
Hi,

im on the same boat. AC YYZ-GRU-GIG. One ticket

1) is 2h10m enough for transiting in GRU? I->D
2) my GRU-GIG flight is LATAM. what terminal is that and how far is it from AC arrival terminal?
If your flight is on time, you should be OK. Most international flights arrive at T-3, but a few arrive at a part of T-2. In either case, you have to claim any checked luggage and recheck it. There are recheck counters for the domestic airlines outside of Customs. Clearing security for domestic flights is normally pretty smooth in my experience. Even if a good size line, it moves along well.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:45 pm

Programs: FB Plat, BA Bronze, Hotels.com
Originally Posted by tropikey
I searched for an answer to my doubts but found different opinions, so I hope you'll help me to clarify the situation.
I'll arrive to GRU (T3) on AC flight from YYZ and will have next flight on AV to IGU (from T2) on the same ticket. My question is, if my luggage will be checked through in YYZ to final destination (IGU)? Some say I'll have to collect it after arrival to GRU and then take it with me from T3 to T2 in order to check it again for my domestic AV flight to IGU. What are your experiences?
tropikey out of interest, how did you get on? I'll be arriving from AMS > GRU > IGU.

Is it still collect and re-check baggage?
Does it matter the airline (KLM > GOL)?
Is there any SkyPriority queue for the recheck in area?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by The doomed
tropikey out of interest, how did you get on? I'll be arriving from AMS > GRU > IGU.

Is it still collect and re-check baggage?
Does it matter the airline (KLM > GOL)?
Is there any SkyPriority queue for the recheck in area?
Not long off the phone to KLM about a related question re luggage allowance on my ticket - and they told me on the call, without me having to ask, that my luggage will be checked right through to IGU. Handy.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
I'm sorry but can't help as my itinerary changed due to bankruptcy of Avianca Brasil and finally I had one night in Sao Paulo before my LATAM flight to Iguacu.
The doomed likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by The doomed
Not long off the phone to KLM about a related question re luggage allowance on my ticket - and they told me on the call, without me having to ask, that my luggage will be checked right through to IGU. Handy.
Yes, they will check the luggage thru to your final domestic destination, but you still need to collect it and go thru customs and then recheck it. I have done this many many times arriving international and then GRU-VIX on GOL, LATAM and Azul.

As for priority, only priority I recall seeing on recheck is the Brazilian version, which is for people over 60, pregnant women, handicapped, etc.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by qfrodo
Yes, they will check the luggage thru to your final domestic destination, but you still need to collect it and go thru customs and then recheck it. I have done this many many times arriving international and then GRU-VIX on GOL, LATAM and Azul.

As for priority, only priority I recall seeing on recheck is the Brazilian version, which is for people over 60, pregnant women, handicapped, etc.
Thats a good interception, glad I posted! Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.