Wiki Posts
Search

Brazilian customs when you stay 16 hours due to transit at airport

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Brazilian customs when you stay 16 hours due to transit at airport

Hello comunity

Im in Asia now and i will come back to my country in few weeks.

Due to some brazilian friends stories i know that Brazilian customs are so hard and dont allow people to enter Brazil with several electronic devices, especially computers. I will travel with two computers, in one hand i will have no problem because Brazil is not my final destination, i just have transit in Sao Pablo, the only problem is that i will wait for 16 hours in Sao Pablo airport for my next trip and i think that technically i must "enter" to the country.

My question is: may i have problems with customs even if Brazil is not my final destination because my transit time is so long?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:01 am

What passport do you hold?
Afaik you need a transit visa for a 16 hour layover.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
What passport do you hold?
Afaik you need a transit visa for a 16 hour layover.
Spanish passport / Argentina passport (Double citizenship)
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by alonsofernandez12
Spanish passport / Argentina passport (Double citizenship)
Visa rules for Brazil are different for those with Mercosul passports. I can't comment about transit rules, transit visa, etc. You need to contact the airline.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
If your luggage is checked through and you're staying airside, there should be no problems whatsoever. If, on the other hand, you need to clear customs, you might need to convince customs to use common sense (not always a simple task). I should think that if they suspect you'll be leaving the computers in Brazil, you might have to leave them "under custody" with customs.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RafKa
If your luggage is checked through and you're staying airside, there should be no problems whatsoever. If, on the other hand, you need to clear customs, you might need to convince customs to use common sense (not always a simple task). I should think that if they suspect you'll be leaving the computers in Brazil, you might have to leave them "under custody" with customs.
Thank you for your reply

It is possible to leave luggage "under custody"?

I mean, I suspect that other people also went through this, and airports are places where everything is considered, then; what is normal procedure when due to long layover or delay you must stay landside and some stuffs you are bringing are in conflict with local customs rules but not in conflict with final destination custom rules??
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by alonsofernandez12
Thank you for your reply

It is possible to leave luggage "under custody"?

I mean, I suspect that other people also went through this, and airports are places where everything is considered, then; what is normal procedure when due to long layover or delay you must stay landside and some stuffs you are bringing are in conflict with local customs rules but not in conflict with final destination custom rules??
If you have to stay landside, you have to go through Brazilian customs, with your luggage.
IMO you are overthinking the implications of traveling with 2 computers. They should both be out of the packaging (to show they are used, not new), and with some personal information (photos, and unimportant files) on them (to look used). One is for work and one personal, right? NBD
Customs checks for Brazilians entering Brazil with multiple electronics may be more stringent than for foreign travelers, so your Brazilian friends' stories may be true---for them. Brazilian customs wants to make sure that Brazilians pay taxes on what they bring in (usually to sell), not scam the government as many try to do.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP enters Brazil with items subject to duty, Brazil will collect the duty., Front line customs officials are there to collect duty. More to the point, have you even determined what the duty would be? There are many items for which it is minimal and thus, even if you are unlucky, it is not worth worrying about.

Last edited by Often1; Feb 26, 2019 at 2:06 pm
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:06 pm

Alonso,

You shouldn't have any problems going thru customs, depending on your passport you may need have a visa (see https://brazil.vfsevisa.com/brazil/online/home/index ). There are some nice hotels near the airport where you can get a good meal and some horizontal time on a comfortable bed. Bon voyage! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.