Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Iguaçu Falls

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Visiting Iguaçu Falls

Planning a visit to Iguazu Falls for 3 days in early February (arriving IGU 10:30am Monday and departing at 5:50pm on Wednesday) and would appreciate feedback on how best to plan an itinerary with the following goals:

- Visiting both sides of Iguazu Falls. My thought is to stay one night in Argentina (near the bus station in Puerto Iguazu?) and one night at the Belmond but I'm not sure where to stay the first night and v.v.
- Boat tour?
- Bird sanctuary?
- Tour Itaipu Dam. Again not sure with respect to when as to visit and transport to/from Itaipu. I guess the hotel can arrange private car transport but wondering if there is a cheaper option.

Last edited by 764toHI; Dec 21, 2018 at 1:35 pm
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:36 pm

Arriving from where? IMO, if arriving and departing from Brazil, there is no reason to stay in Argentina. Stay on the side you will fly out of, to avoid any slowdowns at the border at a crucial time. (The IGU airport is close to the park entrance btw.)
It is a simple local bus trip to the other side of the park. It does not take very long. Take a taxi for more comfort, speed..... and expense. .
The Argentine side has 3 paths; you can do any or all. Some advise getting there early and taking the train to Devil's Throat first thing to beat the crowds. I stayed half a day and used the other half for a boat ride under the falls. You could also take a swim suit and take a dip in one of the popular rivulets in the shade of that side.(It's likely to be very hot and humid.)
I also do not think there is much advantage in staying at the Belmond within the park, where you are dependent on a taxi to eat at other than the hotel restaurant. The Brazilian side of the park has one path and it can be walked in about 2-3 hours, with plenty of time for photos.
IMO the Bird Park is well worth seeing. It is very close to the entrance to the Brazilian side of the park. It takes about 2-3 hours to see, lingering a bit.
In addition to the Belmond, there are lots of resort style lodgings on the road from the park to the town, as well as many in the actual town of Foz, where most restaurants are also located.
Just take a taxi to the dam. Any hotel can arrange for one or simply step onto the street and hail one. Check the tour schedule for the dam itself.
There are boat rides under the falls from both sides. Macuco Safari is the one in Brazil. It's Gran Aventura in Argentina. You will get very wet, so bring a change of clothing.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I'll be arriving from CGH Monday morning and departing to GRU (longhaul back to the US) on Wednesday afternoon. Appreciate the tip regarding the Belmond, didn't feel like I would be getting good value staying there. Was thinking about staying in Argentina one night to better position myself for exploring the falls early in the morning as you described with the following itinerary:

- Monday: Itaipu dam in the afternoon, overnight in Puerto Iguazu
- Tuesday: explore Argentina side, boat tour, return to Brazil and overnight in Foz do Iguaçu
- Wednesday: explore Brazilian falls, bird sanctuary, arrive to IGU ~4pm for 5:50pm flight

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Arriving from where?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.