Connection time at GRU international->domestic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

On March 2 I will arrive at GRU on IB6827 from MAD at 06:35 AM, and from there I'd like to continue to Rio.
Will I have a chance to catch LA3807 to SDU at 08:35 AM? I saw that the MCT was 2 hours, and last time I was at GRU (same routing), I felt that I had to wait 1.5 hours or so at passport control...
Better book a later flight?
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:13 am

I’ve had super quick immigration lines last few times I passed through GRU- think 15 min or so. I’ve run into problems with baggage claim and bag recheck however where one or the other made me wait nearly an hour. In short, yes I think an 835 is possible but I would give myself more time to be safe.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I will be traveling with hand luggage only, so that shouldn’t be a problem.
Do you think it's safe then?
2 hours is exactly the official MCT...

Last edited by ChocolateFactory; Oct 11, 2018 at 4:33 am
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:51 am

Assuming my flight had a solid on time arrival history I would risk it, especially if the next flight I could get on should I miss the connection was only an hour or two later.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm... https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...ng/IB/6827/MAD
Yes, there are other flights, of course, but with other airlines, and it's all not cheap and will only get more expensive as it's carnival season...
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: None no more
Similar situation, if I may: 11:55 am arrival to Term. 3 of GRU , I would like to catch the 14:00 flight to SDU on TAM. It's been ages since I went through GRU, what terminal does TAM domestic (Rio flights) use? No luggage and off the plane from business class. Doable?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Originally Posted by zackery149
Similar situation, if I may: 11:55 am arrival to Term. 3 of GRU , I would like to catch the 14:00 flight to SDU on TAM. It's been ages since I went through GRU, what terminal does TAM domestic (Rio flights) use? No luggage and off the plane from business class. Doable?
Just did something on Dec 18 very similar to what you will be doing. Arrived 10 minutes early at 11:30 in T-3. Was in Business class. Took about half an hour to clear passport control, wait for a checked bag and clear customs. Then rechecked the bag, about another 15 minutes. Had a 2:15 Flight on TAM to VIX. Had time to go to the GOL lounge for a snack. If your inbound is on time, you should not have a problem with no luggage.

Oh, TAM domestic is in T-2, which is comprised of two wings. After you clear security for T-2, to the left is the pier for both International and domestic. The pier to the right is just domestic. Most Tam domestic flights go out of the left hand pier to my knowledge. GOL and some others uses the right hand one. The GOL and TAM lounges if you have time and are eligible, are to the right, thru duty free, on second level.

Last edited by qfrodo; Dec 19, 2018 at 12:45 pm Reason: add TAM location and lounge info
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: None no more
Thanks qfrodo, always great info from you!
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:55 am
Original Poster

I ended up postponing this trip.
I will arrive at GRU from MAD on a Saturday morning at 05:40AM and have to following options to get to SDU (separate ticket, so the connection would not be protected):

08:05AM on GOL (connection time of 2:25h)
08:35AM on LATAM (connection time of 2:55h)
10:15AM on GOL (connection time of 4:35h)

My return flight will depart from GRU at 3:30PM and I have the following options to fly SDU-GRU:

09:35AM-10:40AM on GOL (connection time of 4:50h)
11:40AM-12:45PM on LATAM (connection time of 2:45h)
11:45AM-12:55PM on GOL (connection time of 2:35h)

I can't miss my flight home. Which flights would you choose? GOL is cheapest, but they have one-way pricing, so I could fly LATAM one way and GOL the other, or vice versa.
I have Oneworld status (even LATAM Platinum), but no SkyTeam status. But GOL is cheaper.
I'm slightly inclined to fly GOL both ways because they have more frequent flights. Maybe I can find a cheap flexible ticket.
What would you do?

Edit: Never mind, I ended up booking GOL. They had a cheap flex ticket for the outbound.

Last edited by ChocolateFactory; Jul 6, 2019 at 5:12 am
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Can I hijack this thread?,

I’m arriving into GRU at 6.15 on BA in First. Would it be feasible to get the 8.10 to SDU? Otherwise it is a long wait for the 12.20. I’m thinking of buying a flexible ticket anyway.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

I did that two weeks ago or so. I was first off the plane and was through immigration in 5 minutes.
However, after me two widebody loads of passengers arrived. That could have made for a long wait.
Then I walked 10-15 minutes to the other terminal (one floor up) and went through security again.
I tried to rebook to the earlier flight for free, but it was not just fully booked, but oversold.
So I had to wait in the lounge for ~4 hours.

I would go for the 8.10 flight. But hurry when you leave the aircraft to avoid the lines at immigration.
If you wan to play it safe, 10 is certainly better. But most likely, 8 should work fine.

Oh, and I travel hand luggage only. With checked bags, it would have been a different story.

Edit: Also please be aware that there is no security fast track at SDU, just one large line. I almost missed my flight back because of that.
At GRU, there was no fast track either, but at least they had enough open checkpoints.

Last edited by ChocolateFactory; Sep 4, 2019 at 5:29 pm
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Thanks. There isn’t a 10am option so being able to get the 8.10 is important. Six hours to wait for a connection.

I’m considering going straight to Rio but that doesn’t have a First option on BA. First world problems

The next flight is to EZE so thankfully I’ll avoid SDU on the outbound. It looks a lot closer to the centre than GIG.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Yes, definitely go to SDU. Depending on traffic, it can take up to 2 hours to get from GIG to Copacabana.
From SDU, it’s 15 minutes.
Just be aware that GOL departs from a different terminal than BA (assuming that BA arrives in the same terminal as Iberia). I didn’t see a way to make the connection airside, so you’ll need to clear security again.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:03 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Just be aware that GOL departs from a different terminal than BA (assuming that BA arrives in the same terminal as Iberia). I didn’t see a way to make the connection airside, so you’ll need to clear security again.
All domestic flights are in another terminal, so TAM (and Azul) as well. There is no airside I-D transit as you clear immigration and customs

I'd be comfortable booking a separate ticket 2 hours later, and it seems you understand the risks.

IMO the difference between SDU And GIG is not as extreme as others have made out. I go to Rio 4 times a year and whilst SDU is preferable, I wouldn't die in a ditch over it
Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:18 am
Original Poster

I guess it depends. When we were there for NYE, it was 90-120 minutes from GIG to Copacabana.
Obviously it’s much less when there is less traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.