Int'l to Int'l Connections At GRU Without Visa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Int'l to Int'l Connections At GRU Without Visa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by RafKa
That’s a different situation (int'l to domestic connection). She would be wise to pre-check in online/via the Gol app. She’ll have to go through immigration and customs. The first question is whether she’s a Brazilian national: if so, she’ll clear immigration much more quickly as she’d be able to go through the e-gates by scanning her passport. Once past customs, the walk to T2 is not that long (maybe 15-20 mins at a brisk pace, and with help from the moving walkways), and without bags to check, she can just head to domestic departures and reach her gate up to 20 mins before the scheduled departure time.

I reckon she’ll be at the gate around 9:15am, assuming no delays.
She made it! AA215 was 29 minutes late and she took a bus from T3 to T2.

Thanks for the tips!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by abeyro
It is not a "couple of miles" between the terminals if you connect int'l to int'l (staying airside all the time).
We landed in T3 AF from Paris and then took Aerolinias Argentinas to Buenos Aires from T2
Yes, there's a longish corridor between T3 and T2 but all we marched was something like 15 minutes, a km or so, not a mile or a "couple of miles". :-)
A recent experience, January 2017.
I have two options for my upcoming EU-GRU-BOG flights. GRU-BOG is on Avianca (Business) which departs T2. Both EU-GRU options arrive T3... either Lufthansa (First) with a 2h0m connection or Swiss (First) with a 1h15m connection. Is the T3 to T2 walk still 15 minutes or so and is there any security check along the way?

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: LH Senator, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by SFO777
I have two options for my upcoming EU-GRU-BOG flights. GRU-BOG is on Avianca (Business) which departs T2. Both EU-GRU options arrive T3... either Lufthansa (First) with a 2h0m connection or Swiss (First) with a 1h15m connection. Is the T3 to T2 walk still 15 minutes or so and is there any security check along the way?
any recent experience? is 15min walk accurate?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by swaigiux
any recent experience? is 15min walk accurate?
Should take between 10-20 minutes on both the airside and the landside connections between T3 and T2 at GRU. Speaking from personal experience, as GRU is my home airport
swaigiux likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Would appreciate those in the know with recent experience with International to International transit at GRU. I am arriving from Europe at 6.30am as part of a one way ticket. I am then catching another international flight to Toronto about 14 hours later (separate tickets).

I plan on staying in the transit area as I await my connecting flight and I have carryon bags only.

Will I run into issues (visa requirements) as part of this transit process. I am a dual Canadian/UK citizen.

Many Thanks

CC
Old Nov 26, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Quarter century ago but I did that. Even missed a connection with next flight almost 24 hrs later. Airline (AA) go the authorities to put me up at the airport hotel overnight.
Captain Canuck likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:57 am

Out of curiosity, what’s the reason for this itinerary- a mileage run or something?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 5:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
Would appreciate those in the know with recent experience with International to International transit at GRU. I am arriving from Europe at 6.30am as part of a one way ticket. I am then catching another international flight to Toronto about 14 hours later (separate tickets).

I plan on staying in the transit area as I await my connecting flight and I have carryon bags only.

Will I run into issues (visa requirements) as part of this transit process. I am a dual Canadian/UK citizen.

Many Thanks

CC
In order to board your flight from Europe, you’ll need to meet all of the current Brazilian entry requirements, whatever those are. Without those you’ll be denied boarding.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 6:23 am

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Thanks all for the feedback. It is indeed a mileage run (LGA-YYZ-ZRH-BCN-ZRH-GRU) all in J for around $1K. The GRU-YYZ add on is repositioning back home.

I am fully vaccinated and will do a PCR test prior to my flight to GRU, so believe I should be ok with entry requirements (but will review those again now to be sure).

Just wanted to know if it is an issue being in the transit area that long if my trip is not all on the same PNR ?

Cheers

CC

Update on entry requirements :

If flying, before boarding, all arrivals must present a negative PCR test performed within 72 hours or a negative antigen test taken within 24 hours of boarding, as well as a traveler's health declaration form to their airline before boarding which can be completed online.
baqnav likes this.

Last edited by Captain Canuck; Nov 27, 2021 at 6:31 am Reason: update
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If Spain is the destination on the ticket you’ll of course need to meet those entry requirements as well.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 5:28 am

Yes - spending a night in BCN on the way and all clear for those entry requirements. I am still not sure about the 14 hours or so waiting in GRU for my connecting flight (that was a 2 hour connection when I originally booked it )

CC
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Yes - spending a night in BCN on the way and all clear for those entry requirements. I am still not sure about the 14 hours or so waiting in GRU for my connecting flight (that was a 2 hour connection when I originally booked it )

CC
There is a Marriott fairly close 8-10 minute Uber ride. I have used this in the past.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Brandinho1
There is a Marriott fairly close 8-10 minute Uber ride. I have used this in the past.
My daughter quite liked staying there an entire day after missing her connecting flight last month. Too bad there’s no airport shuttle.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by boboqui
My daughter quite liked staying there an entire day after missing her connecting flight last month. Too bad there’s no airport shuttle.
They do have a shuttle but it only runs until Midnight. I have always arrived after midnight lol. It picks up from Terminal 3 I believe
Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:09 am

CC
As a quick update on this, I returned from GRU this am without any issues. Arrived at GRU from ZRH yesterday am to a massive crowd of people waiting to go through immigration - it was chaotic and social distancing was nowhere to be seen. After about 45 minutes of this I finally made it to the International Connections line on the floor below - of the massive swarm of people, I was the only one that went this way. No passport check, only security to scan luggage and confirm I had a onwards boarding pass. From there I went up 1 floor to the transit hotel, had breakfast a hot shower and a nap. No issues at all with being there a full day.

CC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.