Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Where to buy Champagne in Rio?

Where to buy Champagne in Rio?

Old Dec 24, 16, 9:37 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,641
Where to buy Champagne in Rio?

I am flying from Punta del Este via VCP to SDU in a few days. I need champagne which I can buy at duty free in PDP ($45), and I think on arrival in VCP ($65?), but prefer not to check in bags.

Is it possible to buy champagne in Rio at reasonable cost?
erik123 is offline  
Old Dec 24, 16, 3:16 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Monte Sereno, California
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,398
I would go to Gran Cru in Leblon, Safra Wine Store in Copacabana, and in Barra at the New York City Shopping center there are a few wine stores in the area. Cost wise you maybe better off buying a sparkling from Chile or Argentina.
Radiant Flyer is offline  
Old Dec 25, 16, 5:36 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 142
The standard champagne (espumante) is Brut and can be purchased at any grocery store really for about 75 reais. Its totally fine to my unsophisticated taste buds.
Esmjb is offline  
Old Dec 26, 16, 3:19 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Programs: BA Oneworld
Posts: 555
Any of the Zona Sul shops (it's a chain of stores called Zona Sul, rather than any shop in the area defined as zona sul). Otherwise, Deli Delicia is a high-end chain. There is no cheap champagne in Brazil; expect to pay well over the price you can get in Europe or the US.
BrianWBrazil is offline  
Old Dec 26, 16, 9:47 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DUD >> HKG/SIN?
Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Posts: 1,527
Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
I am flying from Punta del Este via VCP to SDU in a few days. I need champagne which I can buy at duty free in PDP ($45), and I think on arrival in VCP ($65?), but prefer not to check in bags.
Note that there are no restrictions on carrying liquids on domestic flights in Brazil, so you would be able to buy your duty free champagne in Uruguay and take it as carry-on all the way through to SDU. FYI a bottle of Veuve Clicquot in Rio will cost you at least U$100.
RafKa is offline  
Old Dec 26, 16, 10:16 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sao Paulo, Brazil
Posts: 310
Brazilian sparkling wine can be very good and at acceptable prices ( Cave Geisse is my favorite ). For champagne expect to pay roughly double the cost of US or Europe.
pvdecastro is offline  
Old Dec 26, 16, 7:19 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,641
Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
Note that there are no restrictions on carrying liquids on domestic flights in Brazil, so you would be able to buy your duty free champagne in Uruguay and take it as carry-on all the way through to SDU. FYI a bottle of Veuve Clicquot in Rio will cost you at least U$100.
Thanks to all. Very helpful. It's a gift so needs to be the French kind.
erik123 is offline  
Old Jan 7, 17, 2:53 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: DUS, BRU
Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB Plat.), LH MM, Iberia plus, HH & Bonvoy Gold, Chevalier de la zagte berm
Posts: 400
Originally Posted by pvdecastro View Post
For champagne expect to pay roughly double the cost of US or Europe.
Actually more than triple in comparison to France and Belgium.
wuzziduzziman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread