Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tourism Minister proposes to waive visa requirements for some nationalities

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:16 am

https://exame.abril.com.br/brasil/po...para-o-brasil/

“O fim da reciprocidade diplomática beneficiaria a nossa economia”

Overall a good article but they stick this part at the bottom which in my opinion should be the second thing they talk about (after the violence but before the total lack of infrastructure. Alas some people like to cut off their nose to spite their face...
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Esmjb
https://exame.abril.com.br/brasil/po...para-o-brasil/

“O fim da reciprocidade diplomática beneficiaria a nossa economia”

Overall a good article but they stick this part at the bottom which in my opinion should be the second thing they talk about (after the violence but before the total lack of infrastructure. Alas some people like to cut off their nose to spite their face...
If Brazil were serious about increasing tourism, they need to end the reciprocity fee for Americans. I'm guessing the elimination of the cumbersome visa process will increase American tourism, but only a little. It's still $160, which is a lot because few Americans feel they NEED to visit Brazil.

If you eliminate the fee, more Americans will come. They apparently like what they see. They tell friends, and the friends come, too. More people come, and you get more infrastructure. That attracts more people and more "buzz." And then you get a "normal" tourist industry.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
If Brazil were serious about increasing tourism, they need to end the reciprocity fee for Americans. I'm guessing the elimination of the cumbersome visa process will increase American tourism, but only a little. It's still $160, which is a lot because few Americans feel they NEED to visit Brazil.

If you eliminate the fee, more Americans will come. They apparently like what they see. They tell friends, and the friends come, too. More people come, and you get more infrastructure. That attracts more people and more "buzz." And then you get a "normal" tourist industry.
Until the economic crisis, and hence the "crime problem", is significantly reduced, eliminating fees isn't going to do much toward promoting tourism. The rot in Brazil is both from the bottom up and from the top down, and effects the tourism industry in a way that will never generate "buzz" (in a positive sense).
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Do we have to do it this way? I happen to live very near a consulate that has always been easy to deal with and quick. Are they going to do away with visas in person altogether? (I'd rather shop for most things brick and mortar too, LOL) Minority opinion, I know.
No. The old process will still be valid. There will be some differences regarding visa duration with the e-visa. If I'm not mistaken, the E-visa will have a maximum duration of 2 years, and no more than the duration of your passport. If you wish to apply through the old method, you can still get the 10-year visa. Visa fees will be the same.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:11 am

Good. Thanks. Pay the same for 2 years or 10 years? Easy choice.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Good. Thanks. Pay the same for 2 years or 10 years? Easy choice.
I think so too, especially since most Brazilian consulates in the US do visas by mail. But some may prefer to have the e-visa...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
OK. Here is a brief recap:

Max Beltrao proposes to eliminate the visa requirement for citizens of the US, Canada, Australia and Japan. This could be extended to other nationalities, e.g. China.
Policy with be similar to what was done around the Olympics.
Idea is to increase tourism; the extra revenue would exceed by far the revenue from the visa requirement and "reciprocity fee".
Initially the move would be for one year and then results reviewed to consider making the changes permanent.

No timeline was mentioned.
I agree with this, and on the other hand, it is time for Brazil and these countries to sign said necessary documents to make non-visas travel to these countries.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Panam Clipper
OK. Here is a brief recap:

Max Beltrao proposes to eliminate the visa requirement for citizens of the US, Canada, Australia and Japan. This could be extended to other nationalities, e.g. China.
Policy with be similar to what was done around the Olympics.
Idea is to increase tourism; the extra revenue would exceed by far the revenue from the visa requirement and "reciprocity fee".
Initially the move would be for one year and then results reviewed to consider making the changes permanent.

No timeline was mentioned.
I fully agree with this proposal. The Brazilian Government should have done this a long time and especially with the countries where most tourists come every year to Brazil and this would attract a greater number of tourists to the country and thus a greater profit that could be used to create more workplaces and infrastructure in the country. To US EC countries, Mexico, Canada argentina and many others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.