Wiki Posts
Search

GRU Intl to Intl connection, not on same ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

GRU Intl to Intl connection, not on same ticket

Hi, I have a question about connection times at GRU on two different tickets

I will be landing at GRU at 8:55am on a Saturday on an AA flight (already ticketed). I'm hoping to visit Uruguay for a side trip and there is a 10:20am GOL flight to Montevideo that same day - 1:25h connection on a different ticket, is that possible at all?

The other choice would be a 10:50pm flight that same day, so I would get to check out Sao Paulo during the day and then hike back to GRU at night.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
I think that is very risky. If not on the same itinerary you will not be able to use the recheck counters outside of Customs (This is what GOL told me on my last trip). Instead, you will need to go to the regular checkin counters in the terminal and who knows what lines will be like there, even if you clear thru passport control and Customs quickly. Aren't there other flights to Montevideo that leave before the 10:30pm flight you mention? While you might see some of Sao Paulo by taking that later flight, a good part of the time may be spent sitting in the famous Sao Paulo traffic, even on a Saturday.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Very unlikely you'd make the GOL flight.

Note if you're a visa/reciprocity national then you need to get one/pay when transiting on different tickets.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the morning flight is not gonna work. There's another flight around 1pm but transiting in AEP. Rather than spending most of the day in airports/transit, I will just take the night flight and enjoy Sao Paulo during the day.

Thanks for the help!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
Originally Posted by feelhong
Hi, I have a question about connection times at GRU on two different tickets

I will be landing at GRU at 8:55am on a Saturday on an AA flight (already ticketed). I'm hoping to visit Uruguay for a side trip and there is a 10:20am GOL flight to Montevideo that same day - 1:25h connection on a different ticket, is that possible at all?

The other choice would be a 10:50pm flight that same day, so I would get to check out Sao Paulo during the day and then hike back to GRU at night.

Thanks in advance!
So, I've done this at least twice before, and was fine. Each time, I only had carry on luggage and an electronic boarding pass to get thru the international connections check point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.