Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Everyone participating in the Olympic water games will enjoy being number one & two!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Everyone participating in the Olympic water games will enjoy being number one & two!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Talking Everyone participating in the Olympic water games will enjoy being number one & two!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...mment-64463621
Old Dec 3, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster

People in Rio are so used to pollution in the beach that nobody pays attention to it anymore.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:58 am

The world press has become hyper-aware of it because of the Olympics, but it is not a new problem.
It must be at least 10 years ago now that Globo (the major Brazilian media empire) did a report on high fecal coliform levels in the sand at major beaches in Rio and elsewhere in Brazil. (including my favorite beach in Salvador, regular visits to which hasn't killed me yet :-) Most of that bacteria gets into the sand from polluted water.
A couple of years ago, there was a report on the water being polluted in the showers at the postos in the Zona Sul.
Every time there is a heavy, flooding rain, the streets of Rio run with contaminated water.
And now we're hearing about viruses too.
Picking Guanabara Bay, with it's very narrow opening to the sea and long history of pollution, for competitions was not perhaps the wisest though.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 9:31 am

When I lived in Ipanema 20 years ago, I knew the main beaches were often polluted. Many people did, but still went. Barra de Tijuca beaches known as cleaner. Guanabara Bay far worse but some locals still swam there. Treatment of wastewater in Brazil is often seriously lacking. Now with big budget cuts looming, promises of cleaner water may be all that's coming.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:37 pm

this isn't the best video to share but I can't find the better ones. Sao conrado might be the most disgusting of all because you can see so clearly in the best videos the brown water just streaming into the ocean.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.