Using 2 Passports in Brazil

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using 2 Passports in Brazil

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by joer1212
I'll have to call 4 airlines: United (IAD-GRU); Turkish (GRU-EZE); KLM (EZE-SCL); American (SCL-MIA). If any of these don't accept 2 passports, the whole idea is dead.

Before I call, do you think it's too late to have my ticket name changed from "Joseph" to "Giuseppe"? This would be a lot easier and more comprehensive than getting all the airlines to agree to accept 2 passports. I would have to call several airlines if I went with the latter option (United, American and KLM-- the other airline segments fall under United because they were purchased with their miles. KLM was purchased w/o miles, and would have to be called separately).

You still have to board the AA flight with the US passport in the name of Joseph.
And really, the US bound flight is likely to be the most careful about anything that looks like terrorism (flight purchased by "someone else's" credit card, not Giuseppe, etc; no ESTA or visa for the US for Giuseppe)
Old Sep 27, 2015, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
You still have to board the AA flight with the US passport in the name of Joseph.
And really, the US bound flight is likely to be the most careful about anything that looks like terrorism (flight purchased by "someone else's" credit card, not Giuseppe, etc; no ESTA or visa for the US for Giuseppe)
Actually, that wouldn't be a problem at all because Chile does not require a visa, nor charges a reciprocity fee. I would be free to enter and exit the country with my U.S. passport.

Last edited by joer1212; Sep 28, 2015 at 2:32 pm
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
What I implied in my previous post was that immigration is one thing and ticketing is another. Immigration officers do not care if/how you are allowed into the USA, that's an issue US Homeland Security and the airline have to deal with. They only care whether you are allowed into Argentina/Brazil, and when you leave they need your exit data to match the entry records.

At least in Argentina (and I'm pretty confident it's the same in Brazil), you will not be able to enter the country with the Italian passport and to leave it with the US one. However, you can show one passport at the check-in desk (e.g. the US one) and the other one at the immigration counter (e.g. the Italian one). I have done this multiple times in the States, in South America and in Europe and never ever encountered a single problem. Check-in agents and immigration officers are very used to this practice. For instance, when I travel to the USA, I show my EU passport to the check-in agent and my Argentine passport to the immigration officer, which is the one I use to leave Argentina. Yeah, I use the same name in both passports, but they are issued by different countries, have different expiry dates and even differ in my place of birth (one says my hometown, the other just says my country of birth). Immigration officers on arrival rarely check whether your passport name matches the name on the boarding pass, and if they do you have a valid reason, plus Joseph is the translation of Giuseppe, it's not that you are called Mario and your other passport says your name is Vladimir.

I insist you shouldn't worry so much.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marambio
Are you implying that I should not bother to get a Brazilian visa, and just use my Italian passport for everything?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Are you implying that I should not bother to get a Brazilian visa, and just use my Italian passport for everything?
If I were you, I would use the Italian passport for everything except for leaving/entering the USA. If you are too afraid of doing it, you can just pay the reciprocity fee and apply for a Brazilian visa. It's only money!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:43 am

What I implied in my previous post was that immigration is one thing and ticketing is another. Immigration officers do not care if/how you are allowed into the USA, that's an issue US Homeland Security and the airline have to deal with. They only care whether you are allowed into Argentina/Brazil, and when you leave they need your exit data to match the entry records.

At least in Argentina (and I'm pretty confident it's the same in Brazil), you will not be able to enter the country with the Italian passport and to leave it with the US one. However, you can show one passport at the check-in desk (e.g. the US one) and the other one at the immigration counter (e.g. the Italian one). I have done this multiple times in the States, in South America and in Europe and never ever encountered a single problem. Check-in agents and immigration officers are very used to this practice. For instance, when I travel to the USA, I show my EU passport to the check-in agent and my Argentine passport to the immigration officer, which is the one I use to leave Argentina. Yeah, I use the same name in both passports, but they are issued by different countries, have different expiry dates and even differ in my place of birth (one says my hometown, the other just says my country of birth). Immigration officers on arrival rarely check whether your passport name matches the name on the boarding pass, and if they do you have a valid reason, plus Joseph is the translation of Giuseppe, it's not that you are called Mario and your other passport says your name is Vladimir.

The problem is not passport control, it is the airline that checks the visa and denies boarding.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boboqui
The problem is not passport control, it is the airline that checks the visa and denies boarding.
Yes, exactly.
And, "calling the airline" is not the panacea some would have me believe, because the person I speak to on the phone will not be the same person I will be dealing with upon check in.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

If I were you, I would use the Italian passport for everything except for leaving/entering the USA. If you are too afraid of doing it, you can just pay the reciprocity fee and apply for a Brazilian visa. It's only money!
At this point, I think I may have to bite the bullet on this one, and simply pay the fees, unpleasant as it may be.
If I take a chance, and decide to travel without the visa and reciprocity fee, I will be anxious throughout (and leading up to) my trip. It would ruin the experience, which would make the trip pointless. Even worse, there is the very likely possibility that I would actually be denied boarding. The best way to look at it is that the cost of peace of mind is $320, and I think it's worth it.

Another thing that just occurred to me is this: Even if my Italian passport was under the name 'Joseph', I would still be required to leave the U.S. with my American passport. This might create a conflict when I check in for my flight, and the agent sees no visa in my American passport. Showing her my Italian passport may not solve the issue because she may be required to record the visa number, or other such passport info when checking me in. And, she would not be able to record my Italian passport info because only the information of one passport can be officially entered into the record, not two.

Last edited by joer1212; Sep 28, 2015 at 2:35 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:17 am

You are waaaay over-thinking things.
You've been told that people fly with two passports pretty commonly, so the last half of your ramblings is your imagination.
Clearly you comfort level would be higher for this trip if you paid the fees and simply used your US passport. Do not delay in applying for the Brazilian visa, as processing times can be long, particularly the closer to NYE and Carnaval it gets.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
You are waaaay over-thinking things.
You've been told that people fly with two passports pretty commonly, so the last half of your ramblings is your imagination.
Clearly you comfort level would be higher for this trip if you paid the fees and simply used your US passport. Do not delay in applying for the Brazilian visa, as processing times can be long, particularly the closer to NYE and Carnaval it gets.
They are not "ramblings". They are very legitimate concerns. Thank you.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:20 pm

They are not "ramblings". They are very legitimate concerns. Thank you.
Ignore the negativity, this thread was actually very interesting and I even learned something about myself that I was not aware of!

As the designated travel agent in the family, I tried to find a booking for my daughter "Rachel" under her Brazilian name "Raquel", then it occurred to me @:-) that I completely disassociate how I say her name to how I write her name.

Now that you decided to pony up the monies, are you going to change your name so this does not happen again in the future?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA, United, British Airways, Alaska Air
Another thing that just occurred to me is this: Even if my Italian passport was under the name 'Joseph', I would still be required to leave the U.S. with my American passport. This might create a conflict when I check in for my flight, and the agent sees no visa in my American passport. Showing her my Italian passport may not solve the issue because she may be required to record the visa number, or other such passport info when checking me in. And, she would not be able to record my Italian passport info because only the information of one passport can be officially entered into the record, not two.
Au contraire, I have dual citizenship (USA/Germany) as well, and when I got to the gate to go to Brazil, they asked me why I didn't have the visa - I just told them I am a dual citizen of Germany and the US, the lady asked to see the German passport, she entered in a few things in her computer, and that was the extent of it. It really was not a problem. That said, all of my info on both passports matches... so your situation may be different.

Think about the info provided and go with what your gut says. My $0.02.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:06 pm

I tried to find a booking for my daughter "Rachel" under her Brazilian name "Raquel", then it occurred to me @:-) that I completely disassociate how I say her name to how I write her name.
However, a Brazilian friend in Recife spells her name Rachel, which is pronounced
Rah-kell, so the Raquel spelling is by no means "the" Brazilian way.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Now that you decided to pony up the monies, are you going to change your name so this does not happen again in the future?
No, because I would always have to leave the U.S. with my American passport (see previous comment I made regarding this).
Also, I am named after my grandfather, and anglicizing my name would be a slap in the face to him.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EtoileFilante
Au contraire, I have dual citizenship (USA/Germany) as well, and when I got to the gate to go to Brazil, they asked me why I didn't have the visa - I just told them I am a dual citizen of Germany and the US, the lady asked to see the German passport, she entered in a few things in her computer, and that was the extent of it. It really was not a problem. That said, all of my info on both passports matches... so your situation may be different.

Think about the info provided and go with what your gut says. My $0.02.
Oh, OK. I wasn't aware of this. Too bad my passport names don't match, because I could have saved some money and hassle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.