Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels in Rio

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Hotels in Rio

My wife and I have decided that we would like to go somewhere new for our 10th wedding anniversary next June and have decided to visit Rio. Neither of us have been to Brazil or indeed South America before and despite it being a year away, we are rather excited. I've managed to find two First Class seats on BA so that's taken care of, what I would like some help with, is hotels.

We'll be in Rio for 4 nights and the idea of staying at one of the beachfront hotels on Copacabana or Ipanema seems great. The constant shots of the beachfront as I watch the World Cup reinforces my view daily! In terms of budget, I've looked at the Sofitel and JW Marriott, both of which are around the £250 per night bracket which is fine. A private area on the beach is tempting too.

With that in mind:

1. Is one beach significantly better than the other?

2. Any recommendations as to where we should stay?

3. Should we stay somewhere else in Rio?

4. Any recommendations on things to do and places to eat. I realise that this is a question with an endless answer and there is plenty of stuff on the web, but if you had to list a few things or a must-eat location for Carioca food, where would you suggest?

Thanks in advance,
BiH
Old Jul 3, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Between the Sofitel and JW Marriott both are nice hotels with good beach access. the Sofitel is across the street from the Copacabana Fort and around the corner from Siri Mole, possibly the finest northeastern (Bahia) food to be found. The specialities are seafood in spicy stews. It's been one of my favourites for more than thirty years. The JW Marriott is smaller, but has brat views from the executive lounge and the rooftop pool. A;although the Sofitel has one of the best French restaurants in the city i would not recommend food at the JW Marriott.

The Copacabana Palace is another great option, the grande dame of Rio de Janeiro.

Truth be told Copacabana is the longest beach and has the most varied activity. Many Cariocas think it is "the best" of Zona Sul. Ipanema is smaller, Leblon smaller yet but both of them are less varied and more upscale than is Copcabana.

There are endless options of great restaurants and wonderful things to do and see. In these threads are lots of information. If you'll tell us about your interests and preferences, as well as a bit of information about yourself we'll do our best to help advise you.

There are quite a few regular visitors to Rio on this board, and a few of us live in Rio ourselves and/or are Brazilian.

So, explicitly answering your questions:
1. Truly, the best beach in Zona Sul is a subjective choice. I choose Copacabana. note: my family has lived in Copacabana for more than 50 years, I met my spouse there, among other things so you might consider me to be biased. However, I have other relatives living in Ipanema and Leblon and they're nice too.

2. Were i in your situation as you've described it I would stay in one of the two you mentioned or the Copacabana Palace.

3. No! Stay on a beach in Zona Sul for your first four day visit. Anywhere else is for subsequent visits.

4. For food there are countless options ranging form some of the finest French and Italian food anywhere, outstanding Japanese (there are many millions of Brazilian-Japanese), pizzerias beyond compare, not to mention Brazilian regional cuisine for all regions. If you tell us what you like we'll make recommendations. Also if you need guidance we can advise you of regional Brazlian specialities.

Just to claify when arrive BA FC, your baggage will not be in the hall very long. Baggage handling at GIG is quite good.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Between the Sofitel and JW Marriott both are nice hotels with good beach access. the Sofitel is across the street from the Copacabana Fort and around the corner from Siri Mole, possibly the finest northeastern (Bahia) food to be found. The specialities are seafood in spicy stews. It's been one of my favourites for more than thirty years. The JW Marriott is smaller, but has brat views from the executive lounge and the rooftop pool. A;although the Sofitel has one of the best French restaurants in the city i would not recommend food at the JW Marriott.

The Copacabana Palace is another great option, the grande dame of Rio de Janeiro.

Truth be told Copacabana is the longest beach and has the most varied activity. Many Cariocas think it is "the best" of Zona Sul. Ipanema is smaller, Leblon smaller yet but both of them are less varied and more upscale than is Copcabana.

There are endless options of great restaurants and wonderful things to do and see. In these threads are lots of information. If you'll tell us about your interests and preferences, as well as a bit of information about yourself we'll do our best to help advise you.

There are quite a few regular visitors to Rio on this board, and a few of us live in Rio ourselves and/or are Brazilian.

So, explicitly answering your questions:
1. Truly, the best beach in Zona Sul is a subjective choice. I choose Copacabana. note: my family has lived in Copacabana for more than 50 years, I met my spouse there, among other things so you might consider me to be biased. However, I have other relatives living in Ipanema and Leblon and they're nice too.

2. Were i in your situation as you've described it I would stay in one of the two you mentioned or the Copacabana Palace.

3. No! Stay on a beach in Zona Sul for your first four day visit. Anywhere else is for subsequent visits.

4. For food there are countless options ranging form some of the finest French and Italian food anywhere, outstanding Japanese (there are many millions of Brazilian-Japanese), pizzerias beyond compare, not to mention Brazilian regional cuisine for all regions. If you tell us what you like we'll make recommendations. Also if you need guidance we can advise you of regional Brazlian specialities.

Just to claify when arrive BA FC, your baggage will not be in the hall very long. Baggage handling at GIG is quite good.
This is why I read Flyertalk! jbcarioca thank you so much for your comprehensive answer.

In terms of food, my wife is a vegetarian and I am a very much not with a love of steak in particular. (It works - I just cook two versions of every dish each night!) Whilst I'm sure that there are excellent French and Italian restaurants, living in London I have much the same on my door step. There are far fewer Brazilian restaurants so perhaps some recommendations as to places that serve food from Rio and any other regions that you think are worth trying before others. The size of the Japanese community makes me want to eat Japanese food whilst there too. Anything else you recommend trying please do say. I'm willing to try most food once at least.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:05 pm

To become familiar with city neighborhoods and things to do, take a look at the site www.ipanema.com for an informational overview. Four nights is barely enough time to get a small taste of this marvelous city though.
After you visit the most famous sites, the must-sees like Sugarloaf and the Christ, consider some of the lesser known things I enjoy in Rio:
* a ferry ride from Praca XV across the bay to Niteroi--great views back toward Rio. Visit the fish market for lunch and the Niemeyer designed art museum, perhaps a great local beach, or the city park for more views.
* a visit to the Feira Nordestina to get an idea of the culture, food and music of the northeast
* a night out dancing samba with the locals to a live band at Carioca da Gema in Lapa
* a night at one of the samba school's rehearsals or a feijoada lunch, at their home ground
* coffee and pastry, as a break from walking around downtown to see so e historic buildings, at the classic Confeitaria Colombo
* a meal at Aprazivel, while exploring the architecture, shops and small museum in Santa Teresa, and/or at Bar do Mineiro
* the beach at Joa, if you can find a taxi to get you there and come back for you
* one of the vista points! like Vista Chines, up in Tijuca Forrest
* the waterfall and the koi pond in Tijuca Forrest
* the small museum in Quinta de Bia Vista with some ethnic objects that are truly very fine art, set in a lovely park/zoo

Food:
Also look for Veja magazine's annual list of bests.
Cipriani in the Copa. Palace for Italian
Por kilo places for lunch, great variety with veg options
Arab or Amir restaurants, reflecting that large population
Marius seafood
Antiquarius for Portuguese
Roberta Sudbrack or Claude Troisgois' Olympe or Carame if you want to splash out
Palaphita Kitch for Amazonian inspired cuisine
Street food such as tapioca, a sweet or savory filled pancake
Tropical fruit juices
Fellini's buffet
Galeto de Leblon, feijoada lunch, but not really for vegetarians :-(
Siri Mole for Food from Bahia
That ought to keep you fed for 4 days, don't you think?

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Jul 3, 2014 at 5:07 pm Reason: My bloody iPad keeps changing the spelling!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
To become familiar with city neighborhoods and things to do, take a look at the site www.ipanema.com for an informational overview. Four nights is barely enough time to get a small taste of this marvelous city though.
After you visit the most famous sites, the must-sees like Sugarloaf and the Christ, consider some of the lesser known things I enjoy in Rio:
* a ferry ride from Praca XV across the bay to Niteroi--great views back toward Rio. Visit the fish market for lunch and the Niemeyer designed art museum, perhaps a great local beach, or the city park for more views.
* a visit to the Feira Nordestina to get an idea of the culture, food and music of the northeast
* a night out dancing samba with the locals to a live band at Carioca da Gema in Lapa
* a night at one of the samba school's rehearsals or a feijoada lunch, at their home ground
* coffee and pastry, as a break from walking around downtown to see so e historic buildings, at the classic Confeitaria Colombo
* a meal at Aprazivel, while exploring the architecture, shops and small museum in Santa Teresa, and/or at Bar do Mineiro
* the beach at Joa, if you can find a taxi to get you there and come back for you
* one of the vista points! like Vista Chines, up in Tijuca Forrest
* the waterfall and the koi pond in Tijuca Forrest
* the small museum in Quinta de Bia Vista with some ethnic objects that are truly very fine art, set in a lovely park/zoo

Food:
Also look for Veja magazine's annual list of bests.
Cipriani in the Copa. Palace for Italian
Por kilo places for lunch, great variety with veg options
Arab or Amir restaurants, reflecting that large population
Marius seafood
Antiquarius for Portuguese
Roberta Sudbrack or Claude Troisgois' Olympe or Carame if you want to splash out
Palaphita Kitch for Amazonian inspired cuisine
Street food such as tapioca, a sweet or savory filled pancake
Tropical fruit juices
Fellini's buffet
Galeto de Leblon, feijoada lunch, but not really for vegetarians :-(
Siri Mole for Food from Bahia
That ought to keep you fed for 4 days, don't you think?
I'd hope so! Again, VidaNaPraia many thanks for your truly informative post.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by baggageinhall

2. Any recommendations as to where we should stay?
IMO, Leblon is the best neighborhood, Ipanema second, and Copacabana a very distant third.

I always stay at the Marina Palace in Leblon, there's also a more luxurious Marina Suites right next door. Then there's the Caesar Park in Ipanema (now a Sofitel hotel). All are beach-front, luxurious and excellent.

Then there's the iconic Copacabana Palace, a relic from the gloriuos past.

Here's a good deal on the Copacabana Palace

http://www.luxurylink.com/inventory/...tout=&guests=2
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boboqui
IMO, Leblon is the best neighborhood, Ipanema second, and Copacabana a very distant third.

I always stay at the Marina Palace in Leblon, there's also a more luxurious Marina Suites right next door. Then there's the Caesar Park in Ipanema (now a Sofitel hotel). All are beach-front, luxurious and excellent.

Then there's the iconic Copacabana Palace, a relic from the gloriuos past.

Here's a good deal on the Copacabana Palace

http://www.luxurylink.com/inventory/...tout=&guests=2
Many thanks boboqui. Mrs BiH likes the look of the Copacabana Palace and the history behind it, so it currently looks like our preferred choice though with a year to go, that might change. Thanks too for the website link. There are no deals showing this far in advance, but I will keep checking.

Next June can't come soon enough!
Old Jul 5, 2014, 5:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
This is why I read Flyertalk! jbcarioca thank you so much for your comprehensive answer.

In terms of food, my wife is a vegetarian and I am a very much not with a love of steak in particular. (It works - I just cook two versions of every dish each night!) Whilst I'm sure that there are excellent French and Italian restaurants, living in London I have much the same on my door step. There are far fewer Brazilian restaurants so perhaps some recommendations as to places that serve food from Rio and any other regions that you think are worth trying before others. The size of the Japanese community makes me want to eat Japanese food whilst there too. Anything else you recommend trying please do say. I'm willing to try most food once at least.

Thanks again.
Well, now that you mention it:

Vegan, Vegan is, you'd never guess, a vegan place. They serve a very nice vegan feijoada that we enjoy from time to time. I am somewhat familiar because i was a vegan for years until i succumbed to family pressure.

Vegetarian options are not as prolific here as they are in many places but most higher end restaurants will have either vegetarian options on the menu or will happily accommodate. Ones that do a very nice job are:
Higher end Italians: Gero (Ipanema), Alloro (walking distance from the Copacabana Palace) and Anna (located on Jardim de Allah, cash only, one of the absolute finest Italians).
All the Arab places, Visa da Praia mentioned two of the better ones.

A variety of others. When your time becomes closer we'll be happy to help, because new places are introducing vegetarian options on a regular basis.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Well, now that you mention it:

Vegan, Vegan is, you'd never guess, a vegan place. They serve a very nice vegan feijoada that we enjoy from time to time. I am somewhat familiar because i was a vegan for years until i succumbed to family pressure.

Vegetarian options are not as prolific here as they are in many places but most higher end restaurants will have either vegetarian options on the menu or will happily accommodate. Ones that do a very nice job are:
Higher end Italians: Gero (Ipanema), Alloro (walking distance from the Copacabana Palace) and Anna (located on Jardim de Allah, cash only, one of the absolute finest Italians).
All the Arab places, Visa da Praia mentioned two of the better ones.

A variety of others. When your time becomes closer we'll be happy to help, because new places are introducing vegetarian options on a regular basis.
Now that you bring it up, Mrs BiH is in fact Vegan but if on holiday and she really can't find something vegan, will eat dairy.

I suspect we will make it to Vegan Vegan at some point and I will be Miserable Miserable.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:47 am

Now that you bring it up, Mrs BiH is in fact Vegan but if on holiday and she really can't find something vegan, will eat dairy.

I suspect we will make it to Vegan Vegan at some point and I will be Miserable Miserable.
We, we cannot have that, you must be happy, happy.
So, here is how to keep you both happy:
In Rio, and many Brazilian cities there are restaurants, mostly lunch places, called Comida a Quilo, which are cafeteria-style places where you make your choices, load your place, and pay by weight. Some of them have very good vegan options as well as carnivorous and dairy options too.

So, the first one was the one that started that option in Rio and is one of my personal favourites. in fact, I'll be going there after this post. That is Couve Flor. It is very good, and has a very loyal clientele which includes meat, sushi, vegan and vegetarian. Every day there's tofu, in at least a couple varieties.
It is open every day for lunch 11:45 to 16:00.

Next is one that has an unlimited fixed price buffet and is exceptional. There are now three of these in Rio de Janeiro, all three in shopping centres. Rascal is the name. There are lots of options here too.

Third is one that is famous among the upscale and society-conscious types who populate Rua Dias Ferreira in Leblon. It is Celeiro, another food by weight place.

There are many other options but we'll make certain that you can indulge your carnivorous tendencies while your companion can be gentler to the state of the planet.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 4:53 pm

My advice to you would be to pick up the book Rio for Partiers: http://www.rioforpartiers.com/ Don't let the name fool you, this book is a gold mine of information ranging on what to do when it rains to basic logistics. I read it cover to cover before my trip and it helped out immensely. You definitely feel like less of a tourist with the knowledge. It does cover bars and partying but surprisingly it is a very small part of the book.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by nsummy
My advice to you would be to pick up the book Rio for Partiers: http://www.rioforpartiers.com/ Don't let the name fool you, this book is a gold mine of information ranging on what to do when it rains to basic logistics. I read it cover to cover before my trip and it helped out immensely. You definitely feel like less of a tourist with the knowledge. It does cover bars and partying but surprisingly it is a very small part of the book.
At $2.99 for the full iPad/iPhone version it is hard to argue this is not a decent deal. The photos are 'optimistic' and the reviews of sites, restaurants, etc are vestigial, but still for the money this is well worth the buy, in my opinion. For anything interesting I'd look elsewhere to elaborate on this because it really does not give much detail.

The advice here is given by an active 30'sish Carioca guy, so it should be viewed in that light. It is also out of date in some important ways. For example, the very popular Santa Teresa tram has been out of service for nearly two years and will not be back in service for another year or so at least. Thus, fuggeddaboudit for now. Further, restaurants/night clubs and party spots go in and out of fashion quickly. Check locally before you depend on this, or any other guide. For example, Porcão, recommended for views and food, has gone seriously downhill recently and is often out opt stock on important things and/or with labor strife. Thus, look locally for updates on such matters.

As a Rio de Janeiro resident for a decade I have this book and refer to it from time to time.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Downloaded and added to my reading on the tube next week!

Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Don't forget to try Churasscaria. I am sure your Wife will find something there to eat as well. For meet lovers an absolute paradise. The last time I was in Rio we went to a restaurant that not only had the meat but also seafood. Good salads and other veg options were available. You have to try Cupim if you go......it's the hump of the cow.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Don't forget to try Churasscaria. I am sure your Wife will find something there to eat as well. For meet lovers an absolute paradise. The last time I was in Rio we went to a restaurant that not only had the meat but also seafood. Good salads and other veg options were available. You have to try Cupim if you go......it's the hump of the cow.
All the good churrascaria now have a plentiful supply of sushi, loads of seafood and a wide assortment of hard-core carnivorous things. The serious ones also have an assortment of indigenous animal too.

if you're up for a little trip Churrascaria Oasis in Sao Conrado, Estrada da Joa 136 is one of the old favourites among denizens of the area. There are a couple other Oasis, but they are not the genuine article. This one is known to Carioca's but few others except people who stay in Sao Conrado, know anything about it. It's worth a taxi ride to go here. The variety makes it a good choice for seafood fanciers, sushi mavens and hardened carnivores. Added attraction si that it is less expensive than Porcao and Fogo de Chao that have made themselves less Brazilian than US imitations of Brazilian. I know I'll be flamed for that comment but, for the record, Fogo de Chao is US based, US incorporated despite the two founders being originally from Parana.

For Churrascaria there are many good choices, including the ones I denigrate. Still, some people would actually like to experience the real thing, and this is it. For the record my mother-in-law prefers this one above all others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.