Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Brazil with dual nationality - do I need a visa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling to Brazil with dual nationality - do I need a visa?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Question Travelling to Brazil with dual nationality - do I need a visa?

I'm a US resident and citizen. I also have a UK passport.

US needs a visa for Brazil I understand. Will an airline permit me to board without a visa, intending to use my UK passport for entry? Or will they get funny and deny me boarding?

Anyone with any experience here?

Thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:11 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me move this to the forum dedicated to Brazil, and in that forum, you'll see a consolidated thread discussing some visa issues: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazi...questions.html

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tanglin

US needs a visa for Brazil I understand. Will an airline permit me to board without a visa, intending to use my UK passport for entry? Or will they get funny and deny me boarding?

Thanks!
Dual nationality travellers are well known to GAs.
You will have no problem as both the USA and UK allow dual nationality.
Show THE UK passport when going to Brazil, and the US passport on the return portion.
I have done this myself (though with different passports. )
You will be fine.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks, for moving, and for replying!!!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
Let me move this to the forum dedicated to Brazil, and in that forum, you'll see a consolidated thread discussing some visa issues: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazi...questions.html

Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Thanks for moving this to the right place.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Dual nationality travellers are well known to GAs.
You will have no problem as both the USA and UK allow dual nationality.
Show THE UK passport when going to Brazil, and the US passport on the return portion.
I have done this myself (though with different passports. )
You will be fine.
I'm not up to date with the formalities as I now travel on UK/Brazilian passports. However, would the PF not wish to see an entry stamp on the passport presented for exit? Also the Cartão De Entrada/Saida details would be different?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Embuexpat
I'm not up to date with the formalities as I now travel on UK/Brazilian passports. However, would the PF not wish to see an entry stamp on the passport presented for exit? Also the Cartão De Entrada/Saida details would be different?
That 's not what the poster was saying. You show both passports to the airline when leaving the US ( so they know you can enter and they will not have to return you to point of departure at their expense). You enter and leave Brazil on the UK passport, which does not require a Brazilian visa, and receives a 90 day prazo on entry. On leaving Brazil, the airline at the airport in Brazil will probably not ask about visa status for the US, but if so, just show the US passport. You re- enter the US on the US passport.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
That 's not what the poster was saying. You show both passports to the airline when leaving the US ( so they know you can enter and they will not have to return you to point of departure at their expense). You enter and leave Brazil on the UK passport, which does not require a Brazilian visa, and receives a 90 day prazo on entry. On leaving Brazil, the airline at the airport in Brazil will probably not ask about visa status for the US, but if so, just show the US passport. You re- enter the US on the US passport.
+1 Nail on the head. That is what I was hoping to be the case.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:39 pm

Brazilians who also have US or other foreign passports do something similsr all the time, since they are required to enter and leave Brazil on their Brazilian passport.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:11 pm

Just make sure you do travel with both passports! I've seen people insisting they don't need a visa for YYY nationality while not carrying YYY nationality passport.

Yup. Crazy people.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Back - and happy to report all was as VidaNaPraia said!

Nice first visit to Brazil, I am looking forward to going back next year.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by tanglin

Thanks!
All you need to do is present a passport that does not require a visa when you check in for your flight and present that passport to Brazilian immigration. DO NOT present a passport that does require a visa. They are accustomed to this situation. Remember, if you board the flight in the USA or UK you'll need to present both passports at check in, the one with which you entered you country of departure and the one with which you enter Brazil.

Many of us here on MP have multiple nationalities so there is lots of experience with the various entry exit processes around the world.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Brazilians who also have US or other foreign passports do something similsr all the time, since they are required to enter and leave Brazil on their Brazilian passport.
As US citizens with dual passports are required to travel from/to their home country with their U.S. passport.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
This is a technicality, no doubt, but Brazilians require only a national ID card (RG) to enter and leave Brazil plus whatever documents they require to enter their destination country, and leave the country from which they embark to return to Brazil. While usually in advisable, this absolutely works, as Mrs JBC found when we forgot to renew her Brazilian passport. We embarked on a voyage to seven countries with no Brazilian passport, with entry and exit to Brazil on the RG. Nobody blinked, including our air carriers AF and KL.. The same easy time a week later for a U.S. trip on AA.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
This is a technicality, no doubt, but Brazilians require only a national ID card (RG) to enter and leave Brazil plus whatever documents they require to enter their destination country, and leave the country from which they embark to return to Brazil. While usually in advisable, this absolutely works, as Mrs JBC found when we forgot to renew her Brazilian passport. We embarked on a voyage to seven countries with no Brazilian passport, with entry and exit to Brazil on the RG. Nobody blinked, including our air carriers AF and KL.. The same easy time a week later for a U.S. trip on AA.
And in practice, the Brazilian Consulate has arranged on the spot a travel document so that Brazilian citizens in the US (perhaps without official US documentation, perhaps with an expired Brazilian passport, perhaps needing to leave the US for Brazil under some duress) are able to travel back to Brazil.
The only reports I have ever seen of problems have been with the air carrier into Brazil, which wants to avoid carrying the passenger in question back to the departure point at airline expense.
Afaik, the "requirement" in Brazil stipulates passport, though, not simply (RG) ID, but I can't quote the legal statute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.