Wiki Posts
Search

Customs/Immigration Time at GIG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Customs/Immigration Time at GIG

I am arriving on a Tuesday on UA 129 IAH-GIG at 9:20 AM and trying to plan my day in Rio. Does anybody have recent experience with how much time customs and immigrations take on average for a non-Brazilian? Seems like UA129 is at the tail-end of a bunch of international flights.

Thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I flew it about 10 months ago, and was in the front of BF. There was no immigration line whatsoever when we arrived. YMMV.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 8:57 am
Original Poster

UA129 Customs/Immigration Time at GIG

Thanks for the welcome and the info. Just what I was looking for. No BF, though. Unfortunately.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Platinum; Star Alliance Gold; Starwood Platinum
I was on that flight last week and, like the other poster, I was in BF. the immigration process was quick for my wife and I because we only had to wait for a small number of people in front of us.

A couple of things that you might want to keep in mind:

- My flight was delayed by about 90 minutes due to an equipment problem at IAH, so your experience may be different if your flight is on time.
- By the time my passport was stamped, there was a pretty long line of passengers from my flight behind us, but there were no passengers from other flights in line wi us.
- There were only 3 immigration agents stamping passports, but there were several other staffers trying to keep the line moving by insuring that people had pens and immigration forms filled out while they were waiting in line.
- The process of getting our checked bags was much quicker than expected. Our bags were out within 10 minutes of us clearing immigration check-in.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 1:59 pm

The five or six times I have landed in GIG (from the US) immigration has been quick and relatively easy. Customs seems to be a bit of a long line sometimes. It moves, but I have seen the line add an extra 15 or 20 minutes to my travel time. If you are not checking bags you can reasonably budget about 1.5 hours from landing to Ipanema/Copacabana.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to share my experience -- which was in line with what everybody had been reported. Immigrations and Customs took about 30 min, plenty of time to make a tour leaving from Zona Sul at 1 PM. I just wish US immigrations were that easy...

Thanks for your input.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
Good deal! I will be making this flight next Friday. I hope to be settled in at the hotel by lunch time and sipping a Caipirinha with my meal.
Old May 2, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by FlyingFishMan
Just wanted to share my experience -- which was in line with what everybody had been reported. Immigrations and Customs took about 30 min, plenty of time to make a tour leaving from Zona Sul at 1 PM. I just wish US immigrations were that easy...

Thanks for your input.
If you need local advice while you're here just drop me a PM. I live in Zona Sul.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:25 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Bumping up this thread to check for recent experiences... arriving from JFK on AA around 10:20am... anyone done this recently? Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
Bumping up this thread to check for recent experiences... arriving from JFK on AA around 10:20am... anyone done this recently? Thanks!
That should be later than the majority of early morning arrivals, so things should go quickly.
Also it will be after the rush hour traffic into/around town.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:13 am

Programs: UA 1k
Arrived in GIG on UA129 a couple of weeks ago, on a UK passport (non visa). Admittedly one of the first off the plane but was through immigration in a matter of minutes and walked straight through customs green zone without being stopped.

Also it will be after the rush hour traffic into/around town.
Traffic on the RJ-071 expressway was nose to tail and this was midday on a Sunday. I get the impression that rush hour in Rio is a permenent feature.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
Flew in last week on American out of Miami and got in around 7am. Was seated in economy class in middle of plane. Took me about 15 min to get through immigration and then customs just waved me right through which was quite surprising as the other 5 times I flew in this year I had to put my stuff through the X-ray and many other people had to open up their suitcases and be searched. Looks like you will be in the front of the plane and my guess is you breeze right through.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Arriving at GIG at 13:30 Friday. Will the line be short? I need to get on a call later.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
I've always arrived at GIG between 9-11 AM. But, since the World Cup and Olympics are over, they've really kept their game on track at immigration. I've never been longer than 15 minutes in the line. I go there 2-3 times a year FWIW.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Arrived at GIG at 2pm today from EZE. 1 minute wait at immigration. In my car in 5 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.