Search

Visa Fee for US Citizens just went up to $160

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:32 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Visa Fee for US Citizens just went up to $160

Literally in the last hour. I was at the NY Consulate waiting to get my visa, and they just found out that the US Embassy in Brazil is now charging $160 as of today for Brazilians to enter the US.

As such, the Consulate here just decided in the last hour or so to start charging the same.

Warning to anyone headed there to get a visa in the next few days (or however long it takes for them to update their website).

Annoying for me since I was there just before 12, and they wouldn't stay open an extra 30 minutes for me to run out and get the money order for the extra $20 and still submit today. Leave on Wednesday...hope they can turn it around in 24 hours....
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
U.S. visa application fees were scheduled to increase today, which they did. I'm sure it was a matter of time before Brazil found out and did the same. I imagine Chile and Argentina, which base their reciprocity fees (not visas) on what the U.S. charges their citizens, will bump them up to $160.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The most annoying part of the process is standing in a long line at the post office to get a money order. Any word on whether the consulate will eventually take credit cards or even cash/personal check.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 2:22 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Not sure on the credit cards at the consulate, but I wouldn't hold my breath. In comparison, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the New York passport office happily accepted credit & debit cards for the passport fees this morning.

The process of getting a same day passport was surprisingly smooth in comparison to typical Government bureaucratic type processes. The staff and security guards were very friendly, helpful, and within 3 hours, I had a brand new 52-page passport and passport ID card. ^

No money orders, no post offices, etc.

I guess I used up all my bureaucracy lucky charms today getting my new passport, so I was bound to hit a snag when it came time to get the visa from the Consulate.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 3:24 pm

The building that the Boston Brazilian Consulate is in also contains an office on another floor that performs notary services, draws up powers of attroney (procuracao) in Portuguese, takes visa photos, sells money orders, makes copies, and a number of other useful services for both Brazilians and others using the Brazilian Consulate. Sounds like a business opportunity for someone in NYC, newyorkgeorge. ;-)
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:52 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Folks... if the US increases Visa fees, then expect all reciprocity fees to go up and match the US increase. Its not very hard to understand....
Old Apr 13, 2012, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
Folks... if the US increases Visa fees, then expect all reciprocity fees to go up and match the US increase. Its not very hard to understand....
Perhaps someone should start a "reciprocity fee for dummies" thread?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
I agree it's not hard to understand, and I fully understand that the fees will go up in response. What I failed to understand is the confusion and pandemonium that resulted on Friday and why they were adjusted immediately as if they "just found out about this".

The Press Release was issued by the State department about the US fees a few weeks ago.

But anyway, my post was more an advisory one to warn anyone attempting to show up and pay $140, as I was told on Friday I had to come back on Monday with $160 in a postal money order.

That said, I showed up today and they had reversed their decision, and would only start charging $160 from May 1. So things are back to normal, but after May 1, the fee would be $160.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The most annoying part of the process is standing in a long line at the post office to get a money order. Any word on whether the consulate will eventually take credit cards or even cash/personal check.
I think it depends on the given visa clerk's mood. I got my most recent Brazilian visa at the consulate in DC last January ('11), and the clerk happily accepted my payment in $20 bills. He was only concerned about me having the exact amount because he wasn't able/willing to make change.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
This may come as a shock to many New Yorkers, but post offices outside of New York often have much shorter (and often nonexistent) lines. When my wife and I were in Hawaii last month, we popped into a post office to get money orders for our Brazilian visas and were in and out in just a few minutes.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by Blumie
This may come as a shock to many New Yorkers, but post offices outside of New York often have much shorter (and often nonexistent) lines. When my wife and I were in Hawaii last month, we popped into a post office to get money orders for our Brazilian visas and were in and out in just a few minutes.
Also 7-11 type stores also issue money orders w/o lines.

Blumie, wish I knew you were going to be in GIG. I am only 4 blocks from Marriot.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by alhcfp
Also 7-11 type stores also issue money orders w/o lines.

Blumie, wish I knew you were going to be in GIG. I am only 4 blocks from Marriot.
The consulate will only take a US Postal Money Order. Most people living in NYC that go for a Visa are going to do so in person, meaning standing in a NYC post office with usually a long line.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
The consulate will only take a US Postal Money Order. Most people living in NYC that go for a Visa are going to do so in person, meaning standing in a NYC post office with usually a long line.
AND THAT is why American Airlines is in bankruptcy!

OOPS- Wrong forum
Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:10 am

Brazil Visa fee for Americans now $US 160
http://novayork.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visas.xml

, as of May 2, to match increase in US visa application fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.