Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

What Chain Hotel in Rio for new points collector?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

Hopefully there is a seasoned Rio traveller here that can give me some pointers...

My new SO will travel in November the second time this year for about two weeks to Rio. The first time he booked whatever the company travel agent suggested, he did say he could suggest a place, if it is not overly expensive they will let him book whatever he wants. On my question in what loyalty programes he is a member he drew a blank.

So now I have the job, and I can`t seem to find many chain choices in Rio. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:26 pm

Pretty confusing. Your SO will go to Rio for two weeks. You mention you have "the job." Is there a connection? Your SO is not in a loyalty program, or he's just not sure which one's he's in. And that's a priority in choosing a hotel for him? Price is no object?

I can't imagine where you've looked for hotels without finding any chains, but there is a Marriott and a Sheraton and an Intercontinental, and there are a couple of Best Western hotels. The famous grande dame Copacabana Palace is an Orient Express hotel (okay, not a U.S. chain). There are probably others, as well. Doesn't mean these are the best hotels in the best locations (I think the Sheraton and Intercontinental are bit isolated, but I don't know what your SO plans). You don't say what programs you'd use elsewhere, such as in the States to make the whole thing worthwhile. You can find tons of lists of hotels just by doing an Internet search or looking at sites such as Tripadvisor (also good for reviews) and see what chains (if any) would be appropriate for you and your SO. Or you could go the other direction: go to the sites of chains that interest you most and see if they have properties in Rio. The last time I stayed in a hotel in Rio I stayed at the Hotel Praia Ipanema: very nice, in a very good location, but not a U.S. chain to my knowledge.

Also, since he's using a travel agent, have you thought of asking them? They would surely have lists.

Last edited by SoCal; Sep 9, 2010 at 4:36 pm
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by skoenig
Pretty confusing. Your SO will go to Rio for two weeks. You mention you have "the job." Is there a connection?
I imagine OP means they now have the job of finding the SO a hotel. In Rio. That's the connection.

FWIW for high end there is a JW Marriott worth checking out, though if you're more price concious the French hotel chain called Accor does have several brands in Rio including at the low end an Ibis, a mid-range brand called Mercure and two more full service luxury brands called Novotel and Sofitel and you could do worse than opting for one of these though do some research to be sure what your SO is getting. Accor's main website is here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.