Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Paying UK tax with your BMI Mastercard – the definitive guide!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying UK tax with your BMI Mastercard – the definitive guide!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:26 am

Programs: I don't do status - I do benefits
This is starting to sound more like the "pudding run" guy, with his tax-deductable puddings going to the salvation army. Must remember to make my next charity donation by CC rather than just hand over the cash!
Old Mar 20, 2009, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
If you want Pudding Guy, look in the Amex forum for the guy who got 3m Amex points through literally hundreds of tiny shopping transactions ....
Old Mar 20, 2009, 2:14 pm

after reading the post, found out I can pay my council tax, and business rate by the card, gr8.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 2:52 pm

Raffles, you're a star. :-: Every little bit helps.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 4:41 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by ysb41
after reading the post, found out I can pay my council tax, and business rate by the card, gr8.

Rates, never thought of that, there's another pile of miles PA. ^
Old Mar 21, 2009, 3:58 am

Programs: Various memberships
You can also pay some utility bills (water rates in my case) with a card and I recently got a request for payment from BT as my DD wasn't enough each month. That went on the card as well.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thames Water takes MC even though the bill says they don't - look at the online payment page. No surcharge. BT also takes MC although the bills don't (at least didn't) admit it if you go online to pay.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
... I recently got a request for payment from BT as my DD wasn't enough each month. That went on the card as well.
Be careful. Keep your d/d going as they charge an extra £1 per quarter if you don't, even for e-bills.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
Assuming you're self-employed, this deal becomes even more awesome. The credit card fee would be a genuine tax deductable expense, thus reducing your tax bill and therefore the cost of the miles by your tax rate, whilst the miles are tax-free!
I am self-employed and you are quite correct. That point actually brought a little smile to my face as I paid my SA!

Another good one is that we are a trading business and over the last few years some suppliers have agreed to accept card payments, without any additional fee/card charge. When paying one of their VAT invoices for, say, £115 its great knowing we will be reclaiming (or setting-off) the VAT element (£15) in our next Return. If a refund is due, they settle by cheque and if a payment is due then (as pointed out in your OP), one can pay by card!!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:43 am

except the BMI master card, are there any other cards worth the surcharge? Hilton visa? thx.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
except the BMI master card, are there any other cards worth the surcharge? Hilton visa? thx.
IMHO, only the BAA Worldcard (Visa) which gives 1 WorldPoint per £1. However, each WorldPoint can be converted into 1.5 bmi miles or 1 Virgin flyingclub mile. Going for the former conversion makes it worthwhile. Issued by HBOS, but you can only make a telephone application. Details of this card on the net are almost non-existent in my experience.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

See my paragraph in the first post on other airline cards. Hotel cards are useless - 40,000 points would be c£200 in card fee which is 1 night in a Hilton or InterCon, so a waste of money.

I thought the BAA card was now not even available by phone. It would be VERY interesting if it was.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by camille55
IMHO, only the BAA Worldcard (Visa) which gives 1 WorldPoint per £1. However, each WorldPoint can be converted into 1.5 bmi miles or 1 Virgin flyingclub mile. Going for the former conversion makes it worthwhile. Issued by HBOS, but you can only make a telephone application. Details of this card on the net are almost non-existent in my experience.
thx for the info, as u said, could not find any info how to apply this card, do u happen to have a tel number which we can apply via the phone.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
See my paragraph in the first post on other airline cards. Hotel cards are useless - 40,000 points would be c£200 in card fee which is 1 night in a Hilton or InterCon, so a waste of money.

I thought the BAA card was now not even available by phone. It would be VERY interesting if it was.
the problem is that i only hv the bmi amex card, not the master card, now am trying to get a card that worth the surcharge, any suggestions?

ps. i do hv the Points Accelerator added to my amex charge card, but again, it is not accepted,
Old Mar 23, 2009, 4:28 am

thx for the info, as u said, could not find any info how to apply this card, do u happen to have a tel number which we can apply via the phone.
I applied on 0800 032 0395. Otherwise, their Customer Services no. is 0845 300 0338 or 0323. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.