Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Redemption Help: New to DC : o/w award flight HKG-BKK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption Help: New to DC : o/w award flight HKG-BKK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2009, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
If you book this as a return you can't stop over in both NRT and HKG,
Yes you can can't you? NRT is the destination (so you can stop there) and one stop-over on the return in HKG. Taking two one-ways would enable a further stop-over somewhere between BKK and NRT, but Euan doesn't seem to want to do that.

I still agree though that two one ways is the better way to do it, just in case you want to make a change to your return journey after taking the outbound.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Thank you Corpt, Swanhunter and Tiger_lily for your prompt replies.

We decided against SIN as we wanted to spend a few more days in Thailand.

Will book as two one-way tickets as it doesn't cost anything more and will leave us with more flexibility. I'm assuming I could cancel (for a fee) and re-book the BKK-NRT with a stopover, say BKK-HKT-NRT (subject to availability).

Good to read about seat selection I assume that I call up the DC to change seats or do I need to call the airlines? (ANA and Thai).
Old Jan 22, 2009, 4:30 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Maybe I am confused? I always thought that you could only have one stopover on a return and that was at your destination, in this case NRT If you wanted another stopover then 2x one-ways was the way to go
Old Jan 22, 2009, 4:31 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Euan
Good to read about seat selection I assume that I call up the DC to change seats or do I need to call the airlines? (ANA and Thai).
DC *should* be able to see the seat maps, but a good way of checking that all is OK is to ring the respective airlines and get them to do it.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 4:36 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Maybe I am confused? I always thought that you could only have one stopover on a return and that was at your destination, in this case NRT If you wanted another stopover then 2x one-ways was the way to go
I'm pretty sure that the final destination is in addition to the stopover, even on a return - otherwise, how would a Z1-Z2 redemption work, when you're not allowed to stopover in Europe?

Also, from the spending guide:

A stop-over is a lapse of at least 24 hours between your arrival and departure at any transfer point

Last edited by raikje; Jan 22, 2009 at 4:38 am Reason: added excerpt from spending guide
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by raikje
I'm pretty sure that the final destination is in addition to the stopover, even on a return - otherwise, how would a Z1-Z2 redemption work, when you're not allowed to stopover in Europe?

Also, from the spending guide:

A stop-over is a lapse of at least 24 hours between your arrival and departure at any transfer point
Absolutely. If the destination was a stop-over, there'd be no reference in the rules to stop-overs at all, as you wouldn't be allowed any. You're definitely allowed one stop-over en-route on a return redemption, in addition to your destination.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DC *should* be able to see the seat maps, but a good way of checking that all is OK is to ring the respective airlines and get them to do it.
From experience half the time the ICC can't. Much better to call the airline and get them to do it. More chance of the assignment sticking too.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
From experience half the time the ICC can't. Much better to call the airline and get them to do it. More chance of the assignment sticking too.
Thanks guys.

I'll deal with the booking first (hopefully later on today - too busy at the moment) and can deal with seat assignments later on
Old Jan 22, 2009, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Raffles
The EK flights are now £285 each in J - they have really kicked up their prices in the last 12 months. And it arrives in HKG after midnight.

Book Thai J on miles. Even if your exact flight is cancelled or retimed, they will simply move you to the next one. Even the 'old' TG J seat - which I've had on internal flights in Thailand - is a big fat seat in itself, a typical 1980's style long-haul J seat. 100x better than an Air Asia Y seat on a short-haul plane. Plus proper food, drinks etc and lounge access.
Cheapest oneway Business Class is Sri Lankan Airways. Not daily though but you can get it for around US$300 oneway. It arrives around 7pm. To find cheap fares oneway or return on TG, don't go to its website which is absolutely uselss. Check it out on zuji.com.hk
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Have you also considered flying HND-HKG instead of from NRT? HND is much easier, quicker and cheaper to get to from Tokyo than NRT.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Have you also considered flying HND-HKG instead of from NRT? HND is much easier, quicker and cheaper to get to from Tokyo than NRT.
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll go take a look on the ANA tool for flights from HND.

Edit the only reward flight from HND to HKG is 8.30pm which doesn't get us to HKG until just after midnight so would prefer to take the morning flight from NRT.

Last edited by Euan; Jan 22, 2009 at 6:25 am Reason: Have checked ANA for flights from HND
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Whilst I've posted on the 'Successful Redemptions' thread I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has provided advice to me for booking award flights.

Made my first ever call to the DC and made my first ever redemption with BMI miles. The person I spoke to (can't remember her name) was excellent. Did the first booking in less than 5 minutes. Her computer was slow when starting the second booking so she called me back on my mobile 2 minutes later when it was up to speed.

BKK-NRT in Business Class (11,250 miles + £75 cash + £77.70 taxes each).
NRT-HKG-BKK all in Business Class (11,250 miles + £75 cash + £74.10 taxes each). 3 day stopover in HKG.
Thanks to all who provided advice Checked checkmytrip whilst on the phone and all details loaded correctly. Just need to keep an eye on them getting ticketed

Thanks again,
Euan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.