Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Redemption Help: Are surface sectors allowed?

Redemption Help: Are surface sectors allowed?

Old Dec 22, 08, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD Blue+, LH Blue, VS Red (nothing metallic: I don't get out much these days.....)
Question Are surface sectors allowed?

Hi

Time to cash out I think! This is what I want to do, there's availability for my dates according to ANA: is it valid?

2 one ways:
LHR - LAX -surface - SFO - PDX (NZ/UA Y)
LAS - SFO - surface - PDX - FRA - LHR (US F LH F/C)

nested so we actually do:

LHR-LAX
Drive to LAS
LAS-SFO
SFO-PDX
PDX-FRA
FRA-LHR

I'm guessing that even if the surface is allowed, that second one isn't going to be permitted as it will be classed as backtracking (even though it is surface to Portland)?

ANy thoughts before I try and book it?
Old Dec 22, 08, 10:33 am

Yes - surface sectors are allowed.

Last year we did the following: MAN-FRA-DTW surface ORD-LAS without any problem all on a single one way redemption. (We wanted to visit Detroit and Chicago on our way to Las Vegas - it was cheaper for us to purchase a DTW to ORD sector rather than ORD-LAS).

Nigel.
Old Dec 22, 08, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Blue+, LH Blue, VS Red (nothing metallic: I don't get out much these days.....)
Originally Posted by Yorkshire Traveller View Post
Yes - surface sectors are allowed.

Last year we did the following: MAN-FRA-DTW surface ORD-LAS without any problem all on a single one way redemption. (We wanted to visit Detroit and Chicago on our way to Las Vegas - it was cheaper for us to purchase a DTW to ORD sector rather than ORD-LAS).

Nigel.
Thanks. On looking at it again, I think I'm just making life difficult for myself and ditching the surface sectors I should be able to just do:

LHR-LAX-LAS(stop)-SFO
and
SFO-PDX(stop)-FRA-LHR

as paid fare routings seem to permit LAX-LAS-SFO on a single fare. If the ICC will agree is another matter of course.......

Search this Thread