Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Enhancement" of >55K club

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:52 am
Original Poster

"Enhancement" of >55K club

I've just noticed on the website that the conversion of Status miles > 55K to Destination miles is now limited to 250,000 miles (presumably per year).

Gold members with over 55,000 membership status miles will have any miles over this amount converted to destinations miles up to a maximum of 250,000 destinations miles.
(My bold)

I'm sure this will affect only a very few ultra-frequent flyers, but thought people might be interested nonetheless.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
I can understand the thinking behind this - a tiny minority of people must be clocking up enormous numbers of miles on long haul F (the 625% club) without spending much time on BD metal, which will be quite a drain on DC as a whole. Personally, if this helps preserve the generosity of DC for me as a lowly BD*S (never mind a 55k gold) I'm not complaining...
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I think this change is also a good sign that DC isn't going away any time soon.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanw
Why would you think that?
When was the last time BD did something logical and/or consistent?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alanw
A change to preserve the organization in the immediate timeframe does not, in my mind, mean much of anything for the long-term of the program. I do not think that this change affects the likely eventual merger into M+M one way or another.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Corpt
I've just noticed on the website that the conversion of Status miles > 55K to Destination miles is now limited to 250,000 miles (presumably per year).

250,000 per annum is better than nothing but this is a major loss to some (including me).
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by sbm12
A change to preserve the organization in the immediate timeframe does not, in my mind, mean much of anything for the long-term of the program. I do not think that this change affects the likely eventual merger into M+M one way or another.
I agree. I think the converse could be argued. LH unhappy at the cost of the program but wanting to limit fallout. Some (most?) of those who reach the cap will be candidates for HON status.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer

250,000 per annum is better than nothing but this is a major loss to some (including me).
I fully agree. I am one of these ba§tard§ "not supporting bmi" but only "misusing their FFP". But I liked it. However, 625% on a cheap TG First Class ticket (not to talk about Egypt Air) was to good to be true.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I fully agree. I am one of these ba§tard§ "not supporting bmi" but only "misusing their FFP". But I liked it. However, 625% on a cheap TG First Class ticket (not to talk about Egypt Air) was to good to be true.
I wouldn't say it was misusing DC - if they're going to offer it as a benefit, they have to expect people to take full advantage of it. But as you say, for some it was too good to be true, and it was always going to be an easy target for cutting down the amount of miles awarded.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Jeez, what a kick in the nuts by diamond club, that is.

The thought of having to go back to only 325% destination miles for F, after earning 305k status miles in a year, must be hard to swallow. Such a major loss, my heart bleeds for anyone affected by this truly devastating news.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Dec 2, 2008 at 4:43 pm Reason: spellin !
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:05 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by flyingoncemore
jeez, what a kick in the nuts by diamond club, that is.
ROFLMAO
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:23 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
Jeez, what a kick in the nuts by diamond club, that is.
Life's tough when you're halfway to HON status in a year.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Life's tough when you're halfway to HON status in a year.
I am considering moving my lucrative domestic Y business to Virgin Trains as a result. That'll teach bmi...oh yes!
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I was also one of those candidates racking up 300k plus a year with DC. Not to worry however, I have meanwhile decided to finally go for LH HON.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by raikje
I can understand the thinking behind this - a tiny minority of people must be clocking up enormous numbers of miles on long haul F (the 625% club) without spending much time on BD metal, which will be quite a drain on DC as a whole. Personally, if this helps preserve the generosity of DC for me as a lowly BD*S (never mind a 55k gold) I'm not complaining...
Actually, if you only accrue miles with BMI without spending them, then you are contributing to BMI's net profit, as other *A airlines have to pay BMI to credit the miles in your account. Once you redeem however, BMI needs to pay the other *A airlines.

A lot of very frequent flyers build up huge balances in various FFPs without being able to spend them, thus contributing to the airlines profit. (I for example have close to 5m miles in various FFPs...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.