Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Please report your successful redemptions using Diamond Club miles (2008)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please report your successful redemptions using Diamond Club miles (2008)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:07 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Made a dummy booking on expedia and found a fare in F on LH/SQ for 5200 GBP all up so this effectively values my 100K miles at approximately 4500 GBP assuming the taxes are around 700 for a trip of this nature.
Hmmm. You can get to OZ in paid F (albeit inflexible F) for about £4k-ish and for about £2.5k in J.

Given you spent just north of £1k and 100k miles, I personally would value the miles spent at just about £2k. You also have to account for the opportunity cost of the foregone miles that could have been earned on a long trip of this nature. Especially if you earn F mileage at the higher rate of 625%! That would work out to over 60k miles earned each way!!!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by AJLondon
You also have to account for the opportunity cost of the foregone miles that could have been earned on a long trip of this nature. Especially if you earn F mileage at the higher rate of 625%! That would work out to over 60k miles earned each way!!!
Agreed, when you start putting a value to miles used for a redemption, you must add to the equation the miles you would have earned, had you paid.

I do, however, have one personal exemption to this rule. If the price of said paid ticket is out of my league, I happily forget the above rule.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Hmmm. You can get to OZ in paid F (albeit inflexible F) for about £4k-ish and for about £2.5k in J.

Given you spent just north of £1k and 100k miles, I personally would value the miles spent at just about £2k. You also have to account for the opportunity cost of the foregone miles that could have been earned on a long trip of this nature. Especially if you earn F mileage at the higher rate of 625%! That would work out to over 60k miles earned each way!!!
Too true.... That said, I will be lucky to hit 55K now that my travel patterns have been significantly reduced so 625% not even vaguely possible.

In fact, I will be luck to hit even *G unless I switch a bit more business to *A. Problem is convincing other people around me. All my upcoming business travel is most likely to go to BA although LH is not completely out of the question.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Is this a "legal" routing for BKK-PEK:
BKK-SIN (LX or SQ F)
SIN-PVG (SQ F)
PVG-PEK (CA C or F)
Is there a segment or mileage limit when flying an indirect route? There is nothing available on BKK-PEK direct, so I'm looking at other options.

Also, do Diamond Club reps have availability on their computers for Air China flights? CA joined Star Alliance a month ago, and I haven't seen anyone who's redeemed on CA flights yet.
Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2008, 4:45 am

Reserving Seats ?

I have now confirmed bookings as follows : -

MAN - FRA LH (C)
FRA - LAX LH (F)
LAX - LAS US (F)

and return both as 2 x one ways for 2 pax.

How do I make seat allocations on these flights ?

BMI call centre told me I needed to call airlines direct but when I called Lufthansa and gave the booking references they told me they cannot do it and I need to get BMI to make any seat allocations ?

The bookings have been confirmed for over a week now and show on checkmytrip.com but I guess they have not been ticketed yet as no E-Tix No.s are showing and miles and cash not yet been taken either. This is despite call centre telling me that any itinerary with US involved has to be ticketed immediately as they cannot hold US Flights. Not worried as the flights are over 6 months away but I would hate for US to cancel their portion and then have to take a less convenient connection.

Could the none ticketing reason by why I cannot make seat reservation with the airlines direct ?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:10 am

Programs: F
Originally Posted by Airframe

MAN - FRA LH (C)
FRA - LAX LH (F)
LAX - LAS US (F)

BMI call centre told me I needed to call airlines direct but when I called Lufthansa and gave the booking references they told me they cannot do it and I need to get BMI to make any seat allocations ?

The bookings have been confirmed for over a week now and show on checkmytrip.com but I guess they have not been ticketed yet as no E-Tix No.s are showing and miles and cash not yet been taken either. This is despite call centre telling me that any itinerary with US involved has to be ticketed immediately as they cannot hold US Flights. Not worried as the flights are over 6 months away but I would hate for US to cancel their portion and then have to take a less convenient connection.

Could the none ticketing reason by why I cannot make seat reservation with the airlines direct ?
No.

Lufthansa should be able to allocate seats in F for you. I guess you had a bad agent. Phone again and ask again, if the Amadeus reference does not work use the specific Lufthansa one showing on checkmytrip. I would start the conversation with "I am flying in First with you and I want to allocate seats ...." not "I have made an award booking with bmi". Seize the high ground at the start!

Then you should phone bmi and harass them about the unticketed flight. It may be that a paper ticket is required for US - this was once the case but I thought no longer. A paper ticket would not show on checkmytrip but then the miles / cash would be deducted when it was issued.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:17 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat

MAN - FRA LH (C)
FRA - LAX LH (F)
LAX - LAS US (F)

sorry cant help with seat allocation but was looking at this route and wondered what miles are required thanks cal
Old Jan 14, 2008, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by xcalx
sorry cant help with seat allocation but was looking at this route and wondered what miles are required thanks cal
For a return ticket.

Miles only - 90k + taxes.
Cash & Miles - 50k + £280 + taxes.

The taxes will be high, an F ticket ex. UK connecting in FRA is expensive both in real tax and the fuel surcharges which an LH itinerary will incur.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
For a return ticket.

The taxes will be high, an F ticket ex. UK connecting in FRA is expensive both in real tax and the fuel surcharges which an LH itinerary will incur.
Yes taxes were high GBP 301.58 per pax.

Originally Posted by redshift27
No.

Lufthansa should be able to allocate seats in F for you. I guess you had a bad agent. Phone again and ask again, if the Amadeus reference does not work use the specific Lufthansa one showing on checkmytrip. I would start the conversation with "I am flying in First with you and I want to allocate seats ...." not "I have made an award booking with bmi". Seize the high ground at the start!

Then you should phone bmi and harass them about the unticketed flight. It may be that a paper ticket is required for US - this was once the case but I thought no longer. A paper ticket would not show on checkmytrip but then the miles / cash would be deducted when it was issued.
I called again to LH and this time got a great agent who did all the necessary for me and even apologised for the previous agents poor response.^

Rang Bmi to find out about the ticketing issue and was told US is now an eticket so no problem there. Requested that they ticket asap as they cannot hold US Flights and I do not want to lose them. I was told this will be done.
If not done in a few days may try the Visa requirement line and see if this works.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:30 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
If not done in a few days may try the Visa requirement line and see if this works.
Works every time for me
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:49 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
For a return ticket.

thanks i wasnt aware i could add on LAX to LAS on the same award, would it be ok to have stopover in LAX then go to LAS
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:01 am

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by xcalx
thanks i wasnt aware i could add on LAX to LAS on the same award, would it be ok to have stopover in LAX then go to LAS
yes - you can fly LHR - LAS (via FRA and with a stop over in LAX). If you book as two one ways you could have a stop over in both directions.

eg LHR-FRA-LAX(stop)-LAS and return
LAS-SFO(stop)-LHR
or even LAS-JFK(stop)-FRA-LHR

or something like that -- as long as the stopover is at a transfer point and not way out.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:47 pm
Suspended

CPH - LHR - HKG (Stopover) - NRT

O/W Business Award in Aug

18,750 Miles + £127.50 Cash + .... wait for it.... £59.60 Tax
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:57 am

Two one-way's for two people.

LHR-FRA-JNB-CPT-FRA-LHR in C and F for the FRA-JNB segment.

87,500miles plus +app £600 + £500 taxes, dep 28/3 return 13/4.

Biggest gripe is that due to married segment logic I only get 1hr in FRA and ideally would like more. A much earlier flight is wide open but this only returned one available seat on the FRA-JNB segment.

Anyone knows if LH are leanient enough to space-available stand-by in at LHR?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Cgk-sin-cmb

My first reward booking.

CGK-SIN-CMB, in SQ First. 20k miles, OW. £57tax, plus credit card fee.

As someone used to booking in the US, it was certainly a different experience. It was a bit hard to understand the agent, but in the end it seems to have come out okay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.