Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

PROMO: buying miles fee waived, juicy e-shopping bonuses

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: buying miles fee waived, juicy e-shopping bonuses

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
So buying 10 single tracks in 10 separate transactions for £8 in total, and you get 5000 bmi miles?
you mean £7.90 don't you...?
Old May 2, 2008, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by kryten22uk
Given that bmi arent keen on posting/approving e-shopping, is it worth it? Still not heard any positive experiences on bmi shopping. Or does this campaign signify bmi pulling their socks up on this one? ... I hope so.
Actually this has been something that keeps baffling me. Previously, when I went to any of the shopping sites through flybmi.com/shopping and in fact signed up to shop at some of the sites, I don't ever recall the site asking for my diamond club number. They certainly don't for iTunes.

If so, how do they actually track you down to give you the miles you're due from the purchases? Any techie explanation that can shed some light would be appreciated!
Old May 2, 2008, 4:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
carrotjuice... its all down to "cookies".

When you sign in via the site, you pass your details over to another server (ssogateway.points.com which then resolves to earn.flybmi.com), which contains your DC number and and a few other details (have a look at the address bar when you get to the main shopping page... you might see a number beginning with 0/1/3/6 that you're familiar with (over clear HTTP for those of us who are slightly security concious)

That's enough to help generate tracking information about what you've done. All done by the magic of cookies ... as well as the magic of Points.com...

</geek>
Old May 2, 2008, 4:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I've just tried to buy an itune from the bmi->Apple iTunes GB site, but when I click "shop now" I get an "Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site" error message. Anyone else getting this ?
Old May 2, 2008, 4:51 am

Worked fine last night Oxon Flyer... it could be that the Apple Services (phobos.apple.com) is having a moment ... (Much like a few other things in Apple).

I made my first transaction last night - receipt issued, Points.com haven't credited it yet to my account. I'll hold off until it shows up in my pending history before I make another transaction...
Old May 2, 2008, 6:21 am

Another possible complication with the iTunes Store is that they tend to sweep up small transactions over a few days and only make one credit card collection (and send one invoice).

So this might mean that each invoice is treated as a transaction, rather than the individual "purchases".

Only one way to find out
Old May 2, 2008, 6:51 am

am i right to assume you get 5000 bonus miles PER purchase over 10 ?

or is it anything over 10 gets you a lump sum 5k bonus?
Old May 2, 2008, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Looks like a flat 5,000 for making 10+ purchases.
Old May 2, 2008, 6:58 am

As usual, the wording on a BMI promotion is less than clear.

Unless SMB is getting really generous before we go over to the Yellow and Blue side, I would suspect its for a lump sum bonus only.
Old May 2, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Kevincm
As usual, the wording on a BMI promotion is less than clear.

Unless SMB is getting really generous before we go over to the Yellow and Blue side, I would suspect its for a lump sum bonus only.
My interpretation as well. 5,000 at purchase #10 and that is your lot. If it was 5k per transaction we'd bankrupt them.
Old May 2, 2008, 7:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Kevincm
Worked fine last night Oxon Flyer... it could be that the Apple Services (phobos.apple.com) is having a moment ... (Much like a few other things in Apple)
Looking at the error message, it appears the iTunes site is trying to download something onto my PC, which is probably verboten and blocked by the corporate policies.
Old May 2, 2008, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Make sure itunes purchases are for more than £1. As purchases under £1 won't trigger any base miles, its fair to assume they also won't count towards bonuses.
Old May 2, 2008, 8:01 am

Oxon Flyer, When you click the linky, it opens up a linky to iTune music store, which sends a command for iTunes to start... so if you haven't got iTunes and your Sysadmin is an evil person (ala me), then it won't work...

And thanks Raffles... oh well. One less extra purchase to be made then (though I did get a 99p purchase on eBay to register amazingly).

At least I get the BMI credit card miles out it
Old May 2, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
B&Q certain areas can order online and collect in store so no delivery charge (plenty of £1 stuff) .. waterstones free delivery joke book £1.59 highway code £1.75.......so watch out for considerate drivers telling crap jokes cos thats me^
Old May 2, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Just received the email from DC for my account, some 29 hours after the first post in this thread.

Wonder how long it'll be for the email to arrive for the other accounts I look after. I'd guess one tomorrow, and one on Sunday, given the usual 48-72 hours time period it takes to get all three.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; May 2, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.