Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Can I check in 9 hours early at MAN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2007, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.

Simple really, I am arriving at MAN early (from AAnother transatlantic flight) and then booked on BD591 to LHR at 1655. Can I check in, dump my bags and come back in time for the flight? Would they let me in lounge at that time?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Dump your bags where? More than one bag would mean checked baggage; LHR doesn't accept a checked bag more than two hours in advance for "security reasons" but I'm not sure whether this is the case at MAN.

If you are handbaggage only, there is no problem and you can leave your bags in the (unsecured) racks but it would be worth telling the lounge staff that you're off to do a little shopping in the terminal - would avoid a security alert.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:17 am

You cannot check in and leave the airport if you have bags to check in in afraid as the 2 hour rule applies in MAN aswell. Nor can you check-in go down to the lounge, leave your handluggage in the lounge and leave the airport. The lounge staff would not allow you to leave your luggage unattended in the lounge at any time and it would more than likely cause a security alert and the bags would be removed. Alternatively there is a left luggage facility in Terminal One arrivals called 'The Excess Baggage Company' and are open between 8am and 8pm. You could arrive, leave your bags there for the day for a nominal charge, check in on the ssd machines, leave the airport for the day, return, collect your bags and bag drop them at check in or just proceed thru security with your hand luggage.

ASCx
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, yes I did mean checked baggage, I did not know you could not check in a bag more than two hours before the flight.

aisle seat c, thanks for the info, this sounds like my best option.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 4:04 pm

BigVince76, why not just check it through from your AA flight, then you won't have to worry about it...
Old Apr 24, 2007, 4:24 pm

Not if travelling on 2 separate tickets, but if you are ticketed all the way through on one ticket go for it.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Great idea but two very separate tickets unfortunately.

Just for arguments sake if I was arriving on BD and then had a separate ticket also with BD would they check me all the way through from ORD/LAS to LHR even if there was a large amount of time between flights?
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:17 pm

Contrary to aisle seat c's continuing misinformation on this forum, if you're flying BOS/ORD-AA-MAN-BD-LHR, AA will certainly check your baggage through from the US point of origin to LHR.

The same is, of course, not true on the return (if you're doing that).
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by BigVince76
Just for arguments sake if I was arriving on BD and then had a separate ticket also with BD would they check me all the way through from ORD/LAS to LHR even if there was a large amount of time between flights?
No. BD's policy is not to interline on separate tickets (which, perversely acts as an incentive to take a different carrier on the transatlantic segment!).
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamespvg
Contrary to aisle seat c's continuing misinformation on this forum, if you're flying BOS/ORD-AA-MAN-BD-LHR, AA will certainly check your baggage through from the US point of origin to LHR.
Wow, unnecessarily harsh, imo.
AA certainly have no obligation to tag your luggage through and really should not do it. That said, US carriers tend to be pretty lenient on this and will probably tag it all the way through. So, definitely worth asking AA at origin to tag it all the way to final destination but have a left luggage "plan B" just in case...
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:05 am

Where have I miss informed Jamespvg? Thank you NickB. Alot of FT'rs value the help I give them and I do my best to be as accurate as possible. Yes alot of Airlines Interline on separate tickets where they should not. Its their choice to do that and it depends mostly on the agent that checks you in. So to amend post number 6, if you are travelling on 2 separate tickets AA may or may not (though under IATA regulations should not) check your bag through on 2 separate tickets.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:10 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
This is England...the Land of over 1 Million Bombs in the past Century..but they still have Left Luggage///Free Baggage Cart via T3 Departures to T1 Arrivals.

Quite a Long Push.

Last edited by UncleDude; Apr 25, 2007 at 3:52 am
Old Apr 25, 2007, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UncleDude
This is England...the Land of over 1 Million Bombs in the past Century..but they still have Left Luggage///Free Baggage Cart via T3 Departures to T1 Arrivals.

Quite a Long Push.
I am sure the walk will do me good!

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:18 am

aisle seat c, my apologies, I was a little gruff last night. And I do value your input here on many fronts.

However, this is a continuing bone of contention. This has come up several times since the introduction of the new bmi policy, and you (and some other insiders) continue to advise that the BD policy applies to all other airlines -- this is untrue.

The fact is that in practice, most other carriers (excepting those who have a specific, stated policy to the contrary) will tag through to BD. Whether IATA rules say they should or not, I can't say. But other airlines simply do, in practice. Unlike BD, AA has no such 'no interline on separate tickets' policy. They are, of course, under no obligation, but I've never been turned down.

Last edited by jamespvg; Apr 25, 2007 at 9:25 am
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:27 am

apology accepted, im only here to help and guide. It's not misinformation as the information I gave was not incorrect, It was just to point out in a worst case that other carriers may not interline and as u quite rightly say are under no obligation to do so, *but* in many cases do when they should not, It is infact part of IATA that interlining on separate tickets should not be done. Im not here to step on anyones toes, just here to help out where I can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.