Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumour: bmi axes CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
Originally Posted by ajamieson
And we all know how lucrative hordes of tourists are...

You're right. No-one can expect bmi to run the route at a loss as a feeder for other *Alliance airlines leisure traffic.

But once they've driven away both their own customer base and are not much use to the Alliance either, how long can we expect them to remain a member?
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
New routes

I presume that as they need to use the slots, that we will start to see new routes to new leisure destinations. Or do people think that there will be a strategy trying to escape from all this..?

D
Old Jan 16, 2007, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by rangerss75
They think in terms of single, disconnected routes, often (they seem to prefer this) with a single daily flight at non-business hours (or even better) one which operates just once or twice a week. You can't build a large and loyal customer base with such a plan.
Isn't that exactly what LCCs do - single, disconnected routes?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 2:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
Originally Posted by frankvb
Isn't that exactly what LCCs do - single, disconnected routes?
Yep! But LCCs don't hire expensive consultants to tell them how to reinvigorate their FF scheme. They just don't bother with one.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Whilst I have already said my thoughts on the BA forum, I still feel it is worth reiterating what I mentioned here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=40
Old Jan 17, 2007, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
SO should we guess who BMI will put on their cancelled flights with ? I have two friends going away to CDG first week of March.

Question is whether BMI will even put them on alternate flights or just give a refund ...?

And do you think BMI will still award the mileage due for its BD DC member?

Or are they going to be p*ssing a lot of people off?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:07 am

I was adding up the number of LON-PAR flights in connection with a similar thread on the BA board and noticed this in the official statement:
Nigel Turner, bmi chief executive officer, said: “There are now eight
airlines operating 72 flights a day between London and Paris"

Well, even if we let him off the 72 (there are 68 actually), there are only two other companies (AF and BA) who operate the route. Too much competition??

This isn't the first time I've wondered where he gets his figures from.

Edited to add: I forgot Easyjet from Luton. If you add them in you get four more round-trips (making 76 flights in total, which still proves he can't add up) and a total of four companies.

Last edited by rangerss75; Jan 17, 2007 at 6:19 am
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:23 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
You could also claim that the ex-LCY routes are operated by WX (CityJet). And, if you were really being tenuous, the twice-weekly LGW-CDG on the way to JIB by D3 (Daallo). Hmm, and aren't some of the BD routes operated by bmi Regional? And a couple of the AF ones at weekends by AF régional?

So, if we're being exceedingly generous... BA, BD, BD(r), AF, WX, AF(r), D3

Still one missing!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by stut
You could also claim that the ex-LCY routes are operated by WX (CityJet). And, if you were really being tenuous, the twice-weekly LGW-CDG on the way to JIB by D3 (Daallo). Hmm, and aren't some of the BD routes operated by bmi Regional? And a couple of the AF ones at weekends by AF régional?

So, if we're being exceedingly generous... BA, BD, BD(r), AF, WX, AF(r), D3

Still one missing!
OK for Cityjet (but it's part of Air France, isn't it, so it's a bit like saying BA Connect flights from LCY are not really BA). But the BD flights are all main line, as are the AF ones. And how much competition is a twice-weekly, one-way flight (so you'd not be able to get back) which, acording to Daallo's own website, leaves CDG at 11pm and arrives LGW at 5.30am? Where the f**k does it go for seven-and-a-half hours?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:34 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I know, I was trying to get into the esteemed Mr Turner's mindset to figure out where on earth he could be getting that figure from.

Unless he's been given a list of codeshares and gone by that.

BA, QF, BD, LH, UA, AF, U2, WX?

Hmm...

Anyway, really need to stop thinking about this. I'm writing business plans and I can really do without Nigel's influence while doing so!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by ajamieson
In fairness, I can't think of an airline which would put out a press release announcing a route drop. And from where I'm sitting (which is quite a good vantage point ) it is not a heavy news day.
I beg to differ... BBC's most read story of the day: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6268025.stm
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Talking

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/dundee.cfm?id=84582007
Old Jan 17, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stut
You could also claim that the ex-LCY routes are operated by WX (CityJet).
City Jet however is now a wholly owned subsidiary of AF.....
Old Jan 20, 2007, 4:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
BMI have updated their news item about the flight suspension. The LHR - CDG flights are cancelled as planned from 26th Feb. It was previously reported that the same date was planned for the LBA - CDG flights to stop.

The update states that LBA - CDG will now be cancelled from 25th March.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by RAPC
BMI have updated their news item about the flight suspension. The LHR - CDG flights are cancelled as planned from 26th Feb. It was previously reported that the same date was planned for the LBA - CDG flights to stop.

The update states that LBA - CDG will now be cancelled from 25th March.
Seems no-one else has noticed :

Our reaccommodation policy is as follows:

Heathrow – Paris
Passengers booked to travel on or after 26 February 2006 will be reaccommodated on flights operated by either Air France (terminal 2, Heathrow) or British Airways (terminal 4, Heathrow). Our reservations team will contact all passengers to rebook onto suitable flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.