Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Advice sought on LHR transfer -UA -BMI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM

In early September - I have a connection from a United SFO-LHR arriving term 3 at 1:30 to a BMI 4:00 departure at Term 1. These are separate tickets so i BMI will not let em check bags through. This means fast rack immigration at term 3, collect bag, get to term 1 and check in. I'm star gold. Normally I 've made this, but am wondering what LHR and new restrictions might do to this. I know that anything can happen in 2 weeks, but seek advice about if i should buy new ticket for much later connection, risk it, take the train, etc. Has anyone timed something like this since Wednesday?
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

2.5 hours should be sufficient time ( assuming some of the handbagage regulations are relaxed by September) assuming the SFO-LHR flight is on time.

As a *Gold you will be able to use the Business check in at T1.

At the moment I would be prepared to severely limit your handbaggage as per the guidelines.

Where are you going on bmi?

Regards and Good luck!

TBS
Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Oh sorry - I'm going to CDG, and the last BMI flight after mine is fairly sold out. BA has cheap fares still so i'm wondering if i hedge my bet with them on later flihgt. Normally I make this transfer in about 1 hour 20, so i'd have an extra hour for long lines, etc. I also heard that fast track was ended. anybody know?
Old Aug 12, 2006, 4:54 pm

Programs: LH, BA, DL
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Oh sorry - I'm going to CDG, and the last BMI flight after mine is fairly sold out. BA has cheap fares still so i'm wondering if i hedge my bet with them on later flihgt. Normally I make this transfer in about 1 hour 20, so i'd have an extra hour for long lines, etc. I also heard that fast track was ended. anybody know?
There was a recent post (which I could not find using the search function - no doubt due to my limitations rather than the search function's ) where someone mentioned not being allowed to use the fast track in T1 despite being *G and it was pointed out that BMI does not pay/no longer pays for that feature at LHR.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

I'm more concerned with using fast rack at term 3 with united. As a US passport holder, i don't find term 1 immigration too bad as there are mostly EU passport holders filing by.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 3:57 am

Programs: UA Gold
UA will be able to check your bags through to CDG on the outbound, it will only be a problem on the return with seperate tickets. Whether your bags make it to CDG on the same flight as you is another question. I am averaging about 60 % on UA- BMI/BA transfers last couple of years. Have had bags make it with 1 hr connection and not make it with 4 hrs

Geordieflyer
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:43 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by geordieflyer
UA will be able to check your bags through to CDG on the outbound, it will only be a problem on the return with seperate tickets. Whether your bags make it to CDG on the same flight as you is another question. I am averaging about 60 % on UA- BMI/BA transfers last couple of years. Have had bags make it with 1 hr connection and not make it with 4 hrs

Geordieflyer

Yep, UA will check the bags all the way so the OP should be able to use the FCC on the way to CDG so the amount of time listed should be fine.

If the OP is returing using the same routing that is when they will have a problem.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I have the same connectin coming back CDG LHR with bmi, no transfer, then UA to SFo but have 3 1/2 hours in that direction.

I've heard the FCC is now closed at LHR and everyone must go thru immigration and re-check in. That must take at least 2 hours if everybody has to do it. Sounds like a nightmare.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone actually transfered at LHR FCC recently? IF so, timing and details would be very useful. thx.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Any recent experiences checking in at Term 1? What are security wait times like?
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My understanding is that the FCC is now open (a thread on the London forum mentions it). According to that thread, it's 50minute wait at FCC.

Tagging onto this thread; couple quick questions.

* I'm flying AMS-LHR-LAX (BMI/UA) - single ticket - so will BMI check my luggage through all the way (I think yes)?

* A friend is doing the same routing - but on sep tickets - she has a 2-hour layover. How will she do w/ getting her luggage picked up/transfer & checked into UA.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My understanding is that the FCC is now open (a thread on the London forum mentions it). According to that thread, it's 50minute wait at FCC.

Tagging onto this thread; couple quick questions.

* I'm flying AMS-LHR-LAX (BMI/UA) - single ticket - so will BMI check my luggage through all the way (I think yes)?

* A friend is doing the same routing - but on sep tickets - she has a 2-hour layover. How will she do w/ getting her luggage picked up/transfer & checked into UA.
You'll be fine as you're on a single ticket. Your friend is likely to be told she cannot through-check her luggage, but if you are checking in at the same time the staff may let it go (I have seen this happen at BRU recently).

If she does have to reclaim at LHR and its a morning flight then I have waited anything from 20 to 40 minutes for bags (before the incidents of the last few weeks). I would say it is tight - it's a fairly long walk over to T3 and the UA check-in area is at the far end of the check-in hall. Your friend will also have to negotiate security at T3, while you will be able to use the FCC.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well I'm happy I'm on a single ticket

Carolyn is probably screwed. She flies the day before me. My little Plan B for her is if she can't find someone else on the same BMI flight out (going on to LA via UA at LHR; not unheard of given the day after a trade show) that when she does get to UA at T3 she goes to the F check-in & throws herself on their mercy claiming the tight connection & then equally begging a fast track security checkin (well, whatever taht sticker is called for C & F passneger) cuz F will be faster than the rest of the stuff.

By the time she shows up, the F folk have probably checked in so, if F helps her out
cool. If not worst case she's wasted 30 seconds before they send her to C/E (I don't know what type of ticket she has/class of flying).

Cheers.

PS - While I'm trying to help her out, can I say I'm happier that I may have an easier time of it. My only concern (me me it's all about me!!!!) is if I don't clear my LHR-LAX upgrade before BMI check-in cuz I don't think I can do online check-in for the entire itin to get on the day of upgrade list sooner if the first part is BMI....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.