Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Free Economy Flight When You Fly Busines In May & June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Free Economy Flight When You Fly Busines In May & June

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:50 am

Programs: VS Silver, EK Gold, BA GGL/CCR
Prompted by Seachain I have just checked out what the "official government taxes" are.

When I tried to book my one way flight from LHR to DUB the bmi website quoted £26 in taxes and charges.

According to Customs and Excise the "Air Passenger Duty" payable is....wait for it...£5

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_000505

In bmi's terms and conditions, item 12 states:
The traveller must pay for all applicable airport taxes, relating to the flight offer.

This only mentions taxes and does not have the usual "taxes and charges" wording that is shown on the confirmation page.

Does this seem right to you or is it a matter for Advertising Standards?
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:53 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
I've not even received a new e-mail with updated URN - has everyone else received theirs? (oh and of course they've not replied to either of my two e-mails to diamond club)

Alan
Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:11 pm

I received my reissued email today.

I made one return C class journey during the offer but when I log-in I can only book a single one-way flight. There is no way to book a flight originating in Edinburgh - I can only fly into Edinburgh from LHR or MAN.

I hope it's still broken, and that this isn't really the offer.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 2:21 pm

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
Angry

Originally Posted by bmifly
Me too.

Your URN has already been used to book its maximum number of 2 sectors.

Of course once they sort this problem out the next challenge will be trying to find available flights...
Well before the 'fix' I was told that although I had been awarded a free RETURN flight under this promotion I'd already booked it! Now I only have a one-way flight originating in only Heathrow or Manchester. Do bmi actually test their web systems before making them live...

No doubt this will be sorted on 16 August once the booking period has passed.

Last edited by bmifly; Jul 27, 2005 at 5:09 am
Old Jul 26, 2005, 5:51 pm

Programs: EK Gold; BA Silver; GF Silver; HH Diamond, SPG Plat; IHG Plat
I've had enough of bmi ineptitude / contempt. I am writing to the ASA now regarding this offer.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:01 am

Has anyone succesfully booked a return flight or a oneway flight to LHR?

bmi are claiming there is no problem....
Old Jul 28, 2005, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Caledonian
I've had enough of bmi ineptitude / contempt. I am writing to the ASA now regarding this offer.
Excellent - let us know how you get on. Could also post the details and roughly what you said? I'd be happy to complain too.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Aztec_Flyer
Has anyone succesfully booked a return flight or a oneway flight to LHR?

bmi are claiming there is no problem....
Still isn't working for me. I've just sent bmi an email through Ask Diamond Club.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 3:58 am

Programs: KL, BD, BA, CO
running out of time...

conscious of the 14th August deadline, i tried yet again and it failed. i called the BD help desk and he said it should work... just do a series of one ways and that ought to do it, but we've had a lot of reports of problems with the system.

the single one way i saw, was extremely limited in choice. i suspect too that the "taxes" will be the £52 level from Edi-lhr-Edi... so for once, i#m not particularly impressed with the offer.

i feel like i've been sold a lemon, frankly.

has anybody had a good experience with this yet? any extensions in the offing for the offer? anybody who has booked successfully, can they tell us the "tax" cost?
Old Aug 11, 2005, 11:02 am

Programs: BD Blue Plus, BA, VG
I've looked and tried booking 2 singles. However, the foreign originating segment is charged in Euros, so should I expect a foreign currency charge on my credit card?
Old Aug 15, 2005, 10:17 am

Talking Finally - confirmation we were right all along!!

I have just concluded a lengthy email conversation with the person responsible for the "buy one get one free" offer. Apart from having a general complaint about the unprofessional manner in which the IT side of things was handled I also made a specific complaint about the taxes and charges.

My complaint was that BD's terms and conditions mentioned that passengers would have to pay relevant "taxes" as opposed to the usual "taxes, fees and charges" that are due for award bookings. However, BDs own Conditions of Carriage explain taxes, charges and fees as three seperate items - a tax being something collected by a government.

When I tried to book my flight from LHR to DUB I was charged ~£27 made up of BAA charges, security charges, Aer Rianta arrival charges and insurance surcharges. Of this ~£27 only £5 is a tax by the UK goverment - the rest are fees or charges by a commercial third party.

Anyway, after a few emails and the threat of a county court claim to resolve the matter, I now have an email confirming they will refund £24.45 of each booking made as the charges are not "taxes".

Result!

Sometimes we all give up too easily on these things - we should hold our corner and make them stick to THEIR terms and conditions. I generally just blow off some steam here and then forget about it - this perseverence has just saved me £100 (apart from making me feel like I was right all along.....)

^
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:36 pm

Still haven't booked my free flights and just checked the site - the deadline has been extended to 20 August

When I try and book my flights (I should be able to book one return) the booking system only lets me book a one-way flight. If I book the one-way flight can I then use the same URN to book another one-way flight?

Or has anyone been able to book a return flight without messing about?

Thanks for any input.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:40 pm

StarG,

Assuming you have earned more than one sector (each business class sector you flew in May/June gives you one single sector on your promotional code i.e. 3 returns in C = a code that can be used 6 times) then here's the procedure (only bmi could think this is user friendly).

1. Decide the route and dates you wish to book.
2. Go through the booking process for each sector but stop before you enter any payment details (this way you'll know your return is available before you commit to your outbound).
3. Once you know the dates are available book the one way sectors seperately.
4. Retain you booking receipts and email diamond club looking for a refund of and charges that were not taxes (see two posts above).

Enjoy your "free" flights!

Aztec.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 2:47 pm

Thanks Aztec_Flyer,

I shouldn't have underestimated bmi's ability to make it difficult.

In their favour there does seem to be a fair bit of availability for the flights I've looked at (half expected to only be able to fly on very off-peak flights).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.