Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Run Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2005, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Mileage Run Advice

Dear All
As a frequent reader but infrequent poster, I thought I might seek some mileage run advice. A combination of illness/absence from work last year and being made redundant earlier this year(!) has meant that I will be about 8500 shy of requalifying for BD*G this year. My year runs until October 24th (if it was a date in November I would do a cheap run to the States.) Any good suggestions as to how to best do an MR? Considering my loss of job unfortunately "inexpensive" has to be the key...

All suggesions/help/advice is most gratefully received!

dcgS
Old May 12, 2005, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dcgoldSteve
Dear All
As a frequent reader but infrequent poster, I thought I might seek some mileage run advice. A combination of illness/absence from work last year and being made redundant earlier this year(!) has meant that I will be about 8500 shy of requalifying for BD*G this year. My year runs until October 24th (if it was a date in November I would do a cheap run to the States.) Any good suggestions as to how to best do an MR? Considering my loss of job unfortunately "inexpensive" has to be the key...

All suggesions/help/advice is most gratefully received!

dcgS
lMcKenna asked something similar yesterday - this thread should give you some ideas:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431560

The best value for money at this time of year is the Far East and New Zealand - not cheap though!

Maybe try to get a cheap transatlantic deal on USAirways or United through a consolidator such as Airline Network (www.airline-network.co.uk)? As long as you are careful with the fare code (though just about anything gets miles on United) this can be a good place to try.

This far out, and travelling midweek with a Saturday night stay, even the United UK website should have some reasonable deals for October (avoiding half term week, which is usually the last week of the month).

Whatever you decide on, check the fare booking code before you bu against the "Spending Miles" chart on the BD site. Some fares only earn 50% miles or even less these days.

Last edited by House; May 12, 2005 at 5:37 pm
Old May 13, 2005, 1:44 am

Programs: BD*G + A3*G
If Cost is a major issue, remember that the BMI Membership year has a 13th Grace Month,

Although your year ends on 24th October, your account will remain gold and active till 23rd November, allowing you an extra month to collect any extra miles you need to requalify (Or for late miles to post),

This would allow you more time to take advantage of the cheap Pond hoppers that normally start around the 5th Nov

Hope that helps

Richard
Old May 13, 2005, 3:45 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Steve,

Don't forget that you'll drop down to silver and still have elite privs on bmi. So - will you really be flying enough on * partners next year to justify the spend?

Would you be better off buying a Priority Pass card once you start flying again and look to an NZ mileage run then to bounce back to gold?

/MP
Old May 13, 2005, 6:13 am

I think the cheapest / quickest way to achieve just enough miles will be an October London - New York itinerary with a connection in Washington. LHR/IAD/LGA and back with a 600 mile minimum (which is what I think we now get for UA domestic) should net you 8520 miles. You could go out Saturday and come back Sunday. Shouldn't be more than £250 in late October...
Old May 13, 2005, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Dear All
Many thanks for your replies and tips. Richard - I was under the impression that the 13th month was simply to allow any additional miles to be credited from the previous month. Is it the case that miles can also be earned in the 13th month?
Cheers
Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.