Search

MBNA Double Miles in January

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA + BMI
MBNA Double Miles in January

Link to bmi website

Just noticed this on my statement which I received today. Seems January/February is a good time for mileage earning, with this and the UA double miles offer. ^
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:33 am

double mbna destinations miles

Originally Posted by onionz
Link to bmi website

Just noticed this on my statement which I received today. Seems January/February is a good time for mileage earning, with this and the UA double miles offer. ^
Just got an email telling me about this. As if my December credit card bill wasn't big enough... now I have to run up an enormous January one too!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:31 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Shrewd move, picking the one month when most people have the least credit left on their cards .
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:14 am

Programs: BA IHG
Since my December balance hasn't been paid off yet - I had very little credit left for my January double miles spend. Just hit the increase limit option on mbna and they doubled my credit limit within 30 minutes, no fuss!! talk about easy money.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:22 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I have a 3-4 week biz trip starting this weekend and expect to be spending a fair bit of money. I do hope my MBNA card gets to me by then (crossed fingers, the PIN code came today so the card shouldn't be far behind).
Old Jan 10, 2005, 10:57 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Oh, natch, the one month of this year I can't travel...
Old Jan 10, 2005, 12:45 pm

Programs: BMI
I got an email as well... would have appreciated some notice... would have delayed some early Jan sales (Dec sales) shopping. Good deal though... just another excuse to spend spend spend!

Jon
Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:47 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Hmm. Interestingly, my January statement's just come through (all transactions are in December - basically all of my Christmas shopping) with triple miles...

(Keep it quiet, though...)
Old Jan 11, 2005, 4:52 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by stut
my January statement's just come through with triple miles...

Lucky buggar. Got mine yesterday and no additional miles.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
Hmm. Interestingly, my January statement's just come through (all transactions are in December - basically all of my Christmas shopping) with triple miles...

Having puzzled over my MBNA statement, i can conclude the same for me...i think. Essentially I seem to have earnt at a rate of 3x for all transactions (Dec + Jan) on the statement. Bonus! ^
Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:55 pm

Programs: PC Plat Amb, BD Blue+
Originally Posted by onionz
Having puzzled over my MBNA statement, i can conclude the same for me...i think. Essentially I seem to have earnt at a rate of 3x for all transactions (Dec + Jan) on the statement. Bonus! ^
Hope I'm that lucky, had to buy a new rail annual season ticket on 28th Dec!
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:04 pm

Hate to spoil the party....

The classic card normally earns 1.5 miles per GBP1... so double miles is 2x that amount, which is 3.0x... which is what you earnt.

The fee mastercard is normally 2.0x, so double that is 4.0x.

I so wish we had that level of earning forever!!!
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DarrenT

The classic card normally earns 1.5 miles per GBP1... so double miles is 2x that amount, which is 3.0x... which is what you earnt.

I think the bit you're missing is that you're only supposed to earn double mileage for January transactions, yet i've earnt it for December and January thus far...
Old Jan 20, 2005, 3:59 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Please delete

Sorry, please delete

Last edited by jbfield; Jan 20, 2005 at 4:06 pm Reason: Duplicate entry
Old Jan 20, 2005, 4:03 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Exclamation Points for Flights aren't doubled though.

Originally Posted by DarrenT

I also have the classic card and have earned 3.0x miles per GBP during my Janurary statement which covers both December 2004 and Jan 05. I puzzelled a bit over it as it didn't quite match my own calculations, but I have figured it out now.
It appears that the way bonus miles are awarded for flights purchased at flyBMI.com means they aren't doubled in the same way.

As Darren says, Standard purchases normally get x1.5 miles per 1 GBP.
BMI flights accure an *additional* x1.5 miles per GBP which is shown as a seperate "Bonus" amount. This bonus amount isn't doubled!
The total statement amount at the end of the bill is used to calculate the number of miles so for example,
if you have spent £750 on Shopping + £250 on a BMI flight, total of Jan statement is £1000.00. You get 2x(£1000.00 x 1.5 miles) = 3000miles PLUS the flight purchase Bonus of 1.5x £250.00 = 375miles.
This works out as 4.5x miles for BMI flight purchases, not x6.0 miles.

One other note, I have found it takes a few days (working or otherwise) for charges for flights purchased at flybmi.com to be processed onto the statement. I think this is because they have to manually removed the £4.00 credit card fee. This means if you buy a flight on the 31st of Jan or even a little bit before, it will probably show with a transaction date in Feb so you might not get the double points!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.