Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

near impossible to upgrade on bmi regardless of status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2004, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty

I frequently fly on bmi from LHR to european destinations. I have found them totally inconsiderate when it comes to *G members for upgrades, regardless of the fare basis. Am I missing anything here? Is there a way to get upgrades on BMI that I do not know about or is it as hopeless as the airline itself? Not a happy bmi customer!!
Old Mar 19, 2004, 5:16 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 100,000miler:
I frequently fly on bmi from LHR to european destinations. I have found them totally inconsiderate when it comes to *G members for upgrades, regardless of the fare basis. Am I missing anything here? Is there a way to get upgrades on BMI that I do not know about or is it as hopeless as the airline itself? Not a happy bmi customer!!</font>
Do you mean "complementary" upgrades or with any vouchers / star UK certificates etc...

I would be surprised if they started handing out upgrades to *G if the flight was not full/overbooked....
I flew bmi about 40 times last year, about half of those in domestic economy, and I was upgraded only once. And that was with a cheap fare, but I didn't ask for the upgrade. I just asked to standby for an earlier flight, and the lovely ladies in the Diamond Club lounge not only got me on the earlier flight despite my W fare, but also got me the last seat in Business.

Edited to add that they saved this single bloke from reheating yet another Sainsbury 'Be good to yourself' ready meal that evening

[This message has been edited by AJLondon (edited Mar 19, 2004).]
Old Mar 19, 2004, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 100,000miler:
I frequently fly on bmi from LHR to european destinations. I have found them totally inconsiderate when it comes to *G members for upgrades, regardless of the fare basis. Am I missing anything here? Is there a way to get upgrades on BMI that I do not know about or is it as hopeless as the airline itself? Not a happy bmi customer!!</font>
Sorry to hear you think bmi are hopeless. But why are they "totally inconsiderate"? When I really want an upgrade, I use one of my upgrade coupons or (perish the thought!) pay a C fare.

Other than that, I have been very lucky to get an upgrade on four out of my last 25 or so economy flights (at fare classes ranging from full Y to discount T). Two of these I was a mere bmi *S, and another flight the CSD went through the cabin inviting all *Gs into C just after take-off (including a couple of UAs and one AC).

Go fly BA if you prefer, but see how many upgrades (or indeed miles) you get from them...
Old Mar 20, 2004, 1:59 am

If it makes you feel better, I haven't received an upgrade from BD at all in the last year and must have made around 40 flights.

In fact over the last couple of years I have more success with Transatlantic upgrades with UA and AC into J
Old Mar 20, 2004, 2:36 am
MAN Pax

I've been BD*G ever since they started to fly from MAN (over 4 years ago?). I've only had four upgrades on my Y flights. Two were op-ups, two were freebies when travelling ex-MAN at a weekend and I offered my gold card voucher, which was returned with a smile and a C boarding card. I fly weekly from MAN so I guess that helps.

I'm more than happy with the policy that seems to be, if you want a seat in C either buy the ticket or use a voucher. Upgrades are a bonus, not a right!

Old Mar 20, 2004, 4:35 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Looking at your profile, 100,000Miler... Could this be a transatlantic culture/product difference here?

The only European airline I've used the consistently upgraded me was KLM. As PE, it used to be lovely to get pre-assigned the fixed C seats with Y service, or to be upgraded (about 50/50).

Then the service went hugely downhill, and they also ripped out the C seats, making it Y-style throughout (no centre seat blocking either). Suddenly an upgrade was less attractive (especially when you end up in a middle seat).

European airlines just don't upgrade as a matter of course. Don't forget the seats are mostly convertible, too, so the C cabin can have its size changed according to demand.

On the other side, you get complimentary lounge access on short-hauls. I wouldn't say this is a bmi thing, especially.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 2:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
100,000miler which routes were you travelling, what times were the flights, what upgrade vouchers were you using and whom did you ask? And could you clarify your perception that BD is inconsiderate; do you mean in terms of operational upgrades?
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">posted by AJLondon: Edited to add that they saved this single bloke from reheating yet another Sainsbury 'Be good to yourself' ready meal that evening</font>
Just hire a houseboy. Saves doing the ironing, too
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:12 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:

posted by AJLondon: Edited to add that they saved this single bloke from reheating yet another Sainsbury 'Be good to yourself' ready meal that evening</font>
Just hire a houseboy. Saves doing the ironing, too
Hmmm. Speaking from experience are we
Do you happen to know if a "comprehensive" list exists somewhere of chores / needs that a houseboy might be able to satisfy

PS: My one upgrade described above was actually done at the EDI DC lounge, by the lovely ladies (who you seem to know quite well based on some earlier posts I read)

[This message has been edited by AJLondon (edited Mar 22, 2004).]
Old Mar 22, 2004, 4:37 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AJLondon:

Do you happen to know if a "comprehensive" list exists somewhere of chores / needs that a houseboy might be able to satisfy

[This message has been edited by AJLondon (edited Mar 22, 2004).]
</font>
A good houseboy should be able to anticipate and fulfill all of his employer's needs
Old Mar 22, 2004, 4:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave_C:
A good houseboy should be able to anticipate and fulfill all of his employer's needs </font>
Wow you say: fulfill-all-needs..!!.
Sounds good to me. Anybody particular you would recommend or be willing to spare / share
Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:20 am

Have we changed this board from bmi to BDSM ?!?!

Edited to say that on LHR to GLA I get upgraded about 25% of the time and I don't know the ladies in the lounge at all. I just think that the evening flights must be oversold in Y

[This message has been edited by Bond Boy (edited Mar 22, 2004).]
Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:48 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bond Boy:
Have we changed this board from bmi to BDSM ?!?!

</font>
Whats BDSM...?
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">posted by AJLondon:Speaking from experience are we? </font>

Can't afford a hired help of any persuasion (just have to clean the swimming pool myself, I suppose ) but I've told Him Indoors that I will replace him with a live-in cleaner - a cute one - unless the kitchen is restored to order. That said, it will be a solitary Sainsbury's BGTY Chicken Tikka Makhani tonight...sometimes the BD bento box can seem like a banquet
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:25 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
it will be a solitary Sainsbury's BGTY Chicken Tikka Makhani tonight...sometimes the BD bento box can seem like a banquet </font>
I know exactly what you mean

After heaps of those ready meals I'm now looking forward to starting a lengthy trip tomorrow that includes about 20 Business / First class flights in the next month with some real food. Yippee! Am visiting some old favourites like BKK and HKT. Then on to SIN, HKG, back to LHR. Then to MAN, FRA, YYZ, YOW, YUL FRA and finally back home to my ready meals again. BTW one of my favourites too: The Sainsbury's BGTY Chicken Tikka Makhani!

PS: Hmmm wonder what "pool boy" is in Thai, then maybe I can sift thru the ads in the BKK Post to see if I can find someone to help you clean up
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:47 am

I frequently fly on bmi from LHR to european destinations. I have found them totally inconsiderate when it comes to *G members for upgrades, regardless of the fare basis.</font>
You're in Europe now, and you don't get upgrades just for being a frequent flier over here you know!
If that's what rocks your boat, stay over in the US (with all the bankrupt airlines, who get very little revenue from paid F and J!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.