Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

best FF program for the girlfriend - or how many flights for silver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2003, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au

This is strange - I had a Gold Card of my own until a while ago, but seeing as I had an SQ PPS, LH Sen and VS Gold, i thought id drop the crummy program in my wallet. Now though, I have an other half (i am quite suprised by this) but we are seperated by the watford gap, her in Leeds me in London. I have two questions - how many economy fares MAN/LBA-LHR does it take to get Silver so she can use the lounges, and second do the £11 fares (web only) count towards this ??

Thanks in advance

Jon
Old Apr 10, 2003, 3:56 am
Original Poster

apparently, according to the website, you can only register for BMI if you have full fare, Y or J tickets - what the hell is going on with the world ?? and what ever happened ot online registration
Old Apr 10, 2003, 3:59 am

Economy gives 10 points per sector (20 points per visit!) 500 points for Silver, 25 returns. I don't know if the web fares qualify.

The lounge at LBA is .... compact, there is currently a sign on the door saying Gold members only (which is contradicted by the web site and by Diamond Club). The lounge staff (generally) guard entrance as though their lives depend on it, I saw Darius (Pop Idol) being refused entry, despite an official invitation.

MAN lounge is a bit bigger, and seemed nicer. More rotations from MAN, and possibly cheaper prices?

Hope this helps a bit.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
If you want to make her silver that bad, then invest in a carnet of 10 full-fare Y tickets (I think it's 1000GBP for MAN-LHR)
http://www.flybmi.com/routepass

Earns automatic silver membership, and general respect and TLC from those bmi folks. Tickets are valid for 4 months, so you can always save these for busy Fri nights and Mon mornings, and send her on GBP11 fares the rest of the time.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 4:32 am
Original Poster

i love her, dont get me wrong, but £100 ow tickets - ill rent a car and drive up to Leeds
Old Apr 10, 2003, 6:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jongar:
i love her, dont get me wrong, but £100 ow tickets - ill rent a car and drive up to Leeds</font>
Jon, you should patent that line before someone uses it in a Valentine's card...
Old Apr 10, 2003, 6:32 am
Original Poster

i am very loving anc caring - theres just no way when the money is coming from my pocket i am forking out the 191.20 i used to pay for D LHR-MAN-LHR tickets.

Side issue - I live in Docklands, nearest tube Surrey Quays. Is it unreasonable of me to insist on meeting her at Earls Court tube and not slog it all the way to LHR and wait for her 21.05 flight to arrive ?? i said she should call when she lands and id meet her half way ???
Old Apr 10, 2003, 7:11 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
If she really loves you, then get her to pay....it's called 'equality' today. My wife is from just North of Leeds, Otley to be precise, and it didn't take much persuasion for her to move South when she realised that I was going nowhere.
ps And she is now divinely happy...say no more.

[This message has been edited by mike turnbull (edited 04-10-2003).]
Old Apr 10, 2003, 7:40 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jongar:
I live in Docklands,</font>
What happened to the pub/hotel in the Lakes?

Old Apr 10, 2003, 7:45 am

Programs: LH Senator, BD Gold
If you just want her to have lounge access, then get yourself an AmEx Platinum card (GBP275pa) and make her a supplementary platinum cardholder (included in the 275 fee).

AmEx platinums get bmi business lounge (but not DC lounge) access regardless of travel class.

So problem solved. [Though this might create new problems when she starts charging a mint to your card... ;-) ]
Old Apr 10, 2003, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

apparently, according to the website, you can only register for BMI if you have full fare, Y or J tickets - what the hell is going on with the world ?? and what ever happened ot online registration </font>
I actually enquired about online registration once upon a time and they gave me a very stupid answer. However, you can still join DC without having any Y/C BPs. I did that and my balance is 0. I have AC*S and use the bmi blue DC to get extra baggage and... if you can believe this one -- access to the IAD lounge! (Yup, it would last month. I couldn't believe it -- I just walked in and said that I believe I have access and they said yup, welcome. So, meh, I'm not going to complain.)
Old Apr 10, 2003, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Side issue - I live in Docklands, nearest tube Surrey Quays. Is it unreasonable of me to insist on meeting her at Earls Court tube and not slog it all the way to LHR and wait for her 21.05 flight to arrive ?? i said she should call when she lands and id meet her half way ???</font>
No, not unreasonable, but you will win brownie points if you go all the way.

That being said, are you planning to fly up to visit her?
Old Apr 10, 2003, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As an alternative to the AMEX, you can pick up a Diners Club International card (I have no clue what the British prices are, but I have a Canadian one and it cost me 65CAD / 30 GBP a year) and you have access to the lounges at LHR T1 and MAN. Of course they aren't as nice as the bmi ones are, but it sure as hell beats waiting at the gate area.
Old Apr 10, 2003, 9:32 am
Original Poster

going all the way isnt an issue - after 2 weeks she tends to be a little horny. she may not thank me for that comment though. I'm not allowed to meet the parents yet, and seeing as she is temporillery living there, while her place is sorted, its a big no no. any way, why go out when you can order in
Old Apr 10, 2003, 9:50 am

how about a nice romantic w/e in NYC? that would get her most of the way to silver...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.