Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

BM's value to others? Great slots at Heathrow!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 1999, 8:48 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Todays WSJ discusses the attractiveness and future attractiveness of alliances with BD noting they are well positioned but in need of open skies. See www.dowjones.com

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 10-07-1999).]
Old Sep 30, 1999, 9:53 am
Original Member

Oh, original thoughts then! Clearly BDs strongest asset is 18% of the slots at Heathrow - i've posted my opinion on what their best future is several times - I don't need to again.
Old Sep 30, 1999, 11:24 am
doc
Original Poster

Thought it was actually 14%, but who is counting percentages. It's remarkable, as you know james, that BD is not very well known here in the US simply because they are prohibited from flying the Heathrow route to the states! Tough on British businesses!

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 10-07-1999).]
Old Oct 1, 1999, 7:57 am
Original Member

18% was off the top of my head - could well be 14. It's a lot, anyway.
Old Oct 1, 1999, 11:55 am
doc
Original Poster

Nontheless they are the 2nd largest carrier in the country! Soon to be alligned with...? Only time will tell. Have a nice weekend.
Old Oct 1, 1999, 11:59 am
Original Member

Apparently they are due to undergo a major relaunch, perhaps even including a name change because British Midland sounds so small and localised (read: unknown in the US). We shall see...
Old Oct 19, 1999, 11:59 am
Original Member

Delta or Star , but not KLM. Announcement due by end of week.

Tim
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/Bu...ba181099.shtml

Old Oct 19, 1999, 12:19 pm
Original Member

Interesting - thanks. Shame the Indie (last paragraph) is only 18 days behind flyertalk

This could well decide my whole future FF alliegence. If British Midland goes to Star, my choice of alliance becomes almost a formality.
Old Oct 19, 1999, 12:53 pm
Original Member

Agreed James, to UK folks, this one is fairly important. I'd be interested to see if anything (negative) happens to the VS / BD link when BD gains a UA link thru Star. My route of choice BD MAN to LHR (so much nicer than the cattle truck of BA and cheaper) to the US on VS, might change...

[This message has been edited by Tim_T (edited 10-19-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Tim_T (edited 10-19-1999).]
Old Oct 20, 1999, 4:00 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
SAS (Scandinavian Airlines System) has actually a 40% stake in British Midland. They intend to sell half of that (20%) to Lufthansa (they 'only' wait for official approval from EU and GB officials/governements).

Yesterday (tuesday, oct-19) evening LH confirmed, that they are in advanced talks with British Midland about LH becoming a major share-holder and also about British Midland to join Star.

(from different Reuters news Oslo/Frankfurt)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.