Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

AA to start MAN-MIA... what about BD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2004, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs

The AA board has a thread suggesting that come November AA will begin two-class 763 service MIA-MAN.

Wasn't this a route that BD was exploring? Perhaps as a replacement for YYZ-MAN when that seasonal route isn't running?
Old May 23, 2004, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
The AA board has a thread suggesting that come November AA will begin two-class 763 service MIA-MAN.

Wasn't this a route that BD was exploring? Perhaps as a replacement for YYZ-MAN when that seasonal route isn't running?
BMI have decided to serve some Caribbean destinations instead this winter - if they take delivery of a 4th A330 then another US route could be an option, though more speculation seems to be surrounding possible routes to India.
Old May 24, 2004, 4:05 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Sheer, unfounded speculation - MAN-CLT, to connect with USAirways? It might actually be better than trying to compete head-to-head with AA/BA on MAN-MIA, since US could provide comparable connections throughout the southeastern US and Caribbean as to what AA would provide out of MIA, and far superior to anything BD could get from MIA.
Old May 24, 2004, 7:09 am

Programs: UA-1K, SPG-Plat & Hertz-Presidents Circle
BMI US routes

Originally Posted by chalf
Sheer, unfounded speculation - MAN-CLT, to connect with USAirways? It might actually be better than trying to compete head-to-head with AA/BA on MAN-MIA, since US could provide comparable connections throughout the southeastern US and Caribbean as to what AA would provide out of MIA, and far superior to anything BD could get from MIA.
I still think if BMI was seroius about opening new business routes into the USA then they should look at providing the only west coast direct service from MAN into either LAX or SFO. As a comprimise they should also look at MAN - DEN rather than a US hub.
Old May 24, 2004, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It probably makes sense for BD to look for other long-haul routes than US ones, where the competition is fierce.
Old May 24, 2004, 8:12 am

wasn't their some talk of South Africa. The flight to JNB is similar length to LAx but the fares are always more expensive to JNB.

Does the arrival of SAA into Star make JNB more or less likely?

Stephen
Old May 24, 2004, 11:08 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
The problem with longer routes; South Africa, West Coast of the USA, Pakistan etc. is that these require 2 aircraft to offer a daily service because of the long flying times one aircraft cannot manage it.

I doubt DEN, since they already operate to ORD. MIA would have been nice, but since UA closed it's South American connections its not so great, especially since package tour operators fly that route.

Looking at past performance, BMI will want a route that can use *A codeshare flights into a *A hub to help sell seats.
Old May 25, 2004, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Peter M
The problem with longer routes; South Africa, West Coast of the USA, Pakistan etc. is that these require 2 aircraft to offer a daily service because of the long flying times one aircraft cannot manage it.

I doubt DEN, since they already operate to ORD. MIA would have been nice, but since UA closed it's South American connections its not so great, especially since package tour operators fly that route.

Looking at past performance, BMI will want a route that can use *A codeshare flights into a *A hub to help sell seats.
CLT would seem to make sense to me (and I would probably use the service !)

As for the aircraft cycle problem mentioned above, is there enough time to schedule a 3 day cycle of MAN - LAX - MAN - IAD - MAN - ORD - MAN and run three planes on this cycle, for example.

It is also worth noting that BD don't always offer daily services on their long haul.
Old May 25, 2004, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If flying to North America, I would agree that it would be most likely to be to a *A hub.
The problem with CLT is that US already has a PHL-MAN. They would probably be more inclined to route customers that way rather than via CLT on BD.

However, an alternative approach is to find a niche point-to-point route likely to generate good yields (I guess that it is the idea behind the Carribean routes) and it might perhaps be a better strategy for BD than another US route.
Old May 25, 2004, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
If flying to North America, I would agree that it would be most likely to be to a *A hub.
The problem with CLT is that US already has a PHL-MAN. They would probably be more inclined to route customers that way rather than via CLT on BD.

However, an alternative approach is to find a niche point-to-point route likely to generate good yields (I guess that it is the idea behind the Carribean routes) and it might perhaps be a better strategy for BD than another US route.
Talking of nice routes, there has been rumour of BD trying to open up a route to India. Something like MAN-BOM would work well from a cargo as well as a passenger perspective.

How about MAN-SFO? Would make connections to the western US and Hawaii easier. There's also no west coast competition as yet ex-MAN.

Another possibility (I stress I have no basis for this beyond my fertile imagination) would be flying to Asia - if SQ were to ever drop the MAN service BD could step in. MAN-BKK or MAN-NRT would also be doable in theory, allowing access to local *A connections (though slots at NRT could be an issue).
Old May 26, 2004, 3:12 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
SQ drop their MAN service ??

How dare you suggest such a thing

Aside from being absolutely mortified, I cannot see any reason that would even be considered. The loads are excellent now they've gone direct 5 times a week, over 70% of pax going down under.

I believe BOM is being strongly considered by BD and I think it would do really well. When SQ used to stop in BOM twice a week on the SIN flights all 3 classes were always sold out.

BKK is another possibility with Thailand being the number 1 long haul holiday destination from the UK. I believe MAN have been trying to woo TG to MAN for many years, and having been close a couple of times are confident they will 'get them' !.

CX are coming next year to HKG 4 times a week, twice via MUC and twice via SVO (?), so it's getting busy with the long hauls from here ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.