Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Time to spill the beans on DC/bmi errors in your favour?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to spill the beans on DC/bmi errors in your favour?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by sigma421
During the last bonus miles promotion I flew EDI-LHR-NCE-LHR-EDI. The 12,000 mile bonus posted as expected. Then the following day the 12,000 miles posted again. I kept quiet about that one...
The same happened to me on one of the triple / quadruple status miles promotions a couple of years ago. Can't remember exactly how many extra miles I got but it definitely helped me reach DC Gold. These promotions were excellent anyway, and doubling up again made this one fantastic. Almost posted about it at the time but then figured it might be better not to bother.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: BA & BD Gold Once Upon a Time
Originally Posted by sigma421
It was perfectly possible to rack up huge quantities of miles relatively quickly even just by flying. Remember also bmi's love of giving out triple miles to people flying FlexY. If you were doing a FlexY return to Dublin once a week that would be 7,450(ish) miles a week. These offers were on about 50% of the time so that's 220,000 miles a year.
The there's the people who settled 6 figure tax bills on their bmi Mastercard, the hugely generous Hilton transfer rate (you can add another 50,000 a year there without much difficulty), say another 3,000 e-store miles and a paid trans-atlantic trip in business (around 20,000 miles return if you've cleared 55k). That's more than enough miles to take you 'and a friend' in First to some far flung reach of the world at the end of the year.
Exactly. After 9 months of commuting weekly from LHR-ABZ plus a couple of CC bonuses I'd earned enough to take the family to USM in F/J with cash+miles.

If I'd have done the travelling on BA I'd have been lucky if I made a family holiday to AMS in Y.

Colleagues would fly BA and wonder why I was getting on that little plane on the next stand. The chance to fly CDG-BKK in TG suites that's why! I miss the little Embraers and earning/redemption potential, but that said, not much else.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: BDLG, BAEC Silver, Skyteam pleb, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Club Carlson Gold
My 40th Birthday present from bmi

Dear All

One that really touched me was as follows:

Got Mrs. 20-Horse named on my account so she could use my miles for the flights for my Surprise 40th Birthday holiday.

She worked with the ICC to get Virgin Upper Class returns for 2 to Delhi, but they said they would not deduct the miles until after she had told me about the trip - so that I would not twig where I was to be taken. They were true to their word.

My Birthday came and she presented me with the wonderful tiger watching trip she had planned and then I lost the plot 2 days later when it dawned on me that she had spent, I think, 200,000 miles on the flights!

She phoned the ICC and told them they could take the miles from Mr. 20-Horse's account as she had told me all about it - what an honest girl she is!

3 days later, Donington Hall called me and said, Happy 40th Birthday Mr. 20-Horse, we won't be taking the miles, have those flights as our Birthday present to you.

Brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye. Completely spontaneous gesture and it welded me to bmi for good.

Truly amazing.

All the best.

20-Horse
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow that's generous. What a lovely team at DH.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
Booked 2 one way flights in LH F.
The extra Lufthansa miles F supplement was never charged!
Amazing flight as well
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:29 pm

Great story 20-Horse. It is my 40th this weekend. I wonder if BAEC would be equally generous?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:45 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I will admit to having a number of errors in my favour, from mile credits to unorthodox routings, but, like others, don't want to go into specifics, not least to protect those who also did a great job of helping me out when things didn't quite go to plan.

How many people ever actually went to UUS or VVO?

(I did manage to get to Uzbekistan on a European redemption, but that was with Flying Dutchman...)
Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:40 am

I don't mind posting this as it isn't really an error. I was lucky enough to get £600 worth of BMI MCOs for taking VDB on LHR DUB, waiting two hours for the next flight. The aircraft went tech and they had to swap it for another 319 with five less seats.

One of the T&C's on the vouchers was they could only be used for BMI flights. Fair enough.

However, PTS were happy enough for me to use them in part payment for a C&M redemption doing MAN-LHR (BD), then LHR-ZRH-ORD (LX F), then ORD-YVR (UA F).

So there was a BD flight, and it was on 236 ticket stock, and everything worked out rather nicely.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:01 pm

Needed to fly from BKK-CMB but wanted to try out the SQ F lounge at SIN T3 so managed to get the ICC to book an award ticket for me BKK-SIN-CMB on SQ F.

SQ dropped F from the SIN-CMB route and it looked like I was going to have to miss out on that lounge and fly SIN-CMB in C instead.

I knew I was trying my luck and was more than ready to be laughed at and told to get lost but I rang the ICC and they were happy to route me SIN-BKK-CMB on SQ F and TG C. Thus making my 'one way' routing BKK-SIN-BKK-CMB!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 3:22 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by stut
How many people ever actually went to UUS or VVO?
I did a return to KHV for 3 days, was quite interesting and different, gave me a chance to try some of the Siberian express, and in April the river was just starting to unfreeze. Was also the only time I ever flew LH F, somehow paying all miles and the 10k surcharge wasn't so painful when the cost was only 25k miles per passenger .

I will miss the great value (not mistakes) that got me trips to AMM,TBS and EVN on reward flights when gold, which still feel like bargains.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 20-Horse
Brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye. Completely spontaneous gesture and it welded me to bmi for good.
That's a lovely story. And one which doesn't surprise me, given what I have heard about the good folk at bmi.

^^^
Old Jan 28, 2013, 6:37 pm

I forget the zone numbers but I did a GIG-MIA-YYZ (6 month stopover at home) then YYZ-BGI in J which was calculated as an intra-South America/Caribbean trip.

I also flew from YYZ-CPH-SFJ (Greenland) and back when DC had Greenland placed in the same zone as North America, again as an intra-zone award.

I racked up about 100K miles 1700 miles at a time with Hertz, about 100K with Hilton, and quite a bit from flying (I was BD Gold for years).

I was also a member of a number of "families".

It was fun while it lasted, and I never did set foot on a BMI aircraft.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by YYZC2
..., and I never did set foot on a BMI aircraft.
+1
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Same here, never flew BMI, nor used any of the vouchers I received. Accumulated somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 million miles over the years, 99% of which were via flying and associated bonuses. The remainder via non flying bonuses and a few car rentals and hotel stays.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Lots of flights (Europe-Asia in C) double crediting to M&M, often without soliciting ^

Those were the days!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.