Transferring points help

Old Aug 16, 12, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Transferring points help

I have transferred all my bmi and BA exec points to Avios and wondered if anyone knows how I can also add mileage plus points to any of these accounts? It is all so confusing! TIA
Old Aug 16, 12, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Do you mean Mileage Plus points as in United Airlines Mileage Plus? There is no direct way. The BD -> BA transfer mechanism solely exists due to BA's takeover of bmi.
Old Aug 16, 12, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
All these miles yet you don't know the difference between them?
Old Aug 17, 12, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY View Post
All these miles yet you don't know the difference between them?
Come on Hiddy, lets keep the unfriendlyness towards new posters on the BA board!
Old Aug 17, 12, 3:30 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, HH Diamond, PC Gold, BMI Gold (RIP)
Welcome to FT Curlylox

As colmc says, you can't transfer Mileage Plus miles directly in to either account. There may be a way to move MP miles via a 3rd party and then on to one of the programs, but this can be a bit difficult and usually doesn't offer much in the way of value.

How many MP miles have you go to transfer out of interest?
Old Aug 17, 12, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks to most of you for the replies.

Who said I didn't know the differences??? I know quite a lot,but not as much as lots of people on this forum, I had hoped someone might be able to offer help with this particular problem.

I have about 200,000 mileage plus points from United. I am sure I will use them on something. I would have liked them transferred to my Avios then I could use them for 9000 points domestic flights within the UK and get flight saver fare which is only 27 instead of paying the tax.
Old Aug 17, 12, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Curlylox View Post
I have about 200,000 mileage plus points from United. I am sure I will use them on something. I would have liked them transferred to my Avios ...
You have to start from the general proposition that frequent flyer miles cannot be transferred from one scheme to another. I think that the surprise that people are expressing is that someone can have accumulated a substantial number of miles in such schemes without knowing this.

Sometimes there are exceptions, such as for Avios where the three airlines and one additional rewards scheme within the IAG group are allowing transfers between them.

Between some schemes, there are also some ways of "laundering" miles through a third party (eg points.com). But (as has been said) this usually involves someone taking a huge chunk out of your miles for the privilege of doing it for you.
Old Aug 17, 12, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. The negative reply was made before I was asked how many points I was talking about! Not to worry at least I now have the answers I needed. Once again thanks to those who offered advice

Last edited by Curlylox; Aug 18, 12 at 3:11 pm
Old Aug 17, 12, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Just an idea.... which unfortunately I don't have time to research for you. But just wondering if it could be worth it for you to do some research into whether a transfer route is possible via a hotel program. (UA -> hotel program -> Avios).

A possible source you could start from might be :
webflyer dot com. If you look under programs on that site, there is a mileage converter across programs. So you might be able to identify a suitable sequence of transfers that would eventually achieve what you need.

Note : please do us a favor. If you do find a way to do this, please do NOT post ultra-exact details on flyertalk. This will lead to an immediate closing of whatever loophole you find, and no one else will benefit. If a rush into relevant programs follows, overall rules on whichever program you find that does this, will be tightened by the program owners to the disadvantage of everyone. But I bet with a bit of diligent research, you've got chance of finding one.

Good luck!

Last edited by h15t0r1an; Aug 17, 12 at 3:12 pm Reason: extra word of advice to FT newbie
Old Aug 18, 12, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you - I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I will look into it and hopefully get a positive result. Once again many thanks.
Old Aug 19, 12, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
still everything in bmi

All my miles are still on bmi. Is there already a "last transfer" data?

Is there a reason for me to transfer now or to keep in bmi?
Old Aug 19, 12, 3:32 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan View Post
As the transfer is a one-way matter, you retain maximum flexibility by keeping your miles in DC. I would make a token transfer to BA, to ensure the process works for you. I moved 2 miles to test it.

There's no date for the end, just yet, but I imagine we'll be hearing about that within a few short weeks. I cannot see it going beyond the end of the summer schedule - because bmi will not go beyond the summer schedule.
Old Aug 19, 12, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan View Post
All my miles are still on bmi. Is there already a "last transfer" data?

My reason For wanting to transfer is because Avios have a flight saver fare which means you can get flights in zone 1-3 for 9000 points and only pay a fee of 27 . BMI and BA charge the points plus full tax - on the routes I book that would be approx 90.
Old Aug 19, 12, 4:42 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by Curlylox View Post
My reason For wanting to transfer is because Avios have a flight saver fare which means you can get flights in zone 1-3 for 9000 points and only pay a fee of 27 . BMI and BA charge the points plus full tax - on the routes I book that would be approx 90.
So, transfer what you need, when you need it - and keep the rest in bmi and retain flexibility (VS for 2 more weeks, QR, UN, bmi using Gold-C4Y with C&M etc. etc...).
Old Aug 19, 12, 8:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Transferring points help

Of course DC will have to be kept alive until IAG decides what they are going to do with the mbna credit card offering, which incase anyone hasn't applied is still offering 20,000 sign up bonus miles.

And just a word on HIDDY, he's very much harmless

Think of him as the old grandparent sat in the corner waiting to use his only line

cs

Search this Thread