Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

BA's seemingly impressive takeover of BD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2012, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC

Anyone else get the feeling that BA is doing to BD exactly what LH seemed incapable of doing?

Whether any of us like it or not, BD appears to be swallowed whole quickly and easily. The GDS changes show how capable BA is of solving what I believe to be BD's biggest achilles heel - it's incapacity to price a route rationally. Also the breakup of DC is being done quickly and efficiently. LH appeared to not have the balls to do what BA has managed to achieve in just over a month.

As much as people complain about BA, I have to admit that I am impressed.

I will miss BD, but the Amex 2-4-1 for our household is a sweetener to the whole thing, and the 12+ plus of status pretty much seals the deal that all my spend will go to OW.

Star was a nice diversion, but with Z fares crediting at lower rates on LH despite many last minute tickets for work/pleasure also ticketing in Z (but at expensive rates), M&M is no longer interest. AF/KL also did their April fools trick, so as much as I dislike the catering on BA and the inconsistent service (I am used to this on QF already), I think I will have to stick to the moody one. She has her problems, but it does look like she might be the old dog who has learnt new tricks (for me at least).
Old May 11, 2012, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I hadn't taken BA for years till early this year when they had that promo deal in CW.. and I was quite impressed with the service overall. The only thing I hated about them is T5 !! And the horrendously high YQ that BA charges.

It would be good when one gets BA*G (again). And use them on other OW partners.
Old May 11, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
The only thing I hated about them is T5 !!
What is wrong with T5? At the moment, IMHO, it is the best terminal at LHR!
Old May 11, 2012, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
BA*G
BA joining Star Alliance?
Old May 12, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by OPebble
What is wrong with T5? At the moment, IMHO, it is the best terminal at LHR!
I think that is a perfect example of damming with faint praise.

The lounges in T5 are excellent. Everything else from security that still takes way too long though the public areas that have so many retail outlets that there isn't space for people on to the interminable passport control and slow baggage delivery makes it an awful airport experience,
Old May 12, 2012, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Anyone else get the feeling that BA is doing to BD exactly what LH seemed incapable of doing?
To be fair to LH, though, they were not remotely in the same situation: BA is in effect shutting down BD by transferring some of its assets to its systems. THis was not an option for LH. To have something approaching a parallel, you would need LH to absorb Air Berlin (and even then, it would not be quite the same).

Originally Posted by thegoderic
I think that is a perfect example of damming with faint praise.

The lounges in T5 are excellent. Everything else from security that still takes way too long
Is that in transit from elsewhere? As a LON-originating pax, I might perhaps just have been lucky but I cannot say that I have found LHR significantly worse for security delays than any other large or large-ish European airport (FRA, CDG, MUC, AMS, ZRH, FCO, etc...) and, on return, I have usually found Iris to be working at T5.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, MeliáRewards Platinum (no longer used)
BA's takeover seems somewhat less impressive to me after being in heathrow T1 today. The line for check-in was ridiculous. It seems BMI/BA didnt think to hire anywhere near enough staff. ICC hadn't booked my flight correctly, so 1 hour and waiting in 3 queues later I finally got checked in (and that was with priority check in!) The bmi staff seemed to be pretty unhappy themselves about the lack of staff. The guy infront of me in the line was a BMI pilot and he was complaining loudly to the desk girl.

Hopefully this is the worst of the transitional stage and BA will have things operating a little more smoothly soon!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
A cynic might say LH's plan was always to mess around for 2 or 3 years and then unload BMI whilst keeping as many of the slots at LHR as it could for LH Group. LH has not done as badly on its other acquisitions.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by kingofbeans
BA's takeover seems somewhat less impressive to me after being in heathrow T1 today. The line for check-in was ridiculous. It seems BMI/BA didnt think to hire anywhere near enough staff. ICC hadn't booked my flight correctly, so 1 hour and waiting in 3 queues later I finally got checked in (and that was with priority check in!) The bmi staff seemed to be pretty unhappy themselves about the lack of staff.
A large number of the bmi staff who came from Menzies last year with the Lufthansa handling contract have not been offered the opportunity to join BA and will return to Menzies with the Lufthansa contract at the end of summer. As a result only the original bmi staff (less than half of the current bmi LHR work group) have selected and trained on the BA computer system and product.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
A cynic might say LH's plan was always to mess around for 2 or 3 years and then unload BMI whilst keeping as many of the slots at LHR as it could for LH Group. LH has not done as badly on its other acquisitions.
Do we know how many slots they kept in return for spending almost 1 billion euros on BD? Does it give a good price per slot?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is also forecast to be the busiest day yet in Heathrow's history so understandably things may be a bit stretched.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Isn't every holiday the busiest day in Heathrow's history?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
OS is a complete basket case with SN not far behind. In fact rumour has it that LH won't buy the rest of SN that it does not already own. Sorry, but only LX has done well and that is largely due to to both good managament and the collapse of SR which allowed it to take out all the bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.