Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

IAG and LH agree sale of British Midland Airlines Ltd; BD 'to exit *A on completion'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG and LH agree sale of British Midland Airlines Ltd; BD 'to exit *A on completion'

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by jbfield
Raffle's is referring to Tesco Clubcard points.
...which can now also be transferred to VS as well as BA, which would therefore give you a way of using Tesco for *A flights if VS came into *A as a result of this deal!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
It's looking quite good for tricky Dicky on this one if you ask me. It's not like it was 25 years ago where BA / IAG could have relied fully on government support for whatever they did both because government now has less influence on matters such as this and because I suspect they are reasnably well disposed to SRB after 'taking' Northern Rock off their hands.

Add in the near certainty that regulatory issues can be resolved quickly, LH wanting to cut their losses ASAP (you would think) and the fact that the reality is that a BD/VS tie up is probably far less threatening to LH than giving BA shedloads of slots then it looks very good for VS.

As for STAR membership....that would be the stumbling block I'd imagine. Can't see UA or possibly AC being too happy at the competition - especially if there is Middle Eastern money involved (which would also upset LH I'd guess).
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
The money is coming supposedly from EY isn't it? And aren't EY being courted by * anyway?

As it's CO management at the top of UA now and CO are already VS partners it could potentially be less of a problem than people imagine. Plus it opens up LHR-JFK in a big way for *

A lot of positives here

EDIT: I also see over on a.nut that AC themselves are wobbling towards bankruptcy, so they have other things to worry about.

Last edited by Tiger_lily; Dec 12, 2011 at 8:12 am
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
The money is coming supposedly from EY isn't it? And aren't EY being courted by * anyway?

As it's CO management at the top of UA now and CO are already VS partners it could potentially be less of a problem than people imagine. Plus it opens up LHR-JFK in a big way for *

A lot of positives here

EDIT: I also see over on a.nut that AC themselves are wobbling towards bankruptcy, so they have other things to worry about.
And there is zero overlap between VS and BD networks, so more BD routes (and jobs) will be protected I suppose..
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
Good point on the UA / CO management....but would the fact that VS now compete directly on LAX, SFO and ORD (?) not make that previous code-share agreement a bit iffy? Though admittedly they have competed on the New York route for a while depsite the codeshares.

I saw that regarding AC on A.nut. Wonder if they are still putting all their focus on keeping more ambitious profitable companies out of their patch? Apologies for being OT and in the wrong forum. I do realise the profitable and ambitious are rarely mentioned in here!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
To be honest I think that the status quo would be maintained. There's obviously enough pax around to sustain current schedules on those routes
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:47 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
I believe the offer has been on the table the whole time - afterall VS did say they had placed a bid. Presumably as they dont have to announce everything as a publicly listed company does it hasnt all come out.

Now that it may be getting serious LH has to make an announcement.

IAG were saying as far away as 2 weeks ago that they were not the only bidder in the process so I think this is old news made public.
Totally agree and nicely summarized.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
As a doubting Thomas regarding Virgin being able to put their money where there mouth is I will happily eat my hat if VS swallow BD

Seriously,though I would worry about how the new group could turn BD's performance round, don't forget the £38 per pax losses. What about the route network? I couldn't see huge cost savings coming from a VS/BD tie up and so how is anything like the current BD route network, fleet and cost structure sustainable, the axe could swing even faster and cut even deeper than a future in IAG
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:35 am

IMO this is nothing but yet another publicity stunt from Virgin. They have no intention of putting in a serious bid, but when IAG do eventually take over BD they can go crying to the authorities and get some free slots to keep them sweet.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
and get some free slots to keep them sweet.
Wouldn't that one be filed under "smart business" rather than "publicity stunt" ?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:52 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Wouldn't that one be filed under "smart business" rather than "publicity stunt" ?
No, not "rather" - it would be "and"
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: F
FT article on the Virgin bid here.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Good point on the UA / CO management....but would the fact that VS now compete directly on LAX, SFO and ORD (?) not make that previous code-share agreement a bit iffy? Though admittedly they have competed on the New York route for a while depsite the codeshares.
They could probably strike a deal a la the anti-trust immunity AA/BA/IB obtained and operate revenue sharing/schedule co-ordination etc, so they might not be as against it as you would at first imagine.

It would also free up aircraft for expansion on other/new routes for all airlines involved.

<edit> In fact, I'm pretty sure BD is already part of the UA/LH/AC/CO/LX/OS deal</edit>

Last edited by colmc; Dec 12, 2011 at 1:10 pm
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
regarding Virgin being able to put their money where there mouth is
Ah, but I thought the point was that it wasn't their money?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by raikje
Ah, but I thought the point was that it wasn't their money?
I true Tricky Dicky fashion, it'll be somebody elses In fact I am surprised that he hasn't been on the phone to Mike Oldfield to pen a new album especially to fund this venture*

*Read his autobiography and you'll see what I mean

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.