Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

OT: 'The world’s least visited countries'-next lot of 'exciting' BMI destinations?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: 'The world’s least visited countries'-next lot of 'exciting' BMI destinations?!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G
'The world’s least visited countries'-next lot of 'exciting' BMI destinations?!

http://travel.uk.msn.com/adventure-t...ntid=158197070

I can just visualise grimaces of sick pleasure on BMI managers' faces - new lot for their 'exciting' untravellable 'windows of the world'!!!!

Keep it secret, people!:-)

Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Interesting read so thanks for sharing

In my own view the BMI managers will be just loving Turkmenistan (Number 6), it has oil I believe and I'm sure they can just add on another flight from an existing destination in the region 3 times a week, perhaps tagging onto Kazakhstan. I hope the new leader is sensible enough to realise the risk by bringing in British "Revolution" Midland International - since wikipedia says "Political gatherings are illegal unless government sanctioned" I'm sure its got the right kind of potential.

In fact after spending 5 minutes reading about the country I'm amazed that BD isn't already flying there.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Tagging onto ALA wouldn't work though - new ATQ is tagged onto it from 13 October...
Old Jul 1, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Tagging ASB onto GYD could work - but LH already flies into ASB.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TBS and FRU are tagged onto GYD
Old Jul 2, 2011, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I feel shamed I have only been to one of them.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 6:41 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
For those of you wondering (you know who you are) let's suppose the range of a fully laden (ha!) BD A321 from LHR is 2500 nautical miles (and looks like this). Of the fifteen destinations listed by the Bing article, their major international airports and distances from LHR are therefore:

• Moldova Chişinău International Airport 1358nm
  • Mauritania: Nouakchott NKC 2452nm
  • Chad: N'Djamena NDJ 2848nm
  • Guinea-Bissau: Osvaldo Vieira International Airport OXB 2858nm
  • Turkmenistan Ashgabat Airport ASB 2953nm
  • Tajikistan Dushanbe International Airport DYU 3375nm
  • Central African Republic: Bangui M'Poko International Airport BGF 3423nm
  • Săo Tomé and Principe Săo Tomé International Airport TMS 3544nm
  • Bhutan: Paro PBH 4765nm
  • Comoros: Prince Said Ibrahim International Airport HAH 5065nm
  • Marshall Islands Marshall Islands International Airport MAJ 8370nm
  • Kiribati Bonriki International Airport TRW 8771nm
  • Solomon Islands: Honiara International Airport HIR 9331nm
  • Tuvalu Funafuti International Airport FUN 9471nm
  • American Samoa: Pago Pago PPG 9813nm

There are some definite contenders not only within 2650nm of London, but also within range of a two-stop-hop. If we discount the (sadly rather appealing South Pacific) destinations beyond that range, bmi Route Planning have the following contenders (with * Star Alliance and + other alliance links to Europe)

Possible non-stop:
  • Moldova Chişinău International Airport KIV 1358nm (LH: MUC, OS: VIE, TK: IST)
  • Mauritania: Nouakchott NKC 2452nm

Possible two-stop:
  • Chad: N'Djamena NDJ 2848nm + (AF: CDG)
  • Guinea-Bissau: Osvaldo Vieira International Airport OXB 2858nm * (TP: LIS)
  • Turkmenistan Ashgabat Airport ASB 2953nm * (LH: FRA, TK: IST)
  • Tajikistan Dushanbe International Airport DYU 3375nm * (TK: IST)
  • Central African Republic: Bangui M'Poko International Airport BGF 3423nm + (AF: CDG)
  • Săo Tomé and Principe Săo Tomé International Airport TMS 3544nm * (TP: LIS)
  • Bhutan: Paro PBH 4765nm
  • Comoros: Prince Said Ibrahim International Airport HAH 5065nm

Moldova is already well served by *A and is by all the accounts of people I know who have been there, a complete dump.

As discussed above, Tajikistan and Bhutan would require rejigging the existing network to accommodate a one-stop via an existing Caucaus destination, so perhaps they're contenders for additions to the existing network.

Of the African destinations, assuming no more slots are available at LHR, perhaps some re-jigging could accommodate the Central African Republic and Chad via Cairo...

LHR-CAI-BGF (2197nm + 1959nm)
LHR-CAI-NDJ (2197nm + 1623nm)

...on alternate days?

Mauritania, Guinea-Bissau and the previously rumoured Liberia are all within striking distance of Freetown too. Comoros is more tricky - I can't see an obvious two stop routing.

If the mythical bmi Route Planning department are interested, they can drop me a PM
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CAI is a day trip (for the plane, not sure about the crew). So it may have to continue being a LHR-CAI-LHR only unless they can change a few LHR slots around. Also, there is capacity: bmi supposedly need the 149 seats on an A321 LHR-CAI-LHR in busy times.

G-WWBM serving FNA is on a tight schedule rotation with ALA so I don't see how it could go somewhere else after serving FNA.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:06 am

Moldova isn't that bad: Plenty of good wine, a reasonably interesting landscape and some famous tennis players.
Oh, and of course you could visit Transnistria, which is an experience on its own.

Considering that both LH and OS only fly with regional aircraft to KIV, I don't think we'll see BD there very soon though.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BD could send a 319 to KIV I guess...

or an ER4
Old Jul 2, 2011, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I have no great desire to visit any of the African ones.....Bhutan looks the most appealing.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
As this thread is already flagged off topic, let me take it even further to the outer reaches...

Perhaps BMI could be inspired by the great travel writer Paul Theroux who, interviewed in today's Irish Times, lists a number of placenames that have misled the credulous traveller:

Tahiti: “A mildewed island of surly colonials, exasperated French soldiers and indignant natives, with overpriced hotels, one the world’s worst traffic problems, and undrinkable water.”

Mandalay: “An enormous grid of dusty streets occupied by dispirited and oppressed Burmese and policed by a military tyranny.”

Timbuktu: “Dust, hideous hotels, unreliable transport, freeloaders pestering people, garbage heaps everywhere, poisonous food.”

Samarkand: “Not the Silk Road fantasy of minarets and domes but a stinking industrial city in Uzbekistan, known for its chemical factories, fertiliser plants, and out-of-control drunkenness.”

Biarritz: “A crowded French city of cement bungalows, labyrinthine roads, mediocre restaurants, and a stony beach of cold and dangerous surf.”

Guatemala City : “A place that has continually been flattened by earthquakes and badly rebuilt. The majority of the population are slum dwellers, many of who are eager to emigrate from their failed state.”

and finally, just a very short hop from LHR...

Shepherds Bush : “A gray, malodorous, overpopulated district, the opposite of its name. Noted for its shopkeepers, who when it’s not raining, stand at their doorways voluptuously scratching themselves.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Harsh on Samarkand, Guatemala City and Shepherd's Bush are spot on.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Grantosol
As this thread is already flagged off topic, let me take it even further to the outer reaches...

Perhaps BMI could be inspired by the great travel writer Paul Theroux who, interviewed in today's Irish Times, lists a number of placenames that have misled the credulous traveller:

Tahiti: “A mildewed island of surly colonials, exasperated French soldiers and indignant natives, with overpriced hotels, one the world’s worst traffic problems, and undrinkable water.”

Mandalay: “An enormous grid of dusty streets occupied by dispirited and oppressed Burmese and policed by a military tyranny.”

Timbuktu: “Dust, hideous hotels, unreliable transport, freeloaders pestering people, garbage heaps everywhere, poisonous food.”

Samarkand: “Not the Silk Road fantasy of minarets and domes but a stinking industrial city in Uzbekistan, known for its chemical factories, fertiliser plants, and out-of-control drunkenness.”

Biarritz: “A crowded French city of cement bungalows, labyrinthine roads, mediocre restaurants, and a stony beach of cold and dangerous surf.”

Guatemala City : “A place that has continually been flattened by earthquakes and badly rebuilt. The majority of the population are slum dwellers, many of who are eager to emigrate from their failed state.”

and finally, just a very short hop from LHR...

Shepherds Bush : “A gray, malodorous, overpopulated district, the opposite of its name. Noted for its shopkeepers, who when it’s not raining, stand at their doorways voluptuously scratching themselves.
I like your post. He also called Athens "a 4 hour city" which I agree with.
What places does he like?
Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Read for yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.