Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Rant: LBA Should wear Dick Turpin masks (airport charging a fee for driving to the door)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant: LBA Should wear Dick Turpin masks (airport charging a fee for driving to the door)

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2011, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Blue +, Hilton Gold, SOFITEL PRIV
LBA Should wear Dick Turpin masks (airport charging a fee for driving to the door)

just dropped a friend off at LBA and they are now charging £2.00 to drop a passenger off or to pick someone up. This is just another tax on the travelling public..no free time whatsoever, the road running up to the airport was crazy with people unloading luggage trying to avoid this new charge.....

My message to LBA is why are you trying to push your customers away from using the airport???
Old May 30, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
It's the same at BHX and EMA now too

EMA is £2 for 30 mins

Last edited by Tiger_lily; May 30, 2011 at 4:12 pm
Old May 30, 2011, 7:42 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
And BFS too.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Huh?
Old May 30, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: not a lot
And let's not forget EDI who charge a quid.
Old May 30, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA, Airmiles, BMI, HH (Gold), Hyatt (Plat), IHG (Plat Amb), Marriott (Silver), A Club
Unfortunately this exploitative policy will only end when there is a serious accident on the approach road and the airport operators are held to be culpable in some contributory way.
Old May 30, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Add BRS to your list.

They have also provided a "compound" which is free to dwell in, and about 300m walk from the terminal, up a hill.

The problem at BRS is we're so swamped by EZY and FR that pax are used to shelling out for extras here, there and everywhere (Express Lane Security - £5. Servisair Lounge - £16. Plastic Bags - £1 for two. Suitcase wrapping - £8 (IIRC)). And of course those airlines pay as little as possible towards the cost of the airport.

Combined with the "ambitious" pricing of SN/KL/AF on alliance routes to BRU, AMS and CDG, it's not much of a surprise that I'm spending more time at LHR and LCY recently.
Old May 30, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Same for BOH and CWL, whilst there is a Passenger Service Charge, PSC (not included in the ticket price) at BLK and MME....not sure what happens if your flight gets canceled and you have to head back out again - a refund is unlikely.

Cause and effect...I've never used these airports and now I no longer intend to!
Old May 30, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
BHD gives you 10 minutes free. So many people were using 9 minutes then driving out and back in that they have registration plate cameras now. You would be charged for an hour if you re-enter within a (I think) 20 minutes window. I guess that that's more fair than many other but people now park in the old entrance close by. That only fits a few cars.
Old May 31, 2011, 2:32 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
LBA is a *** anyway... I hate it, especially for an early morning departure as the Long Stay Parking is practically in Bradford and the only 'on airport' hotel is the travellodge. Gone are the days of rocking up at 5.20am and (just) making a 6.00am flight. Took the bus / train combo once too... never again. All civilized airlines should leave it to rot a slow and painful death in a sea of FR Alicante-****. Oooh.. the bars open at 5.30am... lets have a pint because we are rough and from Yorkshire... Ugh. /rant.

Last edited by starflyergold; Jun 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm Reason: offensive language
Old May 31, 2011, 2:46 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by jbfield
Same for BOH and CWL, whilst there is a Passenger Service Charge, PSC (not included in the ticket price) at BLK and MME....not sure what happens if your flight gets canceled and you have to head back out again - a refund is unlikely.

Cause and effect...I've never used these airports and now I no longer intend to!
£6 per pax PSC at MME. That is outrageous and a stealth tax. I notice it is intended to 'Secure our future'. I hope it has the exact opposite effect.

Originally Posted by OttoMH
LBA is a sh-ole anyway... I hate it, especially for an early morning departure as the Long Stay Parking is practically in Bradford and the only 'on airport' hotel is the travellodge. Gone are the days of rocking up at 5.20am and (just) making a 6.00am flight. Took the bus / train combo once too... never again. All civilized airlines should leave it to rot a slow and painful death in a sea of FR Alicante-scummers. Oooh.. the bars open at 5.30am... lets have a pint because we are rough and from Yorkshire... Ugh. /rant.
Booze is available in the lounge at this hour as well. Nothing wrong with a 5.30am pint when going on your holidays.
Old May 31, 2011, 2:55 am

Programs: DiamondClub (rip), Currently an Alliance Treble Champion (BA, A3, AZ)
Originally Posted by LiviLion
Booze is available in the lounge at this hour as well. Nothing wrong with a 5.30am pint when going on your holidays.
Of Tetley Bitter? Beaugh... sorry, I am a bit of a snob However, if you had said Champagne in the lounge at 5.30am, well... that's ok then!!
Old May 31, 2011, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OttoMH
LBA is a sh-ole anyway... I hate it, especially for an early morning departure as the Long Stay Parking is practically in Bradford and the only 'on airport' hotel is the travellodge. Gone are the days of rocking up at 5.20am and (just) making a 6.00am flight. Took the bus / train combo once too... never again. All civilized airlines should leave it to rot a slow and painful death in a sea of FR Alicante-scummers. Oooh.. the bars open at 5.30am... lets have a pint because we are rough and from Yorkshire... Ugh. /rant.
all right! calm down!
It's not that bad. Getting there is a pain in the arse, I agree. But I think it's unfair to brand all FR fliers "scummers".
Old May 31, 2011, 3:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat
In January this year I wrote to the Ops Director of LBA stating I would never fly from there again. IMHO its the worst laid out airport in the North.

I have a choice and use MAN even when I could use LBA.
Old May 31, 2011, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BMI Blue +, Hilton Gold, SOFITEL PRIV
it gets even worse, they even charge disabled people who it is not practical to go to the long stay and get on a bus the £2.00

Leeds Bradford Airport your are deplorable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.