Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye Economy Saver Fares?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Goodbye Economy Saver Fares?

While booking an LHR-EDI flight tonight I couldn't help but notice that the economy saver fare basis is no-more. Not that it makes much difference but this appears to be the last nail in the coffin for what were once tiny fares.
At the same time the passenger service charges for Heathrow have mysteriously dropped by £1.50 or so since the last time I booked. Does anyone know why?
Old May 8, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Since the swap to Embraers, I no longer can afford (justify) the fares I've been seeing from MAN-LHR over a week out.

I've been spending a lot of time on the train.
Old May 8, 2011, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
Since the swap to Embraers, I no longer can afford (justify) the fares I've been seeing from MAN-LHR over a week out.

I've been spending a lot of time on the train.
Having forced myself on the 06:45 BD51 last Sunday because all other flights were on regional aircraft (and therefore had £150+ fares) when I booked I know the feeling. bmi don't seem to believe that people need to go places at weekends. Most irritatingly the far more useful 3pm flight suddenly changed from an ERJ-145 to an A320 about 4 days before the flight opening up tonnes of availability which I'm sure never got sold. You do begin to wonder if they want to run the route into the ground.
Old May 8, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Oh they believe people want to travel places at the weekends - just not scheduled customers

The charters seem to be booming along at the weekends..
Old May 9, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
Originally Posted by sigma421
Having forced myself on the 06:45 BD51 last Sunday because all other flights were on regional aircraft (and therefore had £150+ fares) when I booked I know the feeling. bmi don't seem to believe that people need to go places at weekends. Most irritatingly the far more useful 3pm flight suddenly changed from an ERJ-145 to an A320 about 4 days before the flight opening up tonnes of availability which I'm sure never got sold. You do begin to wonder if they want to run the route into the ground.
You know what'll happen next - they'll be losing £1 Million a month, and have no option but to close the route, despite those Flights that actually operate being full.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matt in france
You know what'll happen next - they'll be losing £1 Million a month, and have no option but to close the route, despite those Flights that actually operate being full.
Indeed, let's see what happens in October.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by hugolover
Indeed, let's see what happens in October.
I'll be doing a MR to regain BA Silver - unless they are kind enough to status match.

If things carry on like this, the end of BD domestics can't be a long way off.
Old May 9, 2011, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by matt in france
At this point I'm fairly sure I'll be back on BA whether I like it or not after the clocks go back. Have the new routes been a roaring success though? Given the number of £78 return fares (less than a Glasgow flight used to cost) I've seen on the LHR-BSL route I find it hard to assume that it's always full.
Old May 9, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
Originally Posted by sigma421
At this point I'm fairly sure I'll be back on BA whether I like it or not after the clocks go back. Have the new routes been a roaring success though? Given the number of £78 return fares (less than a Glasgow flight used to cost) I've seen on the LHR-BSL route I find it hard to assume that it's always full.
I flew BSL-LHR last month on a Saturday morning, Economy was maybe 70% full, Business was totally empty. And I flew back on the codeshare with LX to ZRH so I could access the GBL, which as a LH *S I can when flying on LH, LX or OS metal, but not BD metal.
Make of it what you want, but I can't remember seeing many empty seats when flying to GLA... Where I'm going this Weekend. now, which airline to choose for that trip... .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.