FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   OT: LH Offering status match (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/1213392-lh-offering-status-match.html)

OttoMH May 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kevincm (Post 16399842)
Sorry OttoMH. I've dropped the ball recently. It was in a recent Swiss sale (that's ended). I've seen Ibiza for £158 though... it could be more palatable than £140 to ZRH.... http://booking.swiss.com/web/bba.htm?i=0v3&g=2.

My trip is BHX-ZRH (Forced Overnight) - ZRH-BCN-ZRH-5 hour stopover - BHX. I briefly considered single-ticketing BHX-Some LH destination - and back, but as well as being creative, I was also being lazy.

On the plus side, I get to rack up a few more Priority Club points though. Shame the English for "Hotel" in Zurich is "Open wallet and say ARGH"...

Hey, no worries! I figured it out!

MAN-ZRH-MXP for 133 all-in, same day turn on a Saturday. ZRH-MXP is a 'operated by' flight but I still get my sectors for MAN-ZRH and MAN-ZRH-MXP was £90 cheaper.

OttoMH

Kevincm May 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Happy 1000th Post OttoMH ;)

To more important matters.

Sounds good work there. I've got two "Operated by" Segments too - by Helvetic. But there's also two bits of proper Swiss Metal.

Which *should* be enough.

Put it like this: I'm glad I didn't spend £90 BHX-FRA on BMI Operated equipment - would had been no good (although it would had been nice to fly BMI again..)

NewbieRunner May 18, 2011 1:31 am

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 16400504)
Fair enough, but there aren't any BD flights for LX anymore. GVA went back to LX and BSL is a wholly operated BD flight.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Originally Posted by Kevincm (Post 16403882)
I've got two "Operated by" Segments too - by Helvetic.

Helvetic flights are LX flights, no need to worry.

Originally Posted by lorkers (Post 16391404)
I'm reluctant to gamble this on a codeshare, however as we've noted before, sometimes LH does regard a BD codeshare as the real thing...

I'm glad I didn't spend £90 BHX-FRA on BMI Operated equipment - would had been no good (although it would had been nice to fly BMI again..)

LH do not seem to be able to make up their mind whether BD operated BHX-FRA and MAN-FRA flights are LH flights or BD flights. In various parts of their website these flights are described as LH flights or BD operated flights. The fact one daily flight in each direction is a genuine LH flight makes the matter more complicated.

Kevincm May 18, 2011 5:44 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 16406174)
Helvetic flights are LX flights, no need to worry.

To quote the olde Amex adverts "That'll do nicely" ;)

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 16406174)
LH do not seem to be able to make up their mind whether BD operated BHX-FRA and MAN-FRA flights are LH flights or BD flights. In various parts of their website these flights are described as LH flights or BD operated flights. The fact one daily flight in each direction is a genuine LH flight makes the matter more complicated.

Indeed. Which is why in the end I had to dump the BHX-FRA idea. A case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

Oh well, I'll give me my money to Swiss instead... less confusion this way for me....

inamenas May 18, 2011 10:45 am

I have a question regarding this that hopefully someone will be able to answer...

I have a flight booked on LH LHR-TRS via MUC return in June out in E fare code and return in T. Firstly, am I right in thinking this will get me no DC miles?

Also, if I use this ticket to get the status match with FB gold, will I still be able to to use my BD*G card to get the benefits of lounge access etc as I have no status in M+M?

Hope that made sense!

Thanks

NickB May 18, 2011 10:50 am

Originally Posted by inamenas (Post 16408470)
I have a question regarding this that hopefully someone will be able to answer...

I have a flight booked on LH LHR-TRS via MUC return in June out in E fare code and return in T. Firstly, am I right in thinking this will get me no DC miles?

Also, if I use this ticket to get the status match with FB gold, will I still be able to to use my BD*G card to get the benefits of lounge access etc as I have no status in M+M?

Hope that made sense!

Thanks

Your hunches are 100% correct: no miles in DC and, yes, you can still get access to the lounge using your DC card even if you credit the flights to M&M.

And welcome to FT, BTW. :)

starflyergold May 18, 2011 12:11 pm

Welcome to FT and the bmi forum inamenas :)

OttoMH May 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Happy 1000th Post OttoMH ;)

Hehe.. thanks! I had missed that nugget!

4 years, 1000 (and 1) posts, 1 Year BD*G, 4 years KL Elite +, 2 years LH*G in the offing, 16k miles in business class flown (for 4) and 22k miles in first class booked (for 2) and enough for 2 more Z1-3 business class tickets... thank-you FlyerTalk!!!

cgnSenator May 18, 2011 9:00 pm

For everybody who needs 2 segments with LH. You can book the LH train from ZWS to FRA and back. It´s about 150,- Euro. The point is that you just need to check in online for the train. You don not need to be on board!!! A friend did this and was matched successfully last night! :D

cblaisd May 18, 2011 10:34 pm

How long from the time he checked in online for his return train did it take to have M&M update his profile to Gold? (And do you do online check in for the train on the regular LH online check-in site?)

Any other train options?

cgnSenator May 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 16412279)
How long from the time he checked in online for his return train did it take to have M&M update his profile to Gold? (And do you do online check in for the train on the regular LH online check-in site?)

Any other train options?

The traintickets were both on 06/05. It took 3 dass Till the miles showed up in his account. Just this night he was matched. So all in all it took about 2 weeks. He checked normal on lufthansa.com in. And don't forget to credit the miles to M&M. For the "ride" he got 1000 miles. Not bad for beeing at home and watching TV :)

Rus925 May 19, 2011 12:20 am

Originally Posted by cgnSenator (Post 16412520)
The traintickets were both on 06/05. It took 3 dass Till the miles showed up in his account. Just this night he was matched. So all in all it took about 2 weeks. He checked normal on lufthansa.com in. And don't forget to credit the miles to M&M. For the "ride" he got 1000 miles. Not bad for beeing at home and watching TV :)

BRILLIANT! Thanks so much, cgnSenator. I'm in the States, so there was no reasonably-priced flight option on M&M integrated metal between now and July. There's also a generation fly discount on the train segments of about 25%.

Quick question: I do have a friend in Germany. Do you know if Deutsche Bahn checks ID upon boarding? (Since they don't actually take your ticket, I assume not.) Because I might be able to get him to pay a small fraction of the cost of the ticket to ride it for me...

izzik May 19, 2011 12:38 am

FYI
You don't have to pay your friend.

I just bought a ticket for a train this afternoon.

Rus925 May 19, 2011 12:41 am

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 16412662)
FYI
You don't have to pay your friend.

I just bought a ticket for a train this afternoon.

I know, but if he would be interested in a $40 return train ride (is that even a reasonable price?) between Stuttgart or Cologne and Frankfurt, I would only then have to pay $160 instead of $200 for SEN status...

EDIT: $80 instead of $120 since it'll also save me on my M&M credit card annual fee.

izzik May 19, 2011 12:47 am

Hm, charging your friend to "ride" your ticket just so you can save a couple bucks .. even though it's your name on the ticket, not his. Seriously?

Rus925 May 19, 2011 12:59 am

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 16412683)
Hm, charging your friend to "ride" your ticket just so you can save a couple bucks .. even though it's your name on the ticket, not his. Seriously?

This is why I asked whether it'd be a problem if my name were on the ticket and if the ticket prices through LH are inflated. If neither of these are a problem, then yes, seriously, if he wants it and if he can use it. I think it would be perfectly acceptable for him to offer the same thing to me. I see it as a win-win: I get my status for slightly less than full price and he gets a cheap train ticket. If he doesn't want it, I'll book a same-day two-hour turnaround ticket and just check in now to get the miles and status faster and with less worry.

For what it's worth, I've also e-mailed him this thread (I don't think he's an FTer), so he knows what's going on.

izzik May 19, 2011 1:04 am

Obviously it's your decision.. but given the *exceptional* nature of this idea from cgnSenator, I think a little discretion goes a long way.

Plus, if you are getting some kind of discount (student?), I'm sure there will be some form of ID required.

Rus925 May 19, 2011 1:16 am

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 16412728)
Obviously it's your decision.. but given the *exceptional* nature of this idea from cgnSenator, I think a little discretion goes a long way.

Plus, if you are getting some kind of discount (student?), I'm sure there will be some form of ID required.

Haha, alright, because it's so *exceptional* :D, I've told him that he can have the ticket for free if he wants it. He can thank you.

Good point on the student discount, although, unlike discounts on LH flights, which show up as an entirely different fare bucket (with more attractive rebooking/upgrade rules), this is just showing as a lower price on the regular fare bucket. Also, the process to get to the booking page for the student discount involves verifying a U.S. school e-mail address. Therefore, I doubt there'll be anything on the ticket that would alert DB that it is a student ticket, and even so, he's also a student and certainly looks like one. I don't know about DB, but on Amtrak here in the States, I have never been carded to check for my student status (or my identity, for that matter), even though my ticket specifically instructs the conductor to do so.

Rus925 May 19, 2011 1:22 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 16412279)

Any other train options?

The two routes are Stuttgart and Cologne to Frankfurt. They seem to be the same price no matter the day or how far in advance you purchase.

I'm waiting for my new M&M credit card to arrive to charge these tickets to it and get double miles (and a jumpstart on my minimum $2,500 spend), but I'm worried that LH will catch on before the card gets here...

izzik May 19, 2011 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Rus925 (Post 16412792)
The two routes are Stuttgart and Cologne to Frankfurt. They seem to be the same price no matter the day or how far in advance you purchase.

Actually, fares were a bit lower for last minute travel. I assume you're referring to the 255 usd r/t?

Originally Posted by Rus925 (Post 16412792)
.. but I'm worried that LH will catch on before the card gets here...

That's exactly why discretion goes a long way.

cblaisd May 19, 2011 8:14 am

So, for U.S. folks looking for lounge access cheaply, the deal using the train essentially means 21 months of *G lounge access for slightly more than $10USD/month?

Rus925 May 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 16413879)
So, for U.S. folks looking for lounge access cheaply, the deal using the train essentially means 21 months of *G lounge access for slightly more than $10USD/month?

Yes (actually more like $6 for me since I'll save on the credit card annual fee), but I'm already *G through Feb 2012 anyway. This is for the M&M benefits, as I usually fly LH internationally. Of course, this requires a U.S. folk like myself to already be FB Gold (or FB Silver if they just want access to M&M/BMI lounges), which is pretty rare.

matt in france May 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Rus925 (Post 16415301)
Yes (actually more like $6 for me since I'll save on the credit card annual fee), but I'm already *G through Feb 2012 anyway. This is for the M&M benefits, as I usually fly LH internationally. Of course, this requires a U.S. folk like myself to already be FB Gold (or FB Silver if they just want access to M&M/BMI lounges), which is pretty rare.

nb FTLs don't get access to bmi Lounges unless they're departing on LH/LX/OS/LO Metal.

kaka May 20, 2011 9:24 pm

does the asian hop flights count? ie BKK-KUL-BKK or SIN-CGK-SIN

ranjid May 20, 2011 9:53 pm

I am on the SIN-CGK-SIN tonight and back tomorrow, will report afterwards. But I don't see a reason why they wouldn't count.

Regards,
ranjid

OttoMH May 21, 2011 2:59 pm

Just completed my first ever mileage run. Manchester to Milan, for lunch, naturally. Nearly missed my connection and partially lost my trousers trying to run from non-schengen to shengen in 15 minutes from touchdown to gate close in Zurich sans belt (removed in Manchester) due to a 40 minuted delay due to a wheelchair users convention on the inbound flight (19 to disembark, bit like 'Come Fly With Me').

Big glass of wine poured. Am I certifyable? Or just a FlyerTalker??

Kevincm May 22, 2011 6:21 am

Nah. Just a Flyertalker.

Not that I had 2 full strength Nespressos, before noticing the Movenpick icecream and bubbly at the Swiss lounge yesterday.

Before 6:30 in the morning.

Not me at all... ;)

All segments done - waiting for them to start hitting...

rossmacd May 24, 2011 6:07 am

Dear rossmacd,

Thank you for your message and for your interest in our status match offer.

Naturally we want you to benefit from the privileges that accompany the Frequent Traveller Status as soon as possible. However, we require proof of your current status with Flying Blue as the Mileage summary you submitted is insufficient. Kindly register again with your valid status card using the online form under www.more-miles.com.

When you have met these requirements, your account movements will be checked on a weekly basis. As soon as you have received mileage credit for two flights on any route in Economy, Business or First Class – taken between 27 April and 31 July 2011 and operated by Lufthansa, Adria Airways, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Croatia Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, Luxair or SWISS – we will send you your new status card.

It would give us great pleasure to welcome you into our circle of Frequent Travellers in the near future.

Sincerely,
Your Miles & More Service Team
A screen shot of your FB status is obviously not enough! I will scan the card (when I can find it) and submit it to the website as requested.

skrosvik May 24, 2011 7:09 am

I hope a screenshot of the card is enough? I haven't received my card yet, so I copied the card from the "lost my card - print it"-option, and sent it with my application. It looks like a scan off, so I hope they will accept it!

NoY May 24, 2011 7:26 am

All you need is the temporary card that can be printed from the FB web site & then just scan it & e-mail it to LH.

izzik May 24, 2011 8:18 am

Or, if you are scanner-less, just print a copy of the temp card and take a pic with your camera phone...

Rus925 May 26, 2011 11:40 am

New data point:

Inspired by cgnSenator's report, I booked a same-day return on the AiRail on May 21. The miles posted the next day, and I just got upgraded to SEN today!

LiviLion May 26, 2011 1:10 pm

Anyone got any ideas on the cheapest way to do this ex-EDI?

lh.com seems to think there are rtn flights to DUS for £89 but I can't find them even with the T&C's being followed.

Was thinking about EDI-FRA-EDI but it's coming in at about £250 as is EDI-DUS-EDI.

Would prefer to avoid booking the airail and actually fly if poss and would prefer to do a same day turnaround.

Raffles May 26, 2011 1:13 pm

Nothing on Swiss, Austrian etc?

matt in france May 26, 2011 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 16455353)
Nothing on Swiss, Austrian etc?

The only M&M integrated Airline at EDI (in fact, anywhere in Scotland) is LH to either FRA or DUS.

Maybe bmi EDI-ZRH and back via either FRA or DUS?

OttoMH May 27, 2011 2:19 am

Originally Posted by LiviLion (Post 16455333)
Anyone got any ideas on the cheapest way to do this ex-EDI?

lh.com seems to think there are rtn flights to DUS for £89 but I can't find them even with the T&C's being followed.

Was thinking about EDI-FRA-EDI but it's coming in at about £250 as is EDI-DUS-EDI.

Would prefer to avoid booking the airail and actually fly if poss and would prefer to do a same day turnaround.

The only places I could find same day turns under £200 were MAN and LON with LX.

GoldCircle May 27, 2011 5:07 am

And from DUB, the best currently available is €269 to FRA available at weekends, or €170 to ZRH mid-week, but requiring an overnight. :rolleyes:

JP and LG had nothing useful to offer either.

LiviLion May 27, 2011 7:19 am

I've just found a load of good availability for LHR-GVA and back for £100. I can stick a EDI-LHR-EDI around it but the EDI-LHR-EDI is crazy pricing at the weekend so might use uk 9k miles and £60 quid for that part and risk having seperate tickets.

Viks May 31, 2011 3:54 am

Just found out about this match and sent a scan of my card. Received an automated reply:

"We have received your application to status match. After only one flight with a Miles & More airline partner, you will qualify automatically for the Miles & More status which is equivalent to the one you currently hold with Flying Blue. We will send you your personal Miles & More status card after your flight*."

Does it mean they accepted my registration? I want to be sure before booking a flight, as I have received status before (long story, but not exactly a match) and am not sure if they will consider that a similar promotion or not.

Those of you who got rejected or a request for additional information – did you receive the same confirmative email at first?

Raffles May 31, 2011 4:17 am

Everyone gets the same email.

However, for a guidepoint - I got a formal LH status match in 2005 which got me SEN and then FTL status until Feb 2010. I then dropped back to LH Nothing. I successfully got matched again last week with no issues.

Only if you are CURRENTLY Silver or Gold via a match should you expect a problem.