Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Very interesting diamond club news !!! (MFUs, Family membership, iGUVs) : discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Very interesting diamond club news !!! (MFUs, Family membership, iGUVs) : discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 2:58 am

Programs: TG*G
The family combo feature could come in very handy. Especially if my wife and I fly Star to Australia next year.

Any thoughts on whether existing miles can be pooled? My wife has just enough miles that could tip us over a threshold to fly a very comfortable return business class trip to South Africa.

Let's hope this isn't all just smoke and mirrors before LH lets BD run out of cash invalidating all our miles!

Cheers

bmi_Barry
Old Nov 17, 2009, 2:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by RAPC
Round our way, we call them 'lads who can sort him out for you for £50' but I doubt I'll get them to sign up to the HHA
Do you have any lads who can sort bmi out for £50?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 2:59 am

Programs: M&M
This may be a sign of LH's hidden determination of selling BMI in the future.
Long live DC! ^
Old Nov 17, 2009, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Round our way, we call them 'lads who can sort him out for you for £50' but I doubt I'll get them to sign up to the HHA
£50?

Round our way, they'll do it for free. It helps keep their guns in working order
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
All in all very good news, even if the miles for upgrade are expensive (if I compare BA on the TLV route they charge just 5000 miles for upgrade from Economy to Premium or from Premium to Club)

What I do find a little unfair is them invalidating the paper vouchers effective immediately and with no warning.
I have around 10 of them and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
After all there is an expiry date on them, they should honour it.

Even so, great news all around!
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Generally, I think there are a number of real enhancements here, so a big ^ to the DC team overall.

I think that there is clearly a bit of concern over the speed of the GUV system changing over and no grace period to get the paper ones used.(It doesn't affect me or my plans, so I have no vested interest)

Hopefully the bmi team will take this on board and perhaps put some kind of grace period in place for those with paper GUVs to continue using them at the gate, even if only until year end which would still be an improvement of sorts.

Overall though, good work DC.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:02 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by bmiStar
All airlines have their faults, but I now find that whilst I value my BA Gold membership, I can't say the same for DC.
Overall these are good improvements IMO.

Most of airlines' FFP are using eVoucher now and it's better to have a confirmed upgrade seven days before the flight than waiting at the gate.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:04 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Generally, I think there are a number of real enhancements here, so a big ^ to the DC team overall.
+1
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by G_G
it's better to have a confirmed upgrade seven days before the flight than waiting at the gate.
There are many who would disagree; I expect that old debate will happen all over again, especially when you discover you're going to be dealing with the call centre and not flexible ground staff who know what they are doing.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:06 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by flytofly
This may be a sign of LH's hidden determination of selling BMI in the future.
I'd say this has nothing to do with M&M in any way, shape or form.

We were told of these developments - overtly, but moreover covertly, by the various bmi insiders over the last few months - especially around the time of the new database installation. That was before the sale, IIRC.

LH's determination lies in making BD profitable for one of two reasons a) to make it a proper contributing part of the LH family or b) to sell it onwards at a profit.

The FFP is a tiny part of the mix - on this website, there is a tendency to overvalue that which is dear to us. FT Goggles.

I too want to chime in that the invalidation of my GUVs is a poor choice in valuing the most loyal customers; it devalues my past loyalty.

And not permitting the e-upgrades to rollover is an equally poor choice - what of the poor travelling Gold who wants to upgrade his family???

Let's face it, I would have used my GUVs if it had been possible to do so, but given the endless catering issues on the DUB (and other) routes, there have been very few opportunities.

However, the Diamond Club team is to be commended in positively enhancing the programme! ^

Last edited by GoldCircle; Nov 17, 2009 at 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Hopefully the bmi team will take this on board and perhaps put some kind of grace period in place for those with paper GUVs to continue using them at the gate, even if only until year end which would still be an improvement of sorts.
Well, to be completely honest paper GUVs were a loophole. They've never been meant to be transferable or carried into the next periods. DC's putting things back in order: everyone gets their 4 upgrades vouchers, even those who have used their printed GUV from their current membership year (or so it sounds in FAQ). I'd say this is very generous (comparing to how LH handled this issue in the past).

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Do you have any lads who can sort bmi out for £50?
Not sure, but plenty of us have offered to sort out the bmi IT for free! (Or extra confirmable upgrades perhaps )
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Well well - this is an interesting play.

The loss of GUVs - whilst transferable, it knocks the eBay market on the head, whilst "guaranteeing" upgrades per account, and not at the gate. Hopefully will improve access and dread the thought - meals catered for (with any combination of finger/sweetie/towel/etc). The real pain is you have to be in "High Economy" to use CUV, which does negate the point of them for the cheapie flier.

New Membership Cards - seems we've missed a trick here - that or they've been created so if BMI gets sold, it doesn't say *which* airline Diamond Club is...

Household Accounts - 8 member accounts with 2 employees - good for pooling and should pose new questions when redeeming - obviously we'll find out on the properly how this works on 1st December (and if you de-pool people).

MFU - A bit late for me but excellent news on MFU. I could be wrong, but it works out the same price range as Cash and Miles. What will be interesting is if we can earn miles on the base ticket class whilst MFU'ing.

Pretty positive to me ^
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:10 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by adl73x
I was going to use a printed GUV on Thursday. Now, I have to use one from next year's notional allotment, which is not yet visible under account details on the site.
Or, most likely, still use a GUV as the change won't have been communicated properly to any airport staff yet...
Old Nov 17, 2009, 3:21 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by Kevincm
What will be interesting is if we can earn miles on the base ticket class whilst MFU'ing.
It would be unthinkable - and foolhardy - to do anything other than this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.