Wiki Posts
Search

Underocover Boss Abroad (on TLC): BW UK

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Underocover Boss Abroad (on TLC): BW UK

Check your listings. It first aired last night, but will repeat.

You're probably aware that there's a series called Undercover Boss on CBS if you live in the US. But versions of that reality series came out first in other countries, including the UK. This episode dates back a couple years, and is from the UK version of the series.

I found it very interesting to see how differently BW is marketed in the UK (hotels "with personality"). They mentioned they had only recently (before time of filming) done their first TV ad ever!

The CEO of BW UK seemed surprised that a breakfast supervisor at a hotel in the country didn't know much about the BW brand in general. Do you really excpet the breakfast supervisor at a hotel to be that familiar with the chain???

I was also surprised to see that even in the UK (where nothing-but-breakfast Express by Holiday Inn is common) many BWs have a full restauarnt on premises. (This is very rare in the US.) In one town, people mentioned that the restaurant inside the BW is the only thing in town other than fast food. Except maybe in Bryce Canyon City, UT (where the main sit-down restaurant is indeed inside the older of the two BWs), I can't think of a case like that in the US.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
Originally Posted by sdsearch

I was also surprised to see that even in the UK (where nothing-but-breakfast Express by Holiday Inn is common) many BWs have a full restauarnt on premises. (This is very rare in the US.) In one town, people mentioned that the restaurant inside the BW is the only thing in town other than fast food. Except maybe in Bryce Canyon City, UT (where the main sit-down restaurant is indeed inside the older of the two BWs), I can't think of a case like that in the US.
I seem to recall that quite a few of the BWs in the Midwest and in Western USA have F/S restaurants, though as you indicate, it is certainly not a brand standard. It is also fair to say that in some of the smaller towns, the hotel restaurant is indeed the best restaurant in town.

Interesting that in the US where BW tends to be dinged for a lack of consistency, in parts of Europe with mostly independent properties, the BW brand standards, such as they are, generally do make for a more reliable experience.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
All BWs are independently owned no matter where on the planet they are. And quite a few have restaurants based on local circumstances. Some of these, however, may also be independently operated from the ownership of the hotel. (And unfortunately meals can't be charged to the room account to earn extra points.)
Old Apr 10, 2012, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thecoldhandoftechnology
Interesting that in the US where BW tends to be dinged for a lack of consistency, in parts of Europe with mostly independent properties, the BW brand standards, such as they are, generally do make for a more reliable experience.
Regarding standards, perhaps the most interestiing thing on this show was the property he was at which had just failed a BW inspection, and was preparing for a reinspection. That day he was working for the guy who was fixing the rooms, and this guy "fixed" rooms by either changing room numbers on the doors, or if the failed item was moveable (like a worn couch), swapping it with another room with a better version of the same item! After this experience, BW UK changed their procedures for doing inspections (it was mentioned at the end of the show).

But I wonder if this info was propogated to BW Central, and if other countries had similar "loopholes" in their inspections, and if so, whether they're being closed too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.