Wiki Posts
Search

No more requesting airline miles after reservation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IFlyAlaska
No more requesting airline miles after reservation

Haven't seen any posts about this. When I rent from Avis and the other big companies, I always request my promised 600 RapidRewards points for each reservation. Usually I do this after I come back from my trip by calling the car company, give my RR#, and wait the 6-8 weeks for it to show up on my SW account per usual.

This week when I went to request points for a rental I made in JNU, the woman on the phone informed me that Avis no longer submits for airline credit after the reservations have been made due to "people avoiding fees" for using such a benefit. It is now policy that all FF#'s be provided at the counters, and the $3-6 (not sure) fee is paid.

I haven't yet called back to try again/confirm the new policy. Not a big deal either way, but I just thought it was worth mentioning because, last I checked, Alamo/National does not have this policy. Not sure if this extends to Budget as well.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:15 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I'm not surprised at all. Actually, I always wondered why Avis allowed this in the first place.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Closing a loophole that costs Avis money is a smart business move.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Of course, if you earn miles in a non-North American FFP (LH, TK etc.) you don't pay this silly fee in the first place.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by airoli
Of course, if you earn miles in a non-North American FFP (LH, TK etc.) you don't pay this silly fee in the first place.
You don't even always have to pay it for a USA-based FFP. I don't know why, but on most of my rentals the fee is waived (in fact Avis.com explicitly tells me that!), despite me earning AA miles and bonuses on same.

But ironically since I "follow the bonuses" and am always getting way more than the "regular" airline/hotel earnings, I wouldn't mind that much if they charged it.

Btw, hotel programs don't incur the fee either. (And for 3+ day rentals, the seemingly-never-ending Club Carlson 7500/9000 bonuses can be good deal if no great airline bonus jumps in front of you.)
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Sounds like a good business decision.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Why doesn't Avis just charge the fee when people tried to claim miles after rental?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I'm not surprised at all. Actually, I always wondered why Avis allowed this in the first place.
Yet I still see buttons on the avis.com website to request frequent traveler points for my prior rentals.

David
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Though I diligently submit my FF# as a part of rental reservations, it is rare that the miles and bonuses are credited. Thus, I have to track whether they appear and almost always must request the miles after the fact. I wonder if Avis will now try to deny these requests?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, EY, IHG
Originally Posted by Hayden
Though I diligently submit my FF# as a part of rental reservations, it is rare that the miles and bonuses are credited. Thus, I have to track whether they appear and almost always must request the miles after the fact. I wonder if Avis will now try to deny these requests?
It's true that miles aren't always credited when the FF number is entered as part of the reservation, or even when you show your FF card at the counter. I just can't see Avis denying folks these miles, as frequent flyers and associated offers are obviously a big part of their business.

Also, I wonder what they'd say if they tried to deny the miles and I offered to pay the fee?
Old Jan 7, 2023, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by SEAskyrider
Haven't seen any posts about this. When I rent from Avis and the other big companies, I always request my promised 600 RapidRewards points for each reservation. Usually I do this after I come back from my trip by calling the car company, give my RR#, and wait the 6-8 weeks for it to show up on my SW account per usual.

This week when I went to request points for a rental I made in JNU, the woman on the phone informed me that Avis no longer submits for airline credit after the reservations have been made due to "people avoiding fees" for using such a benefit. It is now policy that all FF#'s be provided at the counters, and the $3-6 (not sure) fee is paid.

I haven't yet called back to try again/confirm the new policy. Not a big deal either way, but I just thought it was worth mentioning because, last I checked, Alamo/National does not have this policy. Not sure if this extends to Budget as well.
Perhaps I just caught a lucky break, but a phone CSR recently agreed to process AA miles for a Budget rental completed last month. The miles are now in my AA account, so it wasn’t an empty promise.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 8:21 am

Avis is so haphazard in the crediting of miles associated with rentals. Since the Avis rewards program is worthless, I often give my BA Avios number when I rent from Avis. It rarely posts. I have heard such excuses as "your rate is too low" to "you can only get frequent flyer miles when you rent at an airport".
Old Jan 9, 2023, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by beltway
Perhaps I just caught a lucky break, but a phone CSR recently agreed to process AA miles for a Budget rental completed last month. The miles are now in my AA account, so it wasn’t an empty promise.
Did they charge you a fee to get AA miles?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Did they charge you a fee to get AA miles?
Nope!
nacho likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.