No more requesting airline miles after reservation

Old Sep 6, 14, 8:22 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Seattle, USA
Programs: IFlyAlaska
Posts: 64
No more requesting airline miles after reservation

Haven't seen any posts about this. When I rent from Avis and the other big companies, I always request my promised 600 RapidRewards points for each reservation. Usually I do this after I come back from my trip by calling the car company, give my RR#, and wait the 6-8 weeks for it to show up on my SW account per usual.

This week when I went to request points for a rental I made in JNU, the woman on the phone informed me that Avis no longer submits for airline credit after the reservations have been made due to "people avoiding fees" for using such a benefit. It is now policy that all FF#'s be provided at the counters, and the $3-6 (not sure) fee is paid.

I haven't yet called back to try again/confirm the new policy. Not a big deal either way, but I just thought it was worth mentioning because, last I checked, Alamo/National does not have this policy. Not sure if this extends to Budget as well.
SEAskyrider is offline  
Old Sep 7, 14, 7:15 am
  #2  
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,979
I'm not surprised at all. Actually, I always wondered why Avis allowed this in the first place.
IAHtraveler is offline  
Old Sep 8, 14, 12:43 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SNA
Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Posts: 1,782
Closing a loophole that costs Avis money is a smart business move.
mapu is offline  
Old Sep 8, 14, 9:52 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: ZRH / YUL
Programs: UA, TK, AFKL, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton
Posts: 7,200
Of course, if you earn miles in a non-North American FFP (LH, TK etc.) you don't pay this silly fee in the first place.
airoli is offline  
Old Sep 8, 14, 10:53 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,866
Originally Posted by airoli
Of course, if you earn miles in a non-North American FFP (LH, TK etc.) you don't pay this silly fee in the first place.
You don't even always have to pay it for a USA-based FFP. I don't know why, but on most of my rentals the fee is waived (in fact Avis.com explicitly tells me that!), despite me earning AA miles and bonuses on same.

But ironically since I "follow the bonuses" and am always getting way more than the "regular" airline/hotel earnings, I wouldn't mind that much if they charged it.

Btw, hotel programs don't incur the fee either. (And for 3+ day rentals, the seemingly-never-ending Club Carlson 7500/9000 bonuses can be good deal if no great airline bonus jumps in front of you.)
sdsearch is offline  
Old Sep 10, 14, 12:59 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Posts: 3,092
Sounds like a good business decision.
alphaod is offline  
Old Sep 11, 14, 3:24 am
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Posts: 10,277
Why doesn't Avis just charge the fee when people tried to claim miles after rental?
nacho is offline  
Old Sep 18, 14, 5:47 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Huntsville, AL
Programs: DL DM 1.764MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Posts: 7,789
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I'm not surprised at all. Actually, I always wondered why Avis allowed this in the first place.
Yet I still see buttons on the avis.com website to request frequent traveler points for my prior rentals.

David
DiverDave is offline  
Old Sep 22, 14, 5:58 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: OAK/SFO/SJC
Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Posts: 1,158
Though I diligently submit my FF# as a part of rental reservations, it is rare that the miles and bonuses are credited. Thus, I have to track whether they appear and almost always must request the miles after the fact. I wonder if Avis will now try to deny these requests?
Hayden is offline  
Old Oct 16, 14, 11:22 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Programs: AA, UA, DL, EY, IHG
Posts: 239
Originally Posted by Hayden
Though I diligently submit my FF# as a part of rental reservations, it is rare that the miles and bonuses are credited. Thus, I have to track whether they appear and almost always must request the miles after the fact. I wonder if Avis will now try to deny these requests?
It's true that miles aren't always credited when the FF number is entered as part of the reservation, or even when you show your FF card at the counter. I just can't see Avis denying folks these miles, as frequent flyers and associated offers are obviously a big part of their business.

Also, I wonder what they'd say if they tried to deny the miles and I offered to pay the fee?
flightexpert is offline  
Old Jan 7, 23, 2:35 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,895
Originally Posted by SEAskyrider
Haven't seen any posts about this. When I rent from Avis and the other big companies, I always request my promised 600 RapidRewards points for each reservation. Usually I do this after I come back from my trip by calling the car company, give my RR#, and wait the 6-8 weeks for it to show up on my SW account per usual.

This week when I went to request points for a rental I made in JNU, the woman on the phone informed me that Avis no longer submits for airline credit after the reservations have been made due to "people avoiding fees" for using such a benefit. It is now policy that all FF#'s be provided at the counters, and the $3-6 (not sure) fee is paid.

I haven't yet called back to try again/confirm the new policy. Not a big deal either way, but I just thought it was worth mentioning because, last I checked, Alamo/National does not have this policy. Not sure if this extends to Budget as well.
Perhaps I just caught a lucky break, but a phone CSR recently agreed to process AA miles for a Budget rental completed last month. The miles are now in my AA account, so it wasnt an empty promise.
beltway is offline  
Old Jan 8, 23, 8:21 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 224
Avis is so haphazard in the crediting of miles associated with rentals. Since the Avis rewards program is worthless, I often give my BA Avios number when I rent from Avis. It rarely posts. I have heard such excuses as "your rate is too low" to "you can only get frequent flyer miles when you rent at an airport".
joeyday is offline  
Old Jan 9, 23, 6:32 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Posts: 10,277
Originally Posted by beltway
Perhaps I just caught a lucky break, but a phone CSR recently agreed to process AA miles for a Budget rental completed last month. The miles are now in my AA account, so it wasnt an empty promise.
Did they charge you a fee to get AA miles?
nacho is offline  
Old Jan 9, 23, 6:45 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,895
Originally Posted by nacho
Did they charge you a fee to get AA miles?
Nope!
nacho likes this.
beltway is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.