Search

Shortage of cars

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Shortage of cars

I rented a car in Montreal yesterday.
Reservation was made several days ahead of time, and I arrived on time.
When I got to the Preferred kiosk, I was told no cars available, and I would
have to wait 10-15 minutes. Thirty minutes later, I was given a car and was
on my way. During the wait, I called customer service to complain - I was
told Avis is short of cars due to GM/Chrysler problems.

Anyone else experience this?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
As soon as I saw your thread title, I thought "I'll bet he's at YUL" and sure enough! Happened to me in Dec (30 min wait) and Feb (20 min wait). Complained many times to Avis and finally got 2 X $25 coupons last week when I wouldn't drop it.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

What time were you there? I was there yesterday around 430 and had no issues exchanging my car due to a mechanical issue & I had to pick-up another today. Both times, there were tons of cars available.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
This scenario could be at almost any Avis airport location in the US during the middle of the week.

I generally rent intermediates with the occasional full size. If I am arriving midweek, about 80% of the time I won't get my reserved class or one-class Preferred upgrade. Most often, I will get some sort of SUV, but in some cases I have been downgraded without asking .

Frequently you will see CTSs sitting in the parking lot but they will never be offered - even if you are having to wait.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 2:45 pm

Cool

The main problem is the high flux of people all of a sudden keeping the rental cars longer than their contract states and this caused a lack of cars to fill the rental, then there is a call made to the Fleet and this is what takes the time for those cars to be delivered.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I rent 30-40 times per year with Avis, and I have NEVER waited for a car anywhere but at YUL. I went back through my files, and it's happened 4 times in the last 1.5 yrs. Nov '07, Dec '07, Dec '08 and Feb '09. That's about 3 times too many for me!

I complained loud and clear after the 2 consecutive rentals in Nov and Dec '07 and I thought things were better until it happened twice more. There is definitely a problem at YUL!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: Avis Chairmans, National Executive, Spirit Elite, Virgin Silver, United Premier
My theory (based on what I see in Avis locations in MI, NJ, NY):

This year Avis was predicting a big slowdown so they didn't buy as many new cars as in the previous years, I only saw 4 shipments of new cars this year to DTW and the lot was almost always full. Then came the summer, and travel picked up like every other summer (albeit not as much as two years ago, but still more than last year) and all the cars are gone from the lot. I have driven past Avis lot a few times in the past two weeks and I almost never saw a car there...
Old Jun 24, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond ; Prority Club Platinum; Rapid Rewards A List; OnePass
Avis ELP is HORRIBLE, I go about once per month and they are always out of cars.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I had to wait 25 min at BNA today for my preferred res. Luckily I wasn't in a hurry.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
I've seen the effects of too few cars at SFO recently -

I've been given a Sky/Solstice because they didn't have what I booked (OK by me as it happened, but could easily have been a problem)

There have been a couple of times when they were booked out and no availability for a given date 1 week out.

However, I have had quite a few cars with <1k miles on over the last few weeks.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 8:10 am

We just had our yearly account review, and I was told that Avis had a tough time getting financing for new car purchase when the credit markets tightened up. This may be why people are seeing shortages. Apparently the credit situation has been resolved and they are getting more vehicles onto lots.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I rent 30-40 times per year with Avis, and I have NEVER waited for a car anywhere but at YUL. I went back through my files, and it's happened 4 times in the last 1.5 yrs. Nov '07, Dec '07, Dec '08 and Feb '09. That's about 3 times too many for me!

I complained loud and clear after the 2 consecutive rentals in Nov and Dec '07 and I thought things were better until it happened twice more. There is definitely a problem at YUL!
Add July '09 to my list. Had to wait 15 minutes for a car in Montreal around 8:15 p.m. today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.