Wiki Posts
Search

Do all Avis Cars have 25K+ Miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 7:19 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ezmonee
If it has an R sticker, then it has already exceeded the tier and will likely be rented til the wheels fall off.
"R" tagged Mustang from EWR, stained seats, 28k miles. The joy of being FIRST.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by BearX220
Huge issue if one is traveling with computers or video equipment and intends to park without emptying the car each time. Most rental SUVs do not come with the security cover for the wayback cargo area IME.
That's why I generally request cars as well. It'd be a nightmare if my laptop with confidential client data would get stolen. I don't want to have to walk into a restaurant with 2 bags or something, although I have done it before.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 7:21 pm

And the fleet just keeps on getting older.

My last 3-4 rentals from EWR have been ~35,000 miles. This one is 36 or 38 (I forget). All "R" tagged, most with stained seats and scuffed walls. I found an old rental ticket in one of them that showed the car had only been driven 300 miles or so in the prior 10 days.

I don't know why I keep coming back.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:44 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I was in DUB this month & got a Toyota Avensis (roughly a Camry, minus 3") with ~65000 km, 40000 miles! It was an upgrade in size and an automatic, so I couldn't complain.

The good news was that it was in awesome shape. Granted, I haven't driven an Avis Toyota with > 1,000 miles on the odometer. However, I haven't seen a US Avis car with > 10,000 miles look this good. The inside was impeccable (minus the non-functional dome lights; probably just a fuse gone bad), the only exterior marks were on the rims and 2 stone chips on the hood. Either Avis and renters take much better care of their cars than they do in the US, or a Toyota can withstand the rental blues much better than any car I've driven in the US (or a combination of both).
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:00 am

Programs: Starwood and NWA Plat

I've been seeing a LOT over 30,000 in the past month or so, but last week I got a Hyundai with 42,000 miles on it. Not sure what was worse, the fact that I was driving a Hyundai or the fact that it had 42,000 miles on it!
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:14 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by gnp001
I've been seeing a LOT over 30,000 in the past month or so, but last week I got a Hyundai with 42,000 miles on it. Not sure what was worse, the fact that I was driving a Hyundai or the fact that it had 42,000 miles on it!
I've been in a lot of Hyundais and quite like them. Okay, they're no Cadillac, but they're better than a lot of the cars that Avis offers/offered. I'd much prefer the Azera over any other premium car that I've been offered and the Sonata ran circles around the previous mid/full size cars (Pre-2009 Malibu, Sebring sedan, VW's, base Impala, HHR, PT Cruiser, Ford Taurus/500, etc). My only beef with the Sonata is that the dash is sloped in such a manner that the display on the radio reflects off of the windshield. At night, it's pretty distracting until I forget about it and am able to overlook it.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Delta SkyMiles, Midwest Miles, AAdvantage
Landing at PHL Sunday night I received a tired Sebring with 32k miles and no paperwork, so I had to go to the Preferred Booth to have it printed out. Then, after loading everything in the trunk I discover that none of the power outlets were live, which I needed for my GPS. Unloaded the car and went back to the booth to complain, and they gave me a Hyundai Elantra with 700 miles and XM. I actually like the Elantra quite a bit. It's been a great car to drive this week, so I guess it was worth going through the typical PHL hassle to get a decent car for 5 days. PHL has been almost as bad as ATL Avis this past year.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
After driving an Azera with more than 25k some weeks ago with rust already visible, I refused a Mercury GM recently that had 28k on the meter and looked simply run down, especially considering that it is a "Premium" car.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT (Lifetime GLD), Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, AA Dining VIP
Almost New Car

The other day I had a one-day rental. They gave me a Hundai Sonata with only 1,400 miles on it. After having been with this thread since its creation, I was very pleasantly surprised
Old Apr 5, 2009, 10:05 pm

24,942 at time of rental

Rented a Trailblazer at LAS in March 2009.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Blast Chamber
I guess it was worth going through the typical PHL hassle to get a decent car for 5 days. PHL has been almost as bad as ATL Avis this past year.
I avoid PHL entirely because of Avis!
Old Apr 14, 2009, 2:44 pm
Original Member

ORD last Thursday:

'08 PT Cruiser with 33k miles, R tag, manufactured 11/07, expired Ohio plates
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: LH FTL, AVIS Preferred First, Hertz Gold
Nice surprise

The fleet seems to be that old now that they had to start with replacements. I just got a brandnew Subaru with just 266 miles on the odometer. Rental location: PIT

The car was even equipped with extra features like sunroof or good speakers (harmann-cardon).
Old Apr 21, 2009, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
At FLL I saw a new fleet too, and almost none of them the big 3 brands!
I saw loads of Hyundai, Mitsubishi, and even a toyota!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 7:26 am

In our recent experience, Avis seems to be removing the Trailblazers in favor of Dodge Nitros, which is not an upgrade IMHO. The Nitros are much smaller, which is very problematic for hauling equipment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.