Search

Proper tip amount?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
Proper tip amount?

Any suggestions of to what the proper tip amount should be to be given to an Avis employee that drives you to your terminal or helps to load your bags into your car?

Thakns
Old May 1, 2008, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I used to tip the employee who'd drive me to the terminal, but then I recall reading here on FT that Avis employees aren't allowed to accept tips (firing offense?) and I stopped. I've never gotten a cross look for not tipping.

When I tipped, it was usually like $5.

Btw, I never tipped anyone who helped load the bags into the car, (1) that was at the rental locations with lots of employees around, so I guess they really could've gotten in trouble and (2) the person helping me with bags more often than not has been a manager, who I wouldn't think of tipping.

That aside, I will bring gifts of various kinds (eg duty free chocolates) to the folks who help me frequently.
Old May 2, 2008, 8:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
I tip about $1 if I have only one heavy bag. $2 for 2-3 bags. I've never had anyone turn it down.
Old May 2, 2008, 8:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by TxTrav
I tip about $1 if I have only one heavy bag. $2 for 2-3 bags. I've never had anyone turn it down.
I just re-read the OP. I've never had anyone help me put the bags in my car!
Old May 2, 2008, 3:52 pm

employees are not supposexd to be tipped, but most line managers in general are very understanding of the custom so as long as its done discretely, go ahead. If an employee refuses a tip, trust me, theres a very good reason (QA inspectors around)) so do not try and force it on them.

As a manager, ive been asked whats a proper tip. Theres two places where I feel tipping would be commonplace. Assisting with bags on/off shuttle bus and driving people to the terminal/home/hotel.

On the shuttle, if your tipping more than 1 dollar per bag, your tipping too much. The drop off service depends on status. If you are a CHM and the drop off service is part of your normal benefit, tipping should only occurr if you feel the person went out of their way to assist you. For instance, if its the same guy who always drops you off, I would tip 3-5. If they drop you off at EXACTLY the right spot, little walk, hail a porter for you, put all your bags onto the porter's cart search the car for any lost belongings before driving off, That kind of effort deserves a tip as well.

If the agent drops you off says thanks and speeds off, thats useless as far as tips go.

now for you frequent renters at a specific location: tipping the agents works, but it doesn't have to be significant. My agents used to ooh ahhh when a pharm rep came around and gave tons of free pens, clipboards, and other promotional materials. Since those items would just make his/her travel more cumbersome, offloading em was a no brainer, but the decision to save some for the agents at the airport made those guys well liked and more likely to get the suprise H class upgrades etc etc. Also, food. Agents remember who brought them food. a dozen donuts goes miles towards bieng put on the "whitelist" of preferred customers who get more than the benefit of the doubt when it coes to fuel issues, upgrade choices, etc etc.

One guy always brought a pie......when the preferred agent saw his name on the manifest, she would always say "its pie day!!!" and then ask management for a really nice car.

sometimes its the little things.
Old May 2, 2008, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
Thanks for explaining it. I never would thought it to be such a complicated business

Originally Posted by ezmonee
employees are not supposexd to be tipped, but most line managers in general are very understanding of the custom so as long as its done discretely, go ahead. If an employee refuses a tip, trust me, theres a very good reason (QA inspectors around)) so do not try and force it on them.

As a manager, ive been asked whats a proper tip. Theres two places where I feel tipping would be commonplace. Assisting with bags on/off shuttle bus and driving people to the terminal/home/hotel.

On the shuttle, if your tipping more than 1 dollar per bag, your tipping too much. The drop off service depends on status. If you are a CHM and the drop off service is part of your normal benefit, tipping should only occurr if you feel the person went out of their way to assist you. For instance, if its the same guy who always drops you off, I would tip 3-5. If they drop you off at EXACTLY the right spot, little walk, hail a porter for you, put all your bags onto the porter's cart search the car for any lost belongings before driving off, That kind of effort deserves a tip as well.

If the agent drops you off says thanks and speeds off, thats useless as far as tips go.

now for you frequent renters at a specific location: tipping the agents works, but it doesn't have to be significant. My agents used to ooh ahhh when a pharm rep came around and gave tons of free pens, clipboards, and other promotional materials. Since those items would just make his/her travel more cumbersome, offloading em was a no brainer, but the decision to save some for the agents at the airport made those guys well liked and more likely to get the suprise H class upgrades etc etc. Also, food. Agents remember who brought them food. a dozen donuts goes miles towards bieng put on the "whitelist" of preferred customers who get more than the benefit of the doubt when it coes to fuel issues, upgrade choices, etc etc.

One guy always brought a pie......when the preferred agent saw his name on the manifest, she would always say "its pie day!!!" and then ask management for a really nice car.

sometimes its the little things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.