Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Germany

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MR Ambassador, HH Gold
Avis Germany

My understanding that Avis Germany is not actually part of Avis, but rather is a franchise. Is it true that status is not recognized by them and thusly don't give upgrades based on status? I just need to know as it will affect what level of car i will reserve. Thanks.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: Plat Royal Ambassador/HH Gold/MR Silver/Meliá MAS/Ivory Flying Blue/Basic Eurobonus/Avis Preferred
Hmmm, as far as I know this is not unusual in Europe. I think that most markets ( countries ) are franchises but this fact should [B]not[B] make any difference.
You are renting with Avis. Franchise or company owned should not make any difference.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 4:46 pm

Avis Europe is an independent company (no relation to Avis USA), with Avis Germany being a subsidiary (no franchise).

http://www.avis-europe.com/content-48

Avis and Budget are recognised all over the world as strong and truly global brands. The quality and service behind them are delivered through a network of wholly owned subsidiaries and licensee partners. Avis Europe operates the Avis and Budget brands and systems throughout Europe, Africa, Middle East and, through Avis only, in Asia.

Avis Budget Group, Inc., quoted in the US, operates extensively throughout the rest of the world. Although they are independentlly owned, the two companies work in partnership to provide a global service for customers, wherever the customer is renting.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:12 pm

Programs: Former COA Silver; AVIS Chairmans Club; AOPA
Originally Posted by uibd
My understanding that Avis Germany is not actually part of Avis, but rather is a franchise. Is it true that status is not recognized by them and thusly don't give upgrades based on status? I just need to know as it will affect what level of car i will reserve. Thanks.
I very recently returned from Germany. As mentioned above, AVIS Europe is a separate operation and I was aware of that before I made my AVIS reservation several months ago.

I am a Chairmans Club member --- which in the US gets me the "available" vehicle of my choice so long as I rent an Intermediate Class car --- and often a ride between the AVIS lot and the Terminal. With that in mind, I emailed the Berlin AVIS office directly, in German, noting my status and requesting an upgrade to a Mercedes 4-door sedan with automatic transmission. I also asked that the car be delivered to my hotel (Marriott) at 10am (on the day we would be leaving Berlin to drive south toward Bavaria).

The next day I received a warm response, in German, assuring me that I would have an Automatic Transmission and an upgrade to an Audi A6 or Saab or Mercedes --- none of which actually came to pass.

Here's what happened. At 10am "ein Knabe" (a young man) delivered an Audi A4 4-dr Sedan with a Manual Transmission. (Incidentally, at home in NJ I am now driving a new Audi A4 3.2Liter 6-cylinder automatic transmission convertible which I love.) Anyway, even though I didn't get the automatic transmission or upgrade I had expected, it was a delight to drive all over Germany (Autobahns, highways, byways, and cobblestone alleys) in the "6-on-the-floor" Audi A4.

Oh! I brought my Garmin C340 GPS (with the mini-chip for Germany) along with me. I was amazed that the navigation system was "balls on" accurate thru the entire trip --- including some 14th Century towns such as Rothenburg ob Tauber which was a maze of narrow alleys. We never once got lost.
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, MR Ambassador, HH Gold
Did you try calling the Chairman's desk to make the arrangements first or did you just deal with Berlin Avis?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.