Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AVIS Expired Tabs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2024, 10:33 am

A UK member here who rents in the US a few times a year. Here in the UK, licence (registration) plates do not expire and stay with a vehicle for the life of the vehicle, unless it is swapped out for a personalised (vanity) plate. It never occurred to me to check the plates in the US whilst renting- what should I be looking for please?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by shonerm
A UK member here who rents in the US a few times a year. Here in the UK, licence (registration) plates do not expire and stay with a vehicle for the life of the vehicle, unless it is swapped out for a personalised (vanity) plate. It never occurred to me to check the plates in the US whilst renting- what should I be looking for please?
Depends on the state. Most have a sticker on the rear plate with the month/year of expiry. Some states like New York issue a sticker that goes on the inside of the windscreen. These get replaced annually.
Auto Enthusiast and shonerm like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by born sleepy
Depends on the state. Most have a sticker on the rear plate with the month/year of expiry. Some states like New York issue a sticker that goes on the inside of the windscreen. These get replaced annually.
few states(PA comes to mind) don't issue validation sticker anymore and you would have to check the glove box for registration.
There are also many states that issue permanent registration stickers(Perm/Fleet/PM etc), but Avis doesn't seem to always opt into it, especially California, for whatever reason
​​​
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:17 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by hourglass
few states(PA comes to mind) don't issue validation sticker anymore and you would have to check the glove box for registration.
There are also many states that issue permanent registration stickers(Perm/Fleet/PM etc), but Avis doesn't seem to always opt into it, especially California, for whatever reason
​​​
Regarding the "fleet" plates/stickers, I'm glad when rental companies opt out. As a tourist, I don't want anything on the vehicle saying that I'm not familiar with the area, I'm likely to have a suitcase full of luggage, or anything else that would make me a more likely target. FL used to have license plates that were give aways that they were rental cars, but fortunately that stopped in the early 90s. But now with the new Florida "PM" registration stickers, it's as easy as ever to tell you're a rental. https://yourmileagemayvary.com/2022/...ed-in-florida/
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Regarding the "fleet" plates/stickers, I'm glad when rental companies opt out. As a tourist, I don't want anything on the vehicle saying that I'm not familiar with the area, I'm likely to have a suitcase full of luggage, or anything else that would make me a more likely target. FL used to have license plates that were give aways that they were rental cars, but fortunately that stopped in the early 90s. But now with the new Florida "PM" registration stickers, it's as easy as ever to tell you're a rental. https://yourmileagemayvary.com/2022/...ed-in-florida/
until they do away with the very obvious toll boxes and barcodes on the windshield.

Permanent reg doesn't always mean rentals though, many company cars have those as well

Also, don't leave laptops/electronics in the car. Thieves have Bluetooth beacon scanners and your window will be smashed if they detect something
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by hourglass
​​​
Oh don't forget the red Colorado FLEET plates.

Most people wouldn't know that means "rental" unlike some countries where Avis puts their name all over the back of the car, thanks Avis Israel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.