Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

Is it better to return a car a day late or a day early?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2024, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA(xPLT now GLD), UA, DL, HH(GLD), MR(GLD), HY(DIS), and others...

I'm renting an SUV to move some belongings from New York to Chicago later this month. I have an Avis reservation for a one way rental for 3 days (Sat-Tues) at a reasonable rate which appears to be $103.50 per day with no dropoff charge. (By the way, I am not picking up or dropping off at an airport.)

If the weather is good, this is a 2 day drive and I could easily return the car on day 2 (Monday). If the weather holds me up, it could be 3 days, or longer (Tuesday return or later).

Which way would you reserve the trip? 2 days and pay for extra days if necessary? 3 days and return the car early if possible?

Does anyone have an idea of whether they would reduce the charge for an early return of the car? And what would be the charge if I held it an extra day?
Old Feb 2, 2024, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Your contract will show extra day charges (or per day charges). Personally I would rent for 2 days and then extend for a day if weather is not nice. Sometimes (although not usually for most leisure post-pay rates) they will not allow early returns and/or rates can change. But for extra days it's shown or the same (for short term 2-4 days rentals such as the one you're describing. But again, look at the contract you're reserving, it should show. If it doesn't book it for 2 days and call the 800# and ask them the rate if you extend for a day (or two), they can tell you what happens to the rate. If you don't like it, cancel the reservation. Obv do not book a pre-paid reservation.
echoch likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.