Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting a Canadian non-resident insurance card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2023, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Getting a Canadian non-resident insurance card

I have just picked up a rental car in Sacramento and asked for a Canadian non-resident insurance card so that I can take the car into Canada as part of my trip. However the counter said they do not have any and that I would have to pick one up closer to the border.

Can anyone confirm that I will be able to visit any Avis counters in say Montana and get one of these cards? Ideally I would pick one up before then as it will be more convenient. I am heading east towards Salt Lake City, then up to Yellowstone, Glacier national park and across the border near there.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:49 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Xenor
I have just picked up a rental car in Sacramento and asked for a Canadian non-resident insurance card so that I can take the car into Canada as part of my trip. However the counter said they do not have any and that I would have to pick one up closer to the border.

Can anyone confirm that I will be able to visit any Avis counters in say Montana and get one of these cards? Ideally I would pick one up before then as it will be more convenient. I am heading east towards Salt Lake City, then up to Yellowstone, Glacier national park and across the border near there.
Can you explain what this is? I've never heard of it. Are you Canadian?

We're renting a car in Victoria and I believe my own auto insurance plus my Amex cc will cover me. Rented in Calgary a few years ago with the same suppositions.

But your post has me wondering...
Old Jul 4, 2023, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Can you explain what this is? I've never heard of it. Are you Canadian?

We're renting a car in Victoria and I believe my own auto insurance plus my Amex cc will cover me. Rented in Calgary a few years ago with the same suppositions.

But your post has me wondering...
The Canadian non-resident insurance card is only an issue if you're driving a U.S.-plated car (your own or a rental) across the border into Canada. If you're renting a car in Canada, you're fine.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 5:19 pm

Thank you.

Is this new?

I've driven from Oregon up to Vancouver in my own car and never got one (early 2000's), and I also recall driving my own car from New Jersey to Niagara Falls (1980's) and never got one.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you.

Is this new?

I've driven from Oregon up to Vancouver in my own car and never got one (early 2000's), and I also recall driving my own car from New Jersey to Niagara Falls (1980's) and never got one.
Here's an informative article:

https://www.consolidatedinsurance.co...of-the-border/

("Go Canada: Does Your Insurance Cover You North of the Border?")
Old Jul 4, 2023, 5:51 pm

Thanks again.

Still confusing "you don't need anything but your own insurance if staying less than 180 days"...but..."you should have this card"...and it also says for "interprovincial" travel, which to me means going from BC to Alberta, etc.

Oh, remembered another one - up to NS, NB, PEI, in our us-plated rental car. This was in 1996.

I'll be on the safe side and get one next time I head north.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again.

Still confusing "you don't need anything but your own insurance if staying less than 180 days"...but..."you should have this card"...and it also says for "interprovincial" travel, which to me means going from BC to Alberta, etc.

Oh, remembered another one - up to NS, NB, PEI, in our us-plated rental car. This was in 1996.

I'll be on the safe side and get one next time I head north.
If you Google "Canada yellow insurance card," and click on images, you can see samples of this card.

Even though the card says "inter-province," I think you still need it even if you're just going to visit one Canadian province from the U.S. It's essentially proof of valid insurance for a U.S. vehicle driven into Canada.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 3:54 pm

Data point, Avis LGA did not provide one when asked earlier this year. They said they don't issue them at all any more. Hertz told me the same thing back in 2022. CBSA did not ask for anything at the land border both times, not even the rental agreement.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 3:59 pm

I did some looking, too, and the opinions are all over the lot. One said to ask when you land in Canada and go to get the car - they will either give you one for free or tell you that you don't need one. That sounds like a plan for my situation, even though the car rental in Calgary didn't say anything.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 7:24 pm

I asked this question through different CBSA agents and all of them told me that it was not required to carry that card, as long as the car is a properly insured.
All of the third party websites or rental agencies could not provide the source of that requirement, so it could be outdated.
It is very interesting that you just couldn't find any information regarding the yellow card requirement from the government website, CBSA, or the Canadian Council of Insurance Regulators website.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 7:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
Here's an informative article:

https://www.consolidatedinsurance.co...of-the-border/

("Go Canada: Does Your Insurance Cover You North of the Border?")
Originally Posted by guv1976
If you Google "Canada yellow insurance card," and click on images, you can see samples of this card.

Even though the card says "inter-province," I think you still need it even if you're just going to visit one Canadian province from the U.S. It's essentially proof of valid insurance for a U.S. vehicle driven into Canada.
US proof of insurance card is fine provided US insurer is a party to Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Power of Attorney and Undertaking (PAU).

https://www.ccir-ccrra.org/PrivatePassengerAutomobiles

US insurers regular proof is sufficient.

Originally Posted by jizen
I asked this question through different CBSA agents and all of them told me that it was not required to carry that card, as long as the car is a properly insured.
All of the third party websites or rental agencies could not provide the source of that requirement, so it could be outdated.
It is very interesting that you just couldn't find any information regarding the yellow card requirement from the government website, CBSA, or the Canadian Council of Insurance Regulators website.
It is on CCIR site under Power of Attorney and Undertaking.

Originally Posted by Xenor

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
Data point, Avis LGA did not provide one when asked earlier this year. They said they don't issue them at all any more. Hertz told me the same thing back in 2022. CBSA did not ask for anything at the land border both times, not even the rental agreement.
Do you have your own liability coverage? If so are they part of PAU in link above?

It does not appear Avis/Hertz etc is a party to this. So that would imply if you don’t normally have insurance (eg don’t own a car), Avis/Hertz coverage provided liability may not necessarily extend into Canada unless their liability coverage is offered by another company that is part of PAU.

Last edited by seawolf; Jul 16, 2023 at 7:44 pm
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I too will be renting a car in the U.S. and driving it into Canada for a few days before returning the car in the U.S. So it seems like all I need is proof that I have liability insurance through my own insurance company (Allstate). But all my Allstate insurance card shows is my policy number, make and model of the own car, and the expiration date of my coverage. No $ amount of liability insurance is shown, in fact liability insurance isn't even mentioned. Is this sufficient to drive a rental car into Canada?
Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I too will be renting a car in the U.S. and driving it into Canada for a few days before returning the car in the U.S. So it seems like all I need is proof that I have liability insurance through my own insurance company (Allstate). But all my Allstate insurance card shows is my policy number, make and model of the own car, and the expiration date of my coverage. No $ amount of liability insurance is shown, in fact liability insurance isn't even mentioned. Is this sufficient to drive a rental car into Canada?
The "declarations" page(s) of your personal auto-insurance policy should have this information.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:18 am

Programs: DL DM/1M, AA Gold, Hilton LTD
I was advised to get one when driving from Detroit to Windsor; the DTW Avis didn't have them at the Preferred Counter, so I had to go to the main building.

They also suggested it wasn't 100% necessary, but I insisted and they gave me some little paper insurance card to throw in the glovebox. It seemed to contain no personal information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.